Account no longer used, removed posts.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by BrianGarabrant; April 11th, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is really creative and I think thats the thing that counts, but maybe you should look at different objects like clothes, the face, etc and observe how the lights and shadows are arranged.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. i'm not a digital artist, so dont feel qualified to give you advice on techniques, but i just want to say that i think your last picture with the soldier is great. the colours in the background look great, and the soldiers face looks great. I Hope someone is able to help you .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I think I'm in a similar boat as you. It can definitely feel very overwhelming to do a real finished image and take into account ALL of the multitude of aspects that are traditionally required for an awesome finished picture. My advice to you is the same way I'm trying to approach it now. You can't possibly learn everything and apply it all at once in one simultaneous stroke. Any one aspect (such as anatomy, lighting, color, perspective, etc) is going to be a huge subject unto itself to take on, so piece things out for yourself and start small, things that interest you the most or things you feel you are weakest in. Then take that aspect, do your research on theory and the ways good artists have applied it, and then try your own focused studies on them and get feedback/critiques on how you can improve in terms of that aspect alone.

I know that's all a broad method and perhaps goes without saying, but judging from the works you've posted, right now, you're trying to swallow the sandwich whole instead of chewing it in bite sized pieces.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are simply trying too hard.

Relax, and work on the basic things. You merely need a little more experience in several areas, and then you'll be able to pull these things off. But you need to get that experience, and for some of it you have to practice the basics.

The first step to it is identifying the problems. It's all fine dumping the whole bunch here and crying "these do not work", but why don't they work? Have you tried to understand what's wrong with each of them? Knowing the problem is 80% of the solution.

For instance, the first "Ichabod Crane" picture needs more contrast and a lighting recalculation. And "Dr House" needs sticking to the structure and more time spent on constructing the face - you rushed too early into painting. And so on.

On another note, I have a feeling that you are simply shirking on the preparatory work. You want to paint, so you neglect sketching and drawing. But to get a good painting, you need a good drawing first, so by focusing on the "fun" parts you are doing yourself a great disservice. Do more sketches, practice the basics, learn to troubleshoot pictures.

Practice, patience and awareness of what the hell you are doing are all that you really need.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.