Cleaning Pirate! (Finished)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is a silly character concept I just sketched up. His 'peg leg' is a vacuum cleaner and his 'hook hand' is a dust pan. His sword is a broom.

I started with his anatomy first, I used lots of references, and tried to incorporate what I could remember from Marko Djurdjevic's DVD about creating characters.

Now I'd like to know, is there anything I need to modify before I ink him?
    The drapery and the lighting on the drapery is really daunting for me because that's a very weak point for me and it could easily make or break the believability of my drawing. So I want to get it right but I really don't know what I'm doing, even when using references for it. Stupid wrinkly clothes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by manlybrian; February 26th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to read through her stuff before I attempt to do this guy's clothing.
    http://www.mightyartdemos.com/mighty...s-bradley.html

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the idea of mixing a pirate with cleaning devices could be fun, though you really need to push the concept much more, right now it looks more like a pirate where you copy pasted pictures in of a vacuum and the broom. try to mix the two better, maybe rather than a pirate that's holding cleaning tools, think of it as a cleaning-dude gone pirate? try telling a bit of story with the drawing, it will make it look less random =)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah give him some bottles with cleaning agents at his waist maybe or put one of those cleaning car thingies behind him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Solidbebe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point. I'll see if I can remedy that.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added a cleaning cart, spray bottle, belt-towel, and feather duster. After finishing, I noticed the cart isn't really in perspective with the guy's feet. It looks like it's floating. I don't think I'm going to worry about it right now since I already drew the stupid thing, haha. This isn't professional, just practice.

One question I have is, what do you typically do about lighting in concept art? Obviously you want clarity on what everything looks like, so dramatic heavy lighting might not be wise. Is it okay to leave it with just line art (basically like it is right now) or does there need to be a light source?

Also, does he look okay without all the wrinkles in his sleeves and stuff? I'm really not looking forward to ruining the picture because of bad wrinkles, I'd almost rather let him be as he is, and then start practicing my drapery studies after this. Or maybe I should put him aside, practice my drapery until I get it down (who knows how long that will take) and then come back and ink him.

Any thoughts about anything?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some sleeves and a pantleg I just drew. Are these good/bad? Not only do I not have much experience with drawing folds but I'm also not sure how to translate them into an ink style. Any tips or advice?

Edit: Added another study using Jedi battle.

Last edited by manlybrian; February 17th, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pirate looks great now, the idea of pirate + cleaner really shows now, yeah it's out of perspective but I'd say that's no problem. Drawings don't all have to be perfect they can have flaws and it doesn't matter if you know about them and
    as long as you remember it and try to not do it the next time. ( and since it's a perspective thing I don't think you will ).

Anyways about all the folds and inking I really can't help you as much with that. Your fold studies look fine to me and for inking I can only say don't overdo it. Keep the fold lines simple and maybe add the tiniest bit of shadow if any, but that's really general advice.

Good luck with the inking, it would be a shame to see a wonderful concept go to waste because of some unlucky mistakes.

( also maybe you could scan it into the computer and 'ink' it on the computer first if you have the hardware and software to do so. )

Last edited by Solidbebe; February 17th, 2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: My awesome sentences

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Solidbebe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumping this thread with a small update. Just doing one last check to see if anybody has anything else to say before I continue inking him and call it finished. Any advice about inking or drapery? Any comments about my lighting questions pertaining to concept art? Even if some of the work I've done is too late to change, I'd still like to read any comments about what I might have done.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are you inking with? A lot of your lines carry the same weight, none have any real variance. Normally upward planes carry a smaller line weight than a downplane, which will have a thicker line weight depending on the light source.

I also recommend getting a kolinsky sable brush (they hold impeccable points) and inking with a brush or with nibs and a holder - hunt 102, 105 etc plus the speedball brass 'artist' nibs. You can get thick to thin lines and get the type of "feathering" effect you seek in the shadows of his clothing.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just using pens right now. I had one of these guys but I used it up. I still have a black one of these with the same kind of tip but it's bigger of course. Maybe I'll use that to vary my line thickness. I might go over the drawing with it after I'm done though, I'm always nervous to ink the whole thing from the beginning with it.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I'm calling him finished. My first attempt at inking the drapery in his pants was disastrous, so I ended up giving him striped pants to try and cover up the mess. Then the solid black stripes were super heavy and took away from the whole picture so I had to add lots of details everywhere to balance it out. In the end I think it turned out okay. It certainly could be better but I'm happy with it for what it is.

Any comments? Any critiques?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good drawing skills.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, maybe it's just me but I think you did too many creases, the coat arms look baggy and loose, unless this was the look you wanted. I think the striped pants work well, nice adaption. You did a good job.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to EmiPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might be right. I did want them pretty baggy though. I used this guy as reference. The left arm I did from imagination and the right arm I just copied right from the photo, heh. I also applied a lot of his costume design into my character. One other reason for the heavy wrinkles was because I really wanted to balance out the dark stripes on his pants. I needed some darker lines and more chaos on his upper body so his pants didn't attract all the attention. Maybe there's a way to do more subtle folds and wrinkles, but like I mentioned, I'm new to them.

(@Wunts: Thanks!)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's an awesome ref pic. Reenactors rock.

Let's talk about those sleeves. On a heavy aged material like that there are two things to bear in mind. The material has weight, and will drape and show the effects of gravity quite strongly. It is an aged material, so there are permanent creases worn into the fabric too, like on the back of your pants at the end of the day. Both of those are factors that have to be shown of you want to render this type of fabric. In your pic the overall hang of the sleeves should create a sweep downwards, while the permanent creases should add a little texture, but not too much, because the material is heavy and has strong gravity forces.

The folds in the sleeves of this reference pic are exaggerated because his arms are bent, thus taking the weight off the fabric. The folds are caused by compression, not gravity. Look at the back of his right arm (our left) and the top front of his other arm. Those are the vertical forms created by gravity.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Atreides For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gravity part confuses me a bit but I think I understand. I should practice more drapery with those points in mind. Thanks for the comment. Cleaning Pirate! (Finished)

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.