View Poll Results: Who is the true steampunk goddess of love?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • ChoW#233 :: VOTING :: Steampunk Aphrodite

21 11.80%

1 0.56%

1 0.56%

3 1.69%

23 12.92%

1 0.56%

11 6.18%

3 1.69%

11 6.18%

1 0.56%

11 6.18%

36 20.22%

2 1.12%

1 0.56%

3 1.69%

4 2.25%

1 0.56%

51 28.65%

28 15.73%

1 0.56%

4 2.25%

72 40.45%

87 48.88%

2 1.12%

17 9.55%

1 0.56%

13 7.30%

3 1.69%

5 2.81%

3 1.69%

1 0.56%

3 1.69%

10 5.62%

5 2.81%

26 14.61%

6 3.37%

11 6.18%

8 4.49%

1 0.56%

21 11.80%

5 2.81%

8 4.49%

14 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's my finished CHOW. Good works everyone, this was a really fun round.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    heres my final.
    See you all next week! =)

Thanks

Thanks

steampunk aphrodite

Here's my final--sorry if the order is wrong--it's my first time doing this and I'm having trouble with the upload.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1298230718

Thanks
    Steampunk Aphrodite

Thanks
    Started over from scratch a couple of hours before the deadline... typical. This is as far as I could get. Thanks for another great CHoW people!

ChoW#233 :: VOTING :: Steampunk Aphrodite

Thanks

Smile

My first CHOW ever

->Steampunk Aphrodite

Thanks
    final+wip
    Last edited by finnaith; February 20th, 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks
    I really need to stop posting last minute, its nerve wrecking!

Attachment 1173912

Attachment 1173914

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Pat on the back everyone!
    Last edited by Rusty; February 20th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There are some very creative entries. Nice job everyone!

Thanks
    taking a small stylistic license for this darker steampunk aphrodite hope i make it to poll.
    she's suposed to be the ideal of aphrodite in a rather dim dystopian world..
    i may render her bright sister later.

t'was a very fun round! i love the entries we have!

Thanks
    Deadline! Few mins grace

Thanks
    First time entering CHOW... i got caught up in my coloring and unfortunately did not take any progress sketches while coloring. I do however have the b&w version before color. Looking forward to seeing other finished pieces!ChoW#233 :: VOTING :: Steampunk Aphrodite
    and here's a progress shot...

Thanks
    Some crits! Let's do this:

Crumbelievable: This picture looks very fun. Great pose, great composition. It does look a bit... incomplete though. Your approach went beyond a "concept" piece and right to a full-blown painting - but then it wasn't quite taken all the way in the rendering department. I'm sure you know what I mean. That said, still one of the strongest entries this round.

artina: Well done, not much to critique. My favorite part is the hand holding the feather. Very nice. Her right leg looks a bit flat, lacking anatomy in the knee region and her naso-labial fold (smiling crease) looks a bit strange, maybe the coloring. No big problems though, good piece.

MarcSampson: One of the best poses and silhouettes here. A lot of things are working here. I'd add more highlights and show what kind of material her boots or stockings are made of. The tips are pointy, but I can't really see her toes held inside. The material would have to be sturdy and rigid to form this point.

goldilockz: Well done, strong anatomy and overall very solid. It looks a bit matte - some specular highlights would have gone a long way to make it "pop". Her goggles for example could have use some extra attention. I don't know about those gears on her wings just floating there, but you could make a case for them, since this they are probably not meant to be functional.

Vilya: I can tell you like boots Those boots have more design in them then any other element and you made them look cool! The smoke on the other hand... takes a way from the image. It looks like you spend 2 hours on the boots and 30 seconds on the smoke. Her right deltoid (shoulder) is a bit swollen looking.

PxelSlayer: Pretty cool entry, I'm sure you'll get plenty of votes. It does look a bit too high-tech with those tentacle-hoses, but you knew that. Her left arm and especially the hand bother me. Her face and hair rocks though!

nAniA: Overall I like it, yet I do have some pointers. The background, particularly the ground is messy, it takes away from the character design a little. No huge issue. Her silver heart on the belt: Great job painting that! It's super catchy. I think her legs and feet could have used more definition. Some solid structure. Maybe using a rim light would have been a good idea to really stress the form.

Felida: This is perhaps the most complete piece. It's clear you enjoyed the process. There is a lot of real illustration-action going on. Good stuff! I'm not sure why you made her cross-eyed, it does catch the attention, especially because her eyes are so dark and thus there is a lot of contrast (white of the eye and dark iris, thus light/dark contrast). Anyway, you deserve plenty of votes for this strong piece!

Taimic: This is a strong piece. However, it doesn't really have much concept design in it. It's mostly a chick illustration. Certainly reminds me of bengal.

thedestroyer: One of my faves here, for sure. This is just such a fun piece. Very playful and sexy. I'm not sure why her braid goes up at an angle like that, but maybe she has wire inside. A tie and a collar? Great stuff! I bet she'd be a blast to hang out with

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hate ma printer... but i want to post it.
    Successful Troll is Successful
    My deviantart
    My Sketchbook
    trolls exist! who else killed all the unicorns?
    My brother Partisan
    TONS OF TUTOIRALS

Thanks
    Mino Pixelslayer and Rusty got my vote
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    Hm, I am a bit at a loss looking at the current standings...

Thanks
    pixelslayer / rusty... you both killed it.
    rusty: my only issue with yours is that the character alone doesn't immediately say steam punk to me.
    pixelslayer: i would have voted for yours but i think its a bit too much in the direction of robot, or "industrial design" and not enough "character design"....
    so i went with rusty in the end.
    great stuff guys.

Thanks
    pixelslayer / rusty... you both killed it.
    rusty: my only issue with yours is that the character alone doesn't immediately say steam punk to me.
    pixelslayer: i would have voted for yours but i think its a bit too much in the direction of robot, or "industrial design" and not enough "character design"....
    so i went with rusty in the end.
    great stuff guys.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ok here we go. just the way i see things.

personal favourite: pxlslayer i find it extremly well executed, appealing and elegant. you rock. (vote)

now, if i had to choose one as an art director: Mino this works on many levels. it has thought put onto it. its clever, and think it could satisfy a large audience. also, it has lots of character and sticks to topic perfectly. i love it. (vote)

crumbeliavable: i like her eyes. her attitude and pose. you could prolly push back a few elemnts around her to make her stand out.
    Dayle: love the idea of her dancing/ballerina on those gears, and using wind to stress that. the robe is sorta distracting. keep it up!
    finnaith: nice pose, and simplistic idea to portray her. would be nice to have more ambient colour/dramatic lighting on her (some extra light sources)
    nikola marinkovic: this is a pretty weird take on the subject, kudos for that. and shes in jail? the "heart" on the jar ws a nice touch. light sources seem unclear. keep em coming!
    Artina: love her pose, and overall rendering/style. could prolly benefit from a little more steampunk side to it as she looks pretty much victorian right now?
    Bleurgh: nice robot-steam kind of suit man!. the torch is a bit distracting, and she could use more "aphrodite" elements on her. keep it up!
    Eclectix: now this is a pretty original take on it! i see im not the only one who's gone a bit off the road. love the stempunk-aphrodite-fairy style! nicely rendered.
    Fdisk: thats an interesting bow. she reminds me of the queen of hearts frmo alice in wonderland, somehow.. woudl love to see her in a more dynamic pose.. specially with that bow. that glowing arrow is ace.
    Felida: now this is called a fine illustration. it's simply well done. and keeps the eye busy. no crits at all. (vote)
    Frazensceptre: interesting outfit there, maybe add some extra steampunk ideas..? a darker background could also help her but all around. good job!
    goldilockz: this is well drawn, well rendered, and steampunk, great job. maybe some extra brainstorming/references could add that extra sparkle! keep em comin!
    BH (i dont see the name): this is a fine take my man. i don't have much crits really... love the dynamism and balance. great job.
    kurios: nice research in your wips, and gj at the idea of her fixing hearts, liked that. you could prolly add some extra sensual side to her, since she's aphrodite and a bit more rusttt for that steamypunky look.
    LA Fairy: i like her outfit, and she being a redhead lol. i think ppl gave a lot of cool advice back then in the other page,... so hope you keep em coming!!
    LTPlissken: woa, well. heavy feel, nice choice of colours man. and also kudos for telling a story. i agree with the all around crit that those boobs are massive, but then again it may be your style! keep it up.
    Malakuko (i hope): i love the way she is blazing through the sky, nice steam-propelled thing. i could only say that she strikes me more as an adventurer of sorts than an aphrodite. nice!
    Marc sampson: nice pose, nice rendering. i like tht crown specilly. a lil crit, mabye bring in more stempunk elements... mhhhhh. gj.
    oldboy115: hey i looove that arm design!! please can we see some colour next time? keep it up dude.
    plimoun46: this is looking sweet and i like the flat colour on it. i'd suggest more on the "goddess" side maybe. mhhh. gj!
    Rusty: this is probably the most well rendered piece over here. you're style of rend. reminds me of Nox.... pheww . also, nice composition and glamour feel to it!!
    RXMT: i like the wild design you put onto her! you could polish that anatomy a bit. cool you're around
    SaintLconcept: this has an ellaborate design and i love the little flying "cherub"! do keep em coming.
    Seanmclaine: mhhh this has a lot of potential man. you pay attention to details and it seems to pay off. hope you finish it!!
    Taimic: a most original take on the topic. i dont know what to crit really.., pretty well done and subtle. gj!
    theDestroyer: nice. you stress the "punk" side of it heheheh! she could also make a good pirate!
    Vilya: creative outfit design, and those boots..... the best part imo. so detailed. keep it up!
    Windsrock: this looks soft and expressive, nicee. wonder if we could see more of her steampunk side?
    Trudy: looking good so far! heheh, itd be killer if you finished her, and post it!! (nice red haaair)
    Candlephoenix: hey i love her fan! and her pose is spot on also. her head looks a little funny tho.
    Carnifex: ahhhhhhh this piece i LOVE my man. the simplistic complementary colours you choose only strengthen the brilliant idea you had. you get my vote for being amazing and fresh!! luuuve the perspective/scale. and that lil guy.... his cane.. no comments lmao. (vote)
    dragon4lunch: well, i think you got away with your pinup feel! i dig the rendering/simplcity, card idea also cool. and the vents on the heart are a good touch.
    JanJager: nice way to take on from the Venus de Milo. you really stressed the steam side to it, and that i love. i also admire how hard you work your ass off each weak in all disciplines man. congrats.
    MJ_alcazar: her hairstyle is what i like the most, and her outfit (legs) also nice pose. and.. wth.. great shoes! you're a great designer.
    nAniA: mhhhh you have a delicate rendering and choice of colours i can see. a vibrant illustration. keep em coming plz..
    RicoD: you did a great job with her outfit and that zeppeling adds a touch for sure. make sure you check on your horizons/vanishing points, something feels wrong bout her against the shore. gj!
    snippet: she looks nicely rendered. specially her dress. you could prolly push a bit further on the stempunk side? keep it up plz.
    Tbaldree: well man, what can i say, you nailed perfectly what you aimed for haha! great job.
    Thedirtsyndicate: interesting design on her dress, and the arm. that arm looks highly mechanical. do consider spending some time in her head/hair. i like it! nice texture!
    Tamarin: wee... i love the angle/pose/rendering style, this is fresh and airy! her head does feel a bit odd, her features actually. but i love it! gj.
    Tempesthaze: this is such a fine rendering/pose you have here.i love her expression. so peacefull and warm. prolly my fave face in this thread. the steampunk elements seem a bit diluted.. mhhhh, maybe its that greek column? great job man.

jesus,that took forver lol.
    cheers

26. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to noche For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    I voted for Janjager because I liked the concept, it had a nice goddessy clockwork vibe to it and it seemed the most finished. However I wish it weren't so red.

Thanks
    I voted Mino & Tbaldri

tbaldri because the idea is so unique and mino for awesome execution of the concept.

I would have given a vote to rusty too but its looks too unfinished to me. Not sure if this is intentional? Awesome if you finish it though!

Overall I think there was a lot of work that looked mostly unfinished.
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kittymeow84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the crits, dragon4lunch and noche. Both of your critics were very helpful and inspiring to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Personal faves and votes this round:

Eclectix, I like the composition the most, nice readable silhouette. Doesn't scream Steampunk design but a lot of us failed there.

fdisk, I like all the small design details you put into the costume, everything works well with your style. Could've done without background stuff though imo.

mino, Sweet line drawing man and it's good to see you got the right balance between color and line in your final. That little steam cloud shooting out of the birds head is the only thing I'm not feelin`

pxelSlayer, Love where you ended up dude, lighting is ace! I think if you made the crowds a bit more clearer it would make it way more immersive (a few blurred hands/heads on the foreground)

Candlephoenix, Cute drawing but your coloring doesn't do it any justice.

Carnifex, As an illustration yours is my fave this round. Has a lot of potential but you got too lazy in the end buddy ;p (like i can talk , heh!) Has a Jon Foster feel to it, the slightly skewed angles, playful and fairy tale narrative.

dragon4lunch, Like myself i can feel you struggling with the Steampunk theme here. Nicely composed image and some solid rendering, she's a little lifeless though...even scary!

tbaldtree, Dat ass! Seriously that's all i see ;p Cute image.

TheDirtSyndicate, Costume design wise yours is my favorite. It conveys everything Steampunk (without resorting to goggles, heh!) with a sexy edge to it, well done man.

Replies:

TheDirtSyndicate, Yeah, i fail at Steampunk, never had the eye for it.

kittymeow84, Yeah it's nowhere near finished, ran out of time in the end so i entered what i had.
    Last edited by Rusty; February 21st, 2011 at 08:41 AM.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My vote went to Pixelslayer as it was the onlyone that gave me the sense of "Goddess".

Ciao
    CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Paolo13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rusty: Good crit, thank you. You're right.

I've had to laugh out loud several times when reading your Bruce Lee quote by the way

Thanks
    I voted for Mino. As impressive as they are, so many of these do not read 'Steampunk Aphrodite' as much as 'Steampunk Woman'.

I liked quite a few pieces for different reasons, but I couldn't help but fall for Mino's piece with its inclusion of Aphrodite's goddess themes such as the ocean and one of her symbolic animals, the swan (albeit in mechanical form)
    Please feel free to check out my SKETCHBLOG!

Thanks
    I totally forgot to submit my final last night. It's probably too late, but I thought I'd throw it up here anyways.

Everyone, fantastic job! It still amazes me to no end how many talent is in this forum. Kudos!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowkitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah, i figured everyone would use goggles so that was my first decision: no goggles. haha
    thanks for the crit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast