Thanks

Arrow Unconstructive Criticism

I've noticed a lot more name calling and general abuse on concept art and I was wondering what people think about this emerging trend.
    Last edited by JoshuaTheJames; April 4th, 2004 at 01:38 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'd noticed that a few people seemed to neglect the 'constructive' part in constructive criticism a bit recently.

Hopefully the moderators will pick up on things quickly, as they normally seem to be on the ball here. Davi, for one, is almost a troll sniper!

This site still has a much better general attitude than other sites, with any luck that wont change.

Thanks
    Controversy is interesting. People should harden up and learn to take some hits on the chin… There is nothing wrong with arguing. I understand that if it gets out of hand then it can become quite hairy, right now its at such a low that its practically nothing. Most people who get out of hand are quickly put in their place by the more senior members, anyhow.

Thanks
    eh, it's words projected on a screen. though its nice when people say something nice, when they dont, who cares, really? On the other hand, I rather enjoy Davi's agrressive ass-kicking.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    °_. in fact, i think this is the most peaceful board im on... and as said before, theres nothing wrong about a little arguing.

Thanks
    Poking jokes at every one is perfectly alright. It's what gives people character and the ablity to become comfortable in the surroundings of other people (plus you get a good laugh out of it once in a while). Limits should be best left to common sense.
    -Natoa

Thanks
    When writing comments on peoples work you have pretty much two positions to write from, "the teacher" or "the admirer". I guess what everybody wants (me included) is to have positive feedback on their works but there is almost always something that can be improved. Since you most often don't know or have met the people whose work you're commenting on, it's hard to know how they will react to your comments, something meant as friendly advise might be percieved as an insult against one's person or skill. There is also a language barrier, english isn't my mothertongue so certain nuances might be lost on me and my use of the language might be clumsy and unrefined. You have to weigh in all these factors when reading comments and posts. So there are quite a lot of things that can go wrong in the communication between peaople. More often than not however I think this will not happen, as people are excpecting critique on their work, thats why they're posting, right? (Besides there is always the Oh's and Ah's section .)

Some people are just plain rude or annoying though and do not belong in these kinds of forums. And as others have mentioned, CA is rather peaceful compared to some of the other boards.

Enough of my rantings, I hope I haven't offended anyone!

Thanks
    I am guilty of posting several unpopular comments on this site, allow me to explain: I am a professor at VCU in the Painting Department, every year several students enter the department because they have applied to our Illustration Department, and for whatever reason they were not accepted. Their obvious second choice is Painting. A problem arises when these students continue to make illustrative work and become frustrated with the feedback in critique.

I would like to point out that I see no hierarchy in the arts and respect the exceptional work I see on this site. As a teacher though, my job is to make my students good artists. The critical input in my classes revolves around painting, and drawing that ends up in galleries. If I cannot provide the adequate feedback for my students that are working in an illustrative genre such as concept art and anime I have recommended that they post in this forum in order to gain the feedback they need. The frustrations they find in the classroom will perpetuate once they finish school unless they find the correct place for their work. Although the lines of the arts are blurring more, which is exciting, there are still fundamental differences between where this work is seen i.e. in a cg movie, in a comic book or a gallery.

As far as criticism is concerned, name-calling is inappropriate, but honest comments that may sting are sometimes necessary to help the artist see what they have not, or to suggest they work harder. I have a reputation as a tough rather intense instructor, which keeps my classes full every semester.

If anyone feels that it is inappropriate for me to use this forum for these situations, I understand and will withdraw.
    If you are bored, then you are boring.

Thanks
    I just did a post search to see what you'd said yardstick, and while I don't think the manner in which you commented was right, the content of it was.

Normally, I'd suggest employing a lot more diplomacy with your comments, (people can still take in advice without a negative tone), however, I noticed that both you and the original poster come from Richmond, so it's possible that you know each other and you know that the artist doesn't work well with praise and therefore needs to be pushed more.

Giving advice and suggestions is obviously different from person to person, I normally tend to be as constyructive as I can when crtiicising somebody's work, especially when I don't know them.

Think of criticism as surgery. Although surgery is necessary, we still use anaesthetic to make things easier for the patient. The job still gets done, but with much lower levels of discomfort.

Thanks
    I Like to think I give good advice. I'm not the kinda guy to write up an into paragraph to cushion the blow though. Guess its rubbing off from my Drawing Prof. He tears into people like he was fueled by tears.
    Paul Rhye

Thanks
    yardstick: since I did respond to one of your comments, allow me to explain my reaction. While I agreed completely with your cricticisms as they where wholly valid, I disliked the words and phrases you used. Your suggestion to draw much much more was also correct, but you don't want to upset a young artist so much that they _don't_ draw for 3 weeks. In person, your tone of voice and facial expression may have shown the artist you were talking in jovial yet serious manner, but none of that is readable in plain text.

One of my life drawing teachers in college said in a crit, "Ugh! This makes me want to vomit. If this woman could sit up, she would spit at you, but she can't because she has no bones!" No one was offended because everyone could tell he was being humorous and wanted to convey how much the artist needed to study anatomy.

You absolutely should continue posting on these boards, because we need people that tell the truth and don't fan-serv. And if you're looking for someone to spoon bitter medicine to, look for me. I find it far more depressing to spend time on project, get 300 views with only one or two comments and no suggestions for improvement.

**edit: ok just looked at your other post. the artist was in fact a real-life student of yours. In which case he probably did take your comments with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by bwkeough; April 2nd, 2004 at 07:54 PM.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Yea i already started a thread in the lounge liek this a few months back.

Gerneral consensus: the bigger this place gets, the less personal it gets and the more assholes youll find on here.

I must admitt i likeed this forum when it was me and 700 other guys and now its over 8000. UNfortunately thats how forums go. I am getting annoyed at how many ppl on here are joining and dont respect anything on here and think they are the shit, but at the same time, everyday I find some new badass artist with great work.

So my final thought: If you want fish, expect bones.

Chawwwzzzz.
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    From the viewpoint of the person who is criticizing :

It's important to be careful with words and not directly insult a piece. Instead, one should suggest ways of improving it. I would never say that a certain piece "sucks" or "makes me vomit". Instead, I would merely say that it "could be improved" and I would proceed to point out the problems (the anatomy, the color, etc.)

From the viewpoint of the criticized person :

It's EXTREMELY important to understand that EVERY single person has a point and the actual message is just a way to communicate their point. If someone says your piece "sucks", ask them why. Use them as a resource, and don't look at them as a critic. Everyone has a good point.

I think that the completely useless criticisms are like "hey it sucks." or "its okay"...

They don't really help and are just as bad as spam...

Thanks