Sketchbook: Elaine's sketchbook - Do or do not, there is no try.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elaine's sketchbook - Do or do not, there is no try.

Hello Ca I've been lurking on the site for a few months now and have finally gotten the guts to open up my own sketchbook thread. As seems to be customary I'll start with a little bit about myself.

My name is elaine and I'm a 36 year old stay at home mum to a 4 year old, maybe a little old to be starting on the road to improve my art but we'll see how it goes. When i was younger I studied art at my local college, and went on to a fashion and textile design course that turned out not to be my real cup of tea and didn't lead anywhere. Through it all though I have kept my love of art, especially fantasy and sci-fi art, drawing pictures for friends and family and just for fun. Lately though I have become inspired to try and improve and hopefully along with the aid of the helpful community at CA I will keep alive my lifelong dream of one day drawing professionaly.

For my first post I've scanned the most recent pages of my sketchbook , a self portrait that failed, some quick still lifes, some face/nose practices from magazines and one of my more interesting hogarth studies. I also have a shedload of loomis head practices and some stuff from anatomy books but i won't bore anyone with that at the moment. Will try to post every day with pretty much all I do but any parents among you will hopefully forgive me if I miss a few days

Crits always welcome

Edit: To get a better thumbnail image Have added the images from this first post to the next one below

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Saffire Dragon; June 15th, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have a lot of time for drawing today, but will post what i did

For the first time i tried doing some gesture drawings, they haven't turned out particularly well but no-one is great at anything the very first time The first couple are 45 second poses from posemaniacs, the others are one minute poses from http://pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html. There were more but these turned out the best i think. I thought I'd give myself a bit longer to start with, then work my way down to 30 second poses as i get more confident with it. Will try to do some of these every day, I need to learn to work faster Not sure if i did them exactly right but i think i got the right idea.

Also a page of faces from a magazine - trying to work on values/rendering using the planes of the face.

Edit: added the images from the first post

Last edited by Saffire Dragon; April 12th, 2011 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I did a few gesture sketches, one page from posemaniacs at 45sec, and a page from the gesture tool site at 60 secs. drew them with fineline pen this time to try to get a bit more confidence. I spent the rest of the day on the Renoir study - trying to improve my rendering/values, using a greater range of pencils. Have also posted an acrylic painting of my fiance from life that I finished recently for my online figure drawing course. i had to scan it in two parts as it's about A3 size so wouldn't fit on the scanner so if it's a bit wonky in the middle, that's where i joined it together

Am guessing that because of the renoir boobage I'll have to mark this as nsfw now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some bridgeman anatomy from last night, which seemed to help with todays gesture drawings - they seem a little better to me at least. The project for today was to work on rendering the basic forms - an exersise from loomis successful drawing book. I tried in pencil and also took about my first attempt at a digital painting using gimp. Still need work on blending in digital I think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start for your sketchbook Elaine !

The onions drawings in the first post are beautiful, and the shading in last post looks good. If you keep practicing head construction like you do, your people drawings will be great.

Hope to see more updates soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Volute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Volute - Thanks for the comment and encouragement

Some gesture drawings for today ( i think i'm starting to get the hang of them ) and some studies. One from Hogarths book of dynamic hands and the rest are bridgeman. My Bridgeman book of 100 hands arrived today so I may spend a few days practicing hands...at the moment hands are my nemesis so I aim to change that

My sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...15#post3032315

I do draw every day, but being a busy mum, don't always get time to update.

Comments and crits are always welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I had a quick look at the beginning of vilppu's drawing manual and tried to do my gesture drawings in the style he recommended. Not sure i quite got it but the last few seem better. As usual, posemaniacs 45 sec and gesture drawing tool 60 sec. Also found that the gesture drawing site has an animal section so messed about with a page of animal gestures too. Also managed a quick ( 20 mins or so ) biro pen sketch of my fiance and son ( who decided to fall asleep with his legs on daddy's lap about halfway through).

Then.... hands, hands and more hands. from bridgeman's constructive anatomy and 100 hands book.

Last edited by Saffire Dragon; March 2nd, 2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great rendering, only you anatomy is a slightly off (same like me)
    but your studying good so you learn it in no time.
    good job and keep working

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlyhamster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadlyhamster- Thanks for commenting Anatomy is a pain - so much to learn. It'll take a fair while but if we both keep up the studies we'll get there. Practice makes perfect as they say

A bit boring today I'm afraid Gesture drawings for today to warm up - as per usual Then i tried to start working from bridgeman's Faces and features book, but i struggled a lot with the perspective so i followed this perspective tutorial http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181436 for a refresher course. May do some more hand studies from bridgeman to wind down after trying to get my brain around 3 point perspective. Will post them as an edit if I get time before bed, tomorrow if not

Edit : added a page of bridgeman hands and a partial page of studies of Michaelangelo hands, trying to construct them using bridgeman's method wherever i could work out the construction lines.

Last edited by Saffire Dragon; February 25th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posemaniacs refused to load for me today so i did two pages of pixlovely gestures. then I did some more Loomis, head and hands studies before finally deciding i was brave enough to draw some heads from imagination. On the fourth sheet - the top row of heads are copied from loomis and the rest are from my head....fairly obviously Then a sheet of bridgeman hands before bed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did the usual 2 sheets of gesture drawings today, both from pixelovely...only scanned one though as I thought they may be getting a bit boring Today's assignment was studies from Bridgman's heads,features and faces book, and a page of hands. Also did a another sketch of my long-suffering fiance which i think shows some improvement - I think all these hand studies may be paying off : Took about 40mins with 3b pencil and as usual I had to attach more bits of paper to fit everything on. All together it was a little smaller than A3 so i had to scan it in sections and join it together with some tidying up to erase the masking tape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! Make sure you apply Bridgeman's lessons with some imagination and life studies instead of just copying the book's drawings.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical - Thanks for the comment and advice. i tried to use what I had recently covered in my bridgman studies in todays work ( what little there is of it )

Today was a busy day so not much drawing time, but while out running errands i found a copy of Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain in our pitiful little library ( also a book on the pre-raphaelites so may do some studies from that as well at some point ). I've read some people recomend it, and some recomend against it but I figured I'd pick it up for a read and maybe tackle a few of the exercises. The first thing it tells you to do is a self portrait, a drawing of your hand and a drawing of someone you know done from memory so....here they are, along with a page of gestures. A slightly less fail self portrait, a page of studies of my own hand trying to draw from what i've learned from bridgman, and a very fail portrait of my fiance from memory ( much appologies hun ) From what i can gather these are for reference so you can look back and laugh at them after finishing all the exercises in the book. Here's hoping

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again not much today as I took ages to get into "drawing mode". No gestures as i didnt have time this morning but here's what i did get done. The first two are exercises from the drawing on the right side of the brain book - the vases/faces exercise and a picasso drawing copied upside down. Next is a sheet of eye studies from bridgman and lastly a (pretty boring ) head from imagination with no reference used. It seems i need to work more on ears, and on nose...and definately on expression but all in all I'm pleased with it as it's the best face/head I've ever drawn from imagination

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some gestures for today -60 seconds from pixelovely.com. Trying to do them a bit bigger and try to get proportions right...did two sheets but only scanned one Also some eyes and noses from hogarth/bridgman, another sketch of my other half, about 45 mins with 3b/hb pencil ( I know his legs are wrong...no idea how that happened ) and a page of faces trying to show expressions. I used the page of expession diagrams from loomis's fun with a pencil and made up faces for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For today, a page of the gesture drawings i did, plus a 10 minute pose from pixelovely.com. Also a 40-45 min sketch of my fiance ( about the only time i get to draw him is while he watches the x-files lol ). Then I did what i think would be called a photo study from a magazine ( hopefully any Brits viewing will be able to recognise jade Goody ). I tried to focus on taking my time, measuring out features and trying to really study what i was drawing. I wasn't timing it but i think it was around 2 hours. After that I tried to remember the pose and draw it from memory as a fantasy type character. I think i still need more work on hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to show today, but that doesnt mean i didn't do anything Spent most of the morning trying to render the sketch of Jade i did yesterday... I'm a beginner when it comes to digital art so at the moment it's a very laborious process but I think I'm learning from it. If nothing else i've realised that I tend to draw eyes too small . Will work some more on it tomorrow. Have also posted the reference I'm working from and a sheet of the gestures i did to warm up.

Last edited by Saffire Dragon; March 4th, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: forgot attachments - doh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! nice improvement I see! Rarely the arms and forearms seem a little too long. I advice to think to a head much as a ball. May I ask what do you use for digital? books and "hardware".. I'm totally strange to it.. thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan_kolor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivan_kolor - Thanks for your comments and for pointing out my occasional arm problems I decided to try brushing up on proportions to try to combat that as for what I use for my digital stuff, I just use Gimp ( a free, basic art program download from here http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ ) for now until I feel I'm confident enough to buy a more professional program like photoshop. same for my tablet. I bought a cheap one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Widesc...361623&sr=1-23) so I can get used to using them, as trying to draw with a mouse is a bit awkward, but I couldn't afford a top of the range tablet. It's a little small but ok for what I need it for and a heck of a lot easier than using a mouse

On to what I did today - I had a nice long lie in so no gestures this morning. I spent some more time working on rendering the face sketch from thursday, then worked on some basic anatomy stuff from Loomis and finished off a page of neck muscle studies from my anatomy book that i started yesterday but didnt get time to finish.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Saffire Dragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of sheets of gestures today. I posted both as I did the first one as usual, then partway through the second I randomly started to sketch in the body masses as shapes which I think was more useful in plotting proportions. I may try a couple of sheets that way tomorrow. After that I needed something easy to do away from the computer (mommy duties today ) so I did some Loomis Head+ hands stuff. The heads seem to be getting easier to do - and i think a little more accurate, but that could be because i started trying to sketch in the guidelines with blue or red pencil first.

Last edited by Saffire Dragon; March 6th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your sketchbook ! I'm not in a place to criticise, so I only think everything looks great. I especially love the shapes of your hands, they are just so nice to look at . I'm really happy that you're dedicating yourself to heads/faces as well, you will be a champion at them in no time I bet.

I also love the sketches of your fiance, they're so cute! Makes me want to sketch my boyfriend lol.

I'm certain if you keep applying yourself in this kind of capacity (you are getting a lot done!) you will reach your goal of drawing professionally.

Thanks for the great sketchbook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterknife For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Butterknife- Thank you for the comment and encouragement

Today wasn't a good day - really tired and have a sore throat Did get a few things done though. A couple of sheets of gestures, some Loomis head measurement stuff, a silly doodle ( with huuuge hands ) of a cupcake fairy i did while watching TV and a study after Renoir which I may colour at some point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still feeling rough today but started on another acrylic painting of my other half which will be the last exercise needed for my online figure drawing course. it's supposed to be in Renoir style but looks more van gogh to me at the moment - I'm just not used to doing visible brush strokes. Also did a couple of sheets of bridgman hands and tried to start a sheet of hands from imagination but failed dismally so didnt scan it. Will try again after a bit more study when I'm not to tired

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really impressed by how careful and clean your drawings look!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see you're updating your sketchbook very often, your drawings are always very pleasant to look at.

The faces you draw are already starting to look better

Looking forward to your next update.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Volute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Volute and Vertical - Thanks for the comments Nice to see that other people are noticing an improvement - at least i know it's not just wishful thinking

Sorry for leaving it so long without an update. I've spent most of the last few days in bed with a rotten attack of flu. Am starting to feel well enough to draw again so I'm back This is what I've managed to work on over the last few days. I've been concentrating on hands to have a break from faces The first three pages are from Loomis head and hands book, then I attempted a page of hands from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was a lovely spring Sunday today so spent most of the day at the playground with our son. These two sheets of loomis hands are all I managed to do after we got back - hands are still taking me ages, especially the foreshortened ones. Need to work on them more, and maybe do some more faces tomorrow too so I can avoid getting rusty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been back to working on heads the last two days, along with a bit of work on my acrylic painting (which is still stuck to my drawing board so i can't really scan it ).

Two sheets from Loomis head + hands book, then a page of faces from a magazine trying to work out where smile muscles actually go. I think I was a bit wrong on the first 3 with my muscle placement but I was pleased with the actual drawings of faces themselves

Must get back to doing gesture drawings tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today was going to be a relaxing day - fiance had a day off work so I planned on a few sheets of loomis while watching TV. I did some gestures to warm up and while I got out my pencils and paper along came our 4 year old with one of his toys and said "draw this car mummy". He was pretty inststant so I gave in instead of risking a sulk. If I'd have known how hard it would be I'd have taken the sulk I've never drawn a car in my life, and i realised it would be an exercise in perspective... and boy was it. The first one is obviously completely distorted. My guess was because the vanishing points were too close together so I did a quick rough sketch to try to figure out where i was going wrong. Then the next perspective sketch was better but there were problems with the hood/bonnet and i think my vanishing points still weren't working.... so, like i do when all else fails I googled. "how to do perspective when the vanishing points are off the edge of the paper" to be exact. Found this tutorial/thread which helped a lot http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=130363 and the next car I did was at least half-way presentable. Still a very very long way to go but I will NOT let that car beat me. I will keep hold of it ( as long as kiddo doesn't notice i still have it ) and I WILL eventually make a decent picture of it. You'll see that some of the decoration details differ on some of them - was trying things out

The pile of rubbish you see below ( which I'm kind of embarrassed to be showing ) is the result of about 4 hours of blood sweat and tears, plus a sheet of loomis I did at the end to stop my brain melting.

Edit: Looking at them posted up now, I think the third car has the better proportions, it's just the problems with the hood/bonnet throwing it off.

Last edited by Saffire Dragon; March 16th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vey nice sketchbook you can see an improvement already. And keep doing the out of proportion disfigured faces as I feel they are very strong images and look very good ,

Keep it up

Xx

40. The Following User Says Thank You to jack1995 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1