Art: Portrait drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portrait drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait drawing

I HAVE RECEIVED LOTS OF GREAT ADVICES HERE, AND I'M VERRY GREATFUL. I PUT HERE SOME OF WHAT I THINK CAN BE USUFUL FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO WANT TO LEARN

Combine what you know with what you see, but anytime what you know conflicts with what you see, draw what you see. ... And if you want to understand what you see you have to look beyond what is clearly defined for you, see how everything relates, recognize paterns, then try and figure why these things are the way they are.- stabby2486

==============================================

When working on toned paper you want to focus in on the shapes (shadow and light) and work abstractly. I wouldn't worry too much about capturing likeness, that will come as a result of getting accurate shapes.- F!END

The planes-of-head-sheet ... that's good! now do it over and over and over until you can do it from memory. ...

That sheet is an abstraction - it is designed to give you a basic set of tools to build a head that can be rhythmical and where the shapes relate well to each other (when they can). ...

Detail is NOT your friend - not unitl late late late in a drawing. Getting the shadow-shapes right, the light shapes right and key portions of the contour - all of that, I believe will serve you well.

After you have built a better foundation in drawing - beginning to understand how values serve the shapes you are drawing, and how light decays as it falls over a form will then help your 3-Dimensional efforts.- kevinwueste

And if you really want to understand the planes of the head draw them out as straight lines ... Try to get a feel for which direction the planes are facing in 3D space, and make sense of how they connect. Also literally feeling the planes on your face really helps as well, because your hands physically feel 3D space, your eyes can only approximate it.- stabby2486

Curves can be seen as a series of straight lines, and can be simplified into one. If you're just drawing curves, things such as the angle and direction of the curve's movements, where the curves peaks out, its length, and where it really starts and stops are going to slip your eye. Planes are much easier to understand when seen as flat, geometric, straight edged shapes, because they are. Even if you aren't looking for the planes, defining everything with straight lines will still make them obvious.

It's also a good idea to identify all the planes in those copies you're doing. Again, it really helps to feel your own face. Basically all I'm saying here is to look beyond what's clearly defined. Define the planes, extend lines, drop horizontals and verticals, look for parallels, link vertices together, identify patterns, and see how things relate and coincide.- stabby2486

One thing I would like to see more of is a drawings of the skull itself ... Once you do some skull drawings from all different angles, then work on the muscles of the face and neck.- kev ferrara

Don't start laying down the rendering until your line work distinctly describes the forms of your subject. Building up a drawing too soon on top of inaccurate line work can make it difficult to find the likeness. You'll find yourself wanting to change stuff during the rendering process but you'll constantly have to shift and destroy passages of graphite in order to correct proportions, when you could have spent longer on the simple lines and found the shapes in the first place. - That fat kid

Do many many loomis head mannequins !! many! - kevinwueste

Hi,

Few months ago I decided to begin working on figure drawing, so I started reading books and watching videos, performing sketches, etc... I remarked then that I wasn't progressing so If decided going step after step, beginning with the most important and difficult part of the human figure : the head.

From about 15 days I finished the book from William L. Maughan "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head", I found it a nice method for drawing portrait. I can resume it like that :

1- Draw the general contour : OK with this but generally I feel it is more easy to draw the contour when i have at least drawn the eyes.

2-Drawing the general shade shapes : It is the heart of the method, I always feel like I put too much details, especially when the reference has few and weak shades.

3- checking proportions and likeliness : OK with that.

4- defining the contours of the shades to distinguish the 2 forms of shades (don't know how we call them in English)

My biggest concern with this method is that I feel like the features are like islands in the face, each one is good but the general aspect is not really like it should be. Here are some sketches from references :

(stoped here because the eyes are f***d)

and this is from life :

You see what I mean ?
    Then I visited Raileyh thread, and Wow, this is exactly what I wont to do, but how ? I copied the the planes of the head :

and tried to use them to draw a portrait, but I find it very fastidious and I end up with bad result :

Finaly I returned to initial method (William Maughan) to perform the same portrait :

Now I am a little lost, is there a weakness in the William Maughan method, should i combine it with Raileyh method ? How ? I really wont to understand what I draw, I don't wont just to copy face like i copy dead objects.

I ask this because I begin university next week so I don't have time to lose, I really need to fix a method of work and practice it over and over.

Please excuse me for my bad English and tell me what you think.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TheGeek; April 11th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
    To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For what you were saying with the last one; combine what you know with what you see, but anytime what you know conflicts with what you see, draw what you see. Focus on seeing first, because you still have some proportional problems like cropping off foreheads way too short. And if you want to understand what you see you have to look beyond what is clearly defined for you, see how everything relates, recognize paterns, then try and figure why these things are the way they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When working on toned paper you want to focus in on the shapes (shadow and light) and work abstractly. I wouldn't worry too much about capturing likeness, that will come as a result of getting accurate shapes. That Maughan book is also really helpful in explaining the common generic shapes of the features, like the eye. Try to memorize those common shapes and then apply them to your model and adjust them accordingly.

Hope's blog is also really helpful- here's a step by step example

http://drawthefigure.blogspot.com/20...s-of-head.html

Hope that helps, Good Luck! Keep posting

Last edited by F!END; February 18th, 2011 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @stabby2486 Thanks for your advice, for the cropping off foreheads, most of the references (actually pictures of people in the bus) look above the camera, which make a little change in the proportions, maybe I exaggerated some of the changes. "Draw what you see", so easy to understand, but so difficult to apply !

@F!END Thanks to you. Actually I try to focus on shapes, but for me capturing the likeness and reproducing the shapes using shadows and light is the same.
    The blog that you posted, i have already read it and printed most of the visual contents Your sketchbook is also great, big inspiration for me.

While trying to make a good sketch from my last reference, I found some more question :
    1- when you work on a portrait from life, how many times do you take to finish the first (and most important/difficult) stage of the drawing : The main shape of the head with the correct position/inclination, the position and size of the features on the head ?
    2- Do you draw/measure according to the real measures of the model ? I never do that so I have to draw one thing then the rest is compared to it.

again thanks allot for your responses.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new one.

I stoped when I accidently droped some water one it

Don't forget my questions please

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The planes-of-head-sheet you have done one copy of above - that's good! now do it over and over and over until you can do it from memory. ( that may take several days/weeks of practicing it to get it. While you're at that, apply it via tracing-type paper over photos you see, apply the planes and compare.

That sheet is an abstraction - it is designed to give you a basic set of tools to build a head that can be rhythmical and where the shapes relate well to each other (when they can). Bill Maughan's book is great - but the difficult thing about a book is the teacher who wrote it is not right there over your shoulder to tell you all the 100 other things that make it work!

Detail is NOT your friend - not unitl late late late in a drawing. Getting the shadow-shapes right, the light shapes right and key portions of the contour - all of that, I believe will serve you well.

After you have built a better foundation in drawing - beginning to understand how values serve the shapes you are drawing, and how light decays as it falls over a form will then help your 3-Dimensional efforts.

In my opinion. Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank for your advices ! your sketchbook I so great.

I'll follow your advice and begin to draw/memorize the planes-of-head-sheet as you said.

My concern is after reading Maughan book I'm afraid of drawing a line ! I'll return to graphite and charcoal pencil.

agan thank you for your advice and if you have time don't forget the rest of my question :
    1- when you work on a portrait from life, how many times do you take to finish the first (and most important/difficult) stage of the drawing : The main shape of the head with the correct position/inclination, the position and size of the features on the head ?
    2- Do you draw/measure according to the real measures of the model ? I never do that so I have to draw one thing then the rest is compared to it.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Answers -

1. I think you are asking "how much time" does it take ? It depends on how much time I have with the model for that pose. If I only have 3 minutes to do everything, I work hard to get basic shapes and indicate key things - no time for detail. For a 20 minute study, I have time to develop basic shapes - shadow shapes, negative shapes, etc., - the more I understand how a generic head works, the easier it is for me to develop a particular head ( measures of head height and width, where they eye falls, bottom of nose, chin etc.,). For a pose that is an hour or longer, I will be much more careful about what I am drawing and develop the key shapes quite carefully, measuring as I go as needed ( and if needed!).
    2. for a very short time study -2-5 or so minutes I don't measure anything - I don't have time and use shapes as my "measure" For anything longer, I do, ( see above answer) and, if you never measure, unless you have perfect proportions automatically, you will never have great drawings - in my opinion.

Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your answers !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And if you really want to understand the planes of the head draw them out as straight lines, your planal drawing doesn't really make any sense. Try to get a feel for which direction the planes are facing in 3D space, and make sense of how they connect. Also literally feeling the planes on your face really helps as well, because your hands physically feel 3D space, your eyes can only approximate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ! but I'm not sure to understand about straight lines, as shapes of the head are not straight, can you give me an example ?
    The shapes-of-the-head I copied is from here http://drawthefigure.blogspot.com/20...ting-head.html , I'm sure not all the plane are visible on most faces, but I think it is good to have those planes in the head.

here's a sketch I made in my bed 20 minutes before sleeping, I tried to draw the shapes as I see them, without searching likeness with the ref.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Curves can be seen as a series of straight lines, and can be simplified into one. If you're just drawing curves, things such as the angle and direction of the curve's movements, where the curves peaks out, its length, and where it really starts and stops are going to slip your eye. Planes are much easier to understand when seen as flat, geometric, straight edged shapes, because they are. Even if you aren't looking for the planes, defining everything with straight lines will still make them obvious. Even in that link the guy is still drawing with straight lines. Draw it out like this:

http://www.naturalpigments.com/detai..._ID=635-GES138

It's also a good idea to identify all the planes in those copies you're doing. Again, it really helps to feel your own face. Basically all I'm saying here is to look beyond what's clearly defined. Define the planes, extend lines, drop horizontals and verticals, look for parallels, link vertices together, identify patterns, and see how things relate and coincide.

EDIT: Btw, you're still cropping off the forehead. I think it's because you misinterpreted the rules of thirds on the face. The top third of the face ends at the hairline, the actual top of the head is beyond that. Put your finger at your hairline then run it over your cranium, you'll feel it. Don't follow any system too closely, you're gonna need to look more closely at what you're drawing. And when you're hatching or crosshatching when shading, get the lines to describe the planal movements and forms.

Last edited by stabby2486; February 21st, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ! now I understand you, I'll try to apply all those new in formations all of you gave me and post what I do (but now I don't have as much time as I begun university). And your right for the cropping off the forehead, I know it but I still make it wrong

Below are tow planes-of the-head, the second from the mind (without ref), and some applications on pictures (not very precise, I not used to use a tablet).

Last edited by TheGeek; February 21st, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot sleep so I cook chicken and I draw

Last edited by TheGeek; February 21st, 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy this week with the beginning of the new university semester.

But yesterday I found a very good DVD from J. watts where he uses exactly the same planes-of-the-head abstraction ! I watched just the first hour (3.35 in total) but it helped me allot.

As I don't have time I just managed to do 2 quick sketches of my professors. I'm happy because I feel how those abstraction helped me to draw without just "copying" as the models where moving and talking. I'm excited to draw more !

~ 5-7 minutes during the presentation of the course (I have a serious problem with drawing the neck)

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry, ImageShak goes down from time to time. When I upload just one image I put it as an attachment, but when I wont to put text with the images it's not the best way, so I use Imageshack.

Hope you can see them now.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started working on abstraction lines, volume, trying to ignore details, concentrating on general shapes.

The results until now are a little disappointing, since I don't focus on rendering (quick sketches during poses at university), but that's normal, results comes with time.

I did allot of quick sketches of 5 minutes in charcoal, but the results where so ugly I dropped them ...

I always neglected rendering as I feel it is just a final step to finish a drawing, but now that i need to draw volumes I realise how important is to have good shading to describe volume, so I'm working on that.

I post some (ugly) sketches just to keep my motivation and maybe obtain some useful criticism.

The first is from life during a boring course, others are from newspaper ref.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches I did between courses (~15 minutes) from newspaper pictures, working on abstraction lines.

Any criticism or advice is welcome.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought my first sketchbook and here's the first Heads I put in

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I didn't had to many course today

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a little tired today with my studies, so today's sketches are a little "tired".

If you have criticism/advise about the "total" of my sketches (as those are quick sketches, so an advise about one drawing is not helpful as about the total).

Thanks again for your help.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are coming along nicely, you do a really good job of capturing the expression which is more important than nailing everything in exacting detail. The cannon of the head seems about right but there are several times where the turning of the planes causes some parts to seem out of depth with others. The lines you're laying down when doing the underlying symmetry are creating a few disparities in what the finished piece is turning up as.. if you're going to use lines to establish landmarks you should use a rule or practice making straighter lines. Another odd thing I noticed is that the dip in the center of the upper lip tends to drift off center in a few of your pieces.
    Overall your work is progressing nicely, keep it up

Last edited by 4tonmantis; March 10th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @4tonmantis : thanks for your comment. I leave abstraction line visible because for mes for now I'm just doing sketches. The process of drawing is more important than the final result. I also some times, when my sketch is finished, draw the abstraction lines on the ref picture.

Today's morning I had an hour of free time, so I managed to draw this sketch from a picture in news papers.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're doing nicely and progressing steadily.

One thing I would like to see more of is a drawings of the skull itself. I think you are getting good at making the lighting on the form, but you are just lacking a bit of anatomical knowledge. Once you do some skull drawings from all different angles, then work on the muscles of the face and neck.

Best wishes,
    kev

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so mush for your advice kev ferrara !

I re-watched your sketchbook at least 4 times. What I like about your style (specially with pencil) is how with few hatching's, apparently disorganised lines, you express forms and make your drawing seems realistic. Best illustration is those 2 portraits.

I really need to learn this style. For now, all my new sketches are smaller than 5 cm, as I don't have time to spend on rendering forms with my "coloring" style.
    The problem is that when I try, hatching like you (or frazetta style), my drawings looks like spaghetti's. You can see this in my new sketches. Thank you again for your advice.

I also have some question for all experiment artists of this forum :

1-What importance do you give for anatomy knowledge when you draw from life/ref ?

I mean it is easy to see the importance of anatomy when drawing from imagination, but when you draw from ref/life, it is more subtle, do you exaggerate "a little" some anatomic details to make it more realistic ?

2- It is fine to draw on A4 paper ? or it is too small ?

3- Do you use mechanical pencils ? I feel it is better on small (A4) paper, as I don't draw on the side of the pencil.

4- Do you have any resource about line drawing and rendering with hatching (suggesting forms) ?

5-Any other advice.

Here are some notes I took while watching Vilppu anatomy of the head videos, and some skulls.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a portrait sketch today's at university (finished at home) that failed miserably (and some skulls without reference). I post the process with you so maybe you can give me some advices .

And please don't forget my questions in the precedent post.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried "hatching style" on this sketch but the result is not very convincing.

And please don't forget my questions in the precedent post.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It definitively help, thank you !

I totally agree with you, I have described the problem that I have with measuring (until now no measuring) in this post .

Basically no enough time + slow method for rendering -> small sketches (with small references) -> no measure -> inaccurate drawings.

To correct that I'll try to do more slow studies even if it take me more than one day, at least one per week.

I'm gonna write a list of all your generous advices and put them in the first post. Again thank for you all !

And if some one of you have time, don't forget my questions

EDIT : first post updated.

Last edited by TheGeek; March 17th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After not drawing for 2 days, I started a new portrait study, I said OK now I'll take my time, I measured for the first time, put the abstraction lines carefully, and then I said to myself : "OK speed rendering" and the result is so ugly I feel I have to apologize from people who took time to help me.

I hate this drawing and I hate myself for beeing able to draw a piece of shit like this.

I post it anyway because I believe errors are made to learn from them, and because I wont to be honest.

For me the critical error I made is not to look enough to the ref after measuring. Another problem i have is that I apply to much value to shade area, then I have to apply a mid tone and I end up darkening the whole portrait.

Feel free criticise.

And if some one of you have time, don't forget my questions

Last edited by TheGeek; March 19th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not better than yesterday ...

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1