Ultimate Reference Book

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Ultimate Reference Book

I am going to be living in a remote location without electricity for awhile. I would love to still do some art projects then. Unfortunately I can't plan for all of the projects I will be doing and all of the reference I will need.

Does anyone know of a great reference book that I could draw and paint from?

Ideally one that has a wide breadth of subjects.

Simple is not Easy.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Maybe a dictionary or encyclopedia set with pictures.

If you'll be able to get mail, maybe you could subscribe to some magazines with reference photos.

You could gather up a ton of photos off the Internet and send them into one of those "self publishing" book websites like Lulu. Then they'll arrange them all into a book for you.

You might look into some like photojournalism books. Those often have interesting things in them.

Here's this:
    Comic Artist's Photo Reference - People & Poses: Book/CD Set with 1000+ Color Images (Comic Artists Reference) [Paperback]

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks

Choose an artist

You could choose an artist the you admire and want to draw or paint like him so buy a book with his masterpieces and do a series of projects inspired by him.

Or you could take some pictures of subjects you like and print them to carry with you as your models.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks all. I guess I am going to have to just make a scrapbook of references.

Simple is not Easy.

Thanks
    You could also just go outside and paint. In fact, you could paint the same darn thing over and over at different times of day or different weather conditions, etc. (a la Monet). I bet you'd learn a lot that way. Just a suggestion.

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks jpacer!! That's a very good idea. I just wanted to have a plan to paint something other than landscapes. I am leaving the united states for a year and a half to join my wife in the rainforest, so I am not sure what to expect there. I know there won't be any electricity and it will rain a lot.

Last edited by JOELB; August 30th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Simple is not Easy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOELB View Post
    Thanks jpacer!! That's a very good idea. I just wanted to have a plan to paint something other than landscapes. I am leaving the united states for a year and a half to join my wife in the rainforest, so I am not sure what to expect there. I know there won't be any electricity and it will rain a lot.
    holy crap! you lucky, lucky dog!
    well, i was going to suggest taking a couple national geographic magazines with you, but it seems you're gonna be living it out...

Thanks
    oh definitely. I am really looking forward to going to hanging out on the beach, seeing some amazing wildlife, and painting.

I just didn't want to be there and get the inspiration to paint ninjas, cityscapes, or whatever and have no reference.

Simple is not Easy.

Members who have read this thread: 1