Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hi mateys

Dont worry I havnt died, been captured by rednecks or aliens! I have just been having computer issues and normal service will resume shortly.

Last edited by Lightship69; November 23rd, 2011 at 05:15 AM.
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Lightship, sorry I haven't been around.

Just looking over your stuff and it seems like you have a good handle on environments and furniture, what's your secret?

As for the portraits, remember to map out the face and to break it down. Proportion is the number one thing to be aware of when trying to make a good (convincing) face, features come next.

For your figure studies, I would recommend you try and do some measuring by heads. It's a really effective way to get proportion down, as well. I use the Loomis charts which divide the body into 8 equal sections, each corresponding to a landmark of the figure. I attached it for you.

Keep practicing!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Hi Matthew

I dont know what my secret is to be honest other than the use of massive amounts of reference and occasionaly Bryce 5 (a 3d package) to get perspective how I want it, some things just come easy to me and some things I have to do loads and loads of repetitions on.

I think its that environments and furniture etc dont change so much, the structure stays the same and only the light and atmosphere make it look different. so I can make it however I want.

Faces and paople are in a state of constant flux and change almost by the second, and for me are an absolute horror to do. Which is why I am doing loads at the moment, and failing but like I said on your book we learn by doing and each one takes me a little bit further forward.

If you read the post it actually says that I am studying the walt Stanchfield lectures at the moment and it is the action I am trying to portray rather than bother about the anatomy. The "Gesture" is the key to it all if you dont feel the action then all the people are in static poses and theres no action to the image, its stale and false and looks wrong.

Gods I'm starting a lecture here arn't I , I'm a boring old fart sometimes!! LOL

As for the faces that I have done I must admit they are a bit crap but I couldnt find a reference photo for a surprised old woman so I used the surprised young one above by a couple of posts or so and one of the old women in the loomis books. It didnt quite work did it LOL.

back to the drawing board, I'll get there I just have to do a few hundred more!

all the best to you buddy and keep it coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Hey Lightship, just wanted to thank you for dropping by in my sketchbook so regularly, and I thought I'd have a look at yours in return. I must say I'm seeing some improvement especially in your faces, you just need to keep practicing and more importantly, observing. I think that at some point it would help if you tried to let go of the use of lines to convey form. The main reason why some of your works look rather like a beginner's is because a beginner has a tendency to outline everything because they can't yet think in terms of form and planes.

May I suggest you try to do a few head cast studies? For example this one. Of course you may use lines first to outline the geometric shapes, but try to keep them light, and then focus on the planes and shading.

Here is a blog that I've found rather useful, too. It's a lot of text to go through but it will pay off in the end . Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very next image I di shall be this, probably a thousand or so times LOL

seriously thanks for this its really useful you are as always a star!, all the best

Thanks

Face planes

Ok here the first attempt, just so that we all know where we are at the moment.

Ref first
    Name:  cast-head-03.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  79.0 KB

Then first attempt.

Name:  cracked face 1.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  86.9 KB

As you can see LOL we have a ways to go yet it seems ROFL, admitedly i did rush him but bloody hell there are a few bits in the wrong place!!

Oh well on with the next twenty or so and we will see what we get.

all the best folks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Well that is a very good start! Try doing more of these and focus on the planes and study the forms; remember how and where they go. Keep up the good work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    The first woman in #51: The eyes are too close and maybe a bit too big too... "One eye gap between eyes" is a quite good rule, it's usually true (chin/nose/brow/hairline equality is much weeker and 8 heads body is almost never true for real persons).
    The expression is weak somehow but I won't be the one who says why...

I'm not really helpful this time but I'm glad you still pursue the "surprised elderly woman" topic, I will totally do my version soon. (I drew one with pencil but it's bad, morning pencil stuff while laying on the bed...)

I'll take extra attention to your faces and I will shout if I will think I understand something and is able to help
    Keep up with it! I usually neglect practice when i have troubles (I draw my favourite topics little enough...), I don't give up though. But I find faces very interesting. Old men and women are especially interesting, there are folds and interesting planes, there are no bare flat space, the features are connected with lines... But the human head is too difficult at first try. And at 1000th try as well .

EDIT:
    Yeah, the new update does seem you rushed a bit... Focus on angles, positions and values as well... Some of them are really far the ones in your reference.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More facial planes

Hi everyone

here we go after a few more pages of facial planes and various head shapes we have the following.

No1 is actually a later drawing but it pulls together where I am at the moment with the sudies of the head.

No 6 in interesting as I was wondering how some of the planes change with differing expressions

No2 is just crap but it was practice and I accept my fails! LOL

Name:  faces021.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  198.7 KB

Will post again very soon, thanks for calling in.

Thanks
    Hi there, you helped me out in the crit section of the forums so I thought I should return the favour by taking a look at your sketchbook
    If I had to crit you I would say that while it's good your lines are solid and confident, they might be just a little too hard (I'm the total opposite by the way; feathery lines all over the shop) and I think you want to spend a little more time on your shading, at the moment it seems too scratchy (probably the result of that slightly heavy hand?), from looking at all three pages of work, I can say that you are definitely improving.
    good luck and keep drawing

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

playtime

Hi guys I got fed up of studying all my books and thought I would play a while.

Name:  faces022.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  dwarf head.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  64.1 KB

Thanks for dropping by and Im sorry about the helm I know its wonky, but hey its just playtime.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Strato pretty much said it all, to paraphrase another great teacher: "...your eyes may deceive you..."

Glad you are updating again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    Hey mate, good to see you're working on headplanes. I've been doing them recently and they definitely help.
    One thing about open mouths, isn't the jaw like a hinge? In number 6 it looks a bit like he's popped his jaw out, I'm not sure, but he might have an overbite if he closed his mouth.
    Have a go drawing a skeleton from the side a few times, but move the bottom jaw in each drawing.
    Now, I tried to redline the shouting guy but I derped it up pretty baddly as I'm using a touchpad. Hope you see what I mean though.

KEEP IN MIND I'm a begginer myself! I'm sure someone better will come round and, spurred on by the bad advice I have given, will most likely swoop in with a better explanation and redline. xD

Anyways, that said, good work so far so keep it up!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 26