Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Life Drawings

Thanks
    deadlyhazard- Thanks! Appreciate it.
    ClassicalGIRL- It's just practice. Do as much as you can each day, then try to learn from it and do better the next day. I appreciate the kind words and you should always strive to not only do better than everyone, but do better than you did yesterday! Go for it!

Here's some new life drawings. I included a picture of me next to the portraits so you can see the scale. I've been trying to go a little bigger. Almost twice life-size, I think. Also, I've started a new small sketchbook for landscape ink sketches. Helps to go out and see values. inks are 3''x5''. It looks like they are displaying at about life-size. Charcoals are 18x24. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, peeps!
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome stuff,really nice work.

Thanks
    Feeling a bit depressed looking at this stuff man... really nice. I wish I had this much access to life drawing classes.

I would say (and only because I personally like to be told something I can improve rather than be told nice things all the time) your ears are a bit off in some of them.

(ear hole sits just below the zygomatic arch) Some it's the size but the main thing that I noticed is that some are way out in left field as you guys in the US might say and sometimes a little high . Pretty easy thing to look out for and apart from that, beautiful lines and smashing work.

Keep it up. Also really like your landscapes, nice and lively.

James
    UK

Thanks
    Random Hobo - Thanks!
    Marine Blue- Don't get depressed, homie. Another person showing you how fast they can run just means it is possible for you to run as fast, if not faster. Thanks for the kind words and the critique. I've been trying to keep an eye on my ears in recent drawings. I usually don't build up the ears anatomically, but more in relation to the other parts.. it's also possible I draw people with strange ears. My measuring is never perfect but I'm working on getting it better all the time.

Here's some new drawings. It's sweet to be able to see the improvement in my own work since I started this thread in February. Keep working peeps. As simple things become intuitive you can focus on harder things.

Power is a direct result of discipline.

Thanks
    Great expressive mark making. That SP is awesome! Your landscape sketches are sooo nice, thanks for sharing....

Thanks
    Hey dude i joined life drawing classes. currently got 2 sessions a week (the most i cud get practically) thanks for sharing ur work, its motivating, sometimes wen im off track i can just come back here and see wat hard work truely achieves. My drawings are abysmal atm But hey, gotta start somewhere. thx again. peace.

Thanks
    jetpack42 I like the way you handle line work. Have you heard of Robert T. Barrett? He's my favorite figure drawing artist and the way you hand lines reminded me of him.

If you want a change, I recommend working on toned paper and experimenting with chalk. I have found that having your mid tones already established cuts back on how much rendering you have to do.

Great anatomy. I love the way you have done the faces. Very inspirational. Makes me want to do some more full render studies. Back to drawing!

Thanks
    OmyGosh , your work is just to stunning for words , I do love what you wrote about someone on here saying your to good and they felt depressed just looking at all these , and well your reply was quite humble of someone with such mega drawing skills ... not only are you clever but you have a heart and humility ~rare indeed!

Thanks
    Hey man, nice work! One thing I think will push your work several steps ahead quite effectively is to limit your goals for your drawings a little bit. It seems like you are trying to do every thing at once, in the span of 20 minutes or so, and the end result usually gives the impression that while you really tried, you only got the gist of what you wanted to accomplish.

What I would recommend (and it's worked well for me and others), is to attack one weakness in your observation skills at a time, and focus on this one aspect only.

So, if you want to improve your proportions, and focus on your articulations (ie. how specific you are with line and shape design), you'll want to take modelling out of the equation, and limit your values down to no more than 3 tones: paper value, shadow walue and a middle value if you need to indicate more planes. (or, if there are few shadows, forget about tone altogether). This will help you in getting a better sense of value coherency as well (you don't really need all those core shadows and reflected lights to describe form**. Look at 19th century drawings and paintings...they're like, devoid of that shit...if they are included, they are supressed).

Besides, once you have established a solid tone design, like suggested above, this clear pattern will help you see faults in proportion more easily.

**What I mean by this is, you don't want to model form with gradations before you can indicate form by limited means, like line and (maybe) shadow. This way, your understanding of your subject will sing better, and you will be forced to make better marks.

Man, hope I'm not too preachy...I haven't attending any life classes lately...I could talk about this stuff forever.
    Last edited by AndreasM; June 30th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Really awesome art work these painting picture shows the real art work looking so great and clear,.
    i really appreciate this work,.

Thanks
    Fiend- Thanks for the kind words.

tronrobot- Nice, dude. That's how you get it done. You'll find that as you do more, simple things will become intuitive and your mind can focus on harder problems. Going to the sessions is part of the work, but always look for more ways to learn and push yourself so you can apply it in the session. Takes a lot of time; I have been at it for about 7 years. Don't think about it as something you have to do now, think about it like a lifestyle. Do some every day and down the road you'll be further than you ever would have imagined.

Lithriel- Thanks you. Thanks for passing along Mr Barrett. His works are nice. He works a little tighter than I prefer but he is solid. There's something I can learn from him. Thanks for the suggestion, I've considered it. I really like a couple of the newer portraits on toned paper I have seen from Yim Mau Kun. I've been debating it.. Keep up the good work!

Classicalgirl- Thank you again for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement. I've come to a lot of realizations about work and life through living as an artist. I think that as people accomplish difficult things in their own life they can either have empathy for others who strive, or arrogance. Arrogance gets you nowhere in the end, it stops you from going anywhere past where you are. I have more compassion these days for everyone who is on the path where I once was. It takes a lot of effort to accomplish something and the more we can help each other the easier it gets. So, keep up your own work and stay positive! Go get it!

AndreasM- You're right. I've been thinking about how to simplify my goals in the shorter sessions a little more. It's hard to get out of the mindset I've been in, I really get fired up and go at it. The 20-25 minutes flies past before I have even realized what has happened, oftentimes. But I do need to slow down for a second and figure out exactly what I want to accomplish. I have been thinking on this.

I agree completely with you. And you're not preachy at all. I appreciate the constructive cricism. I have a cast at home that I sketch out to try and work out various things inbetween sessions. Also, sometimes my goals in the sessions switch.. so I'll keep working on it. Thanks! You gotta get in some life drawing sessions, man! Kick some ass!

Albern- Thanks! I appreciate the kind words!

Here's a few more from the last couple weeks. Still cranking them out. Keep going, peeps. If being an artist is your lifestyle, then you've got to be working all the time. Keep at it! One day at a time. One hour at a time. One moment at a time. Keep pushing!

Thanks
    Classicalgirl- Thank you again for the kind words. I appreciate the encouragement. I've come to a lot of realizations about work and life through living as an artist. I think that as people accomplish difficult things in their own life they can either have empathy for others who strive, or arrogance. Arrogance gets you nowhere in the end, it stops you from going anywhere past where you are. I have more compassion these days for everyone who is on the path where I once was. It takes a lot of effort to accomplish something and the more we can help each other the easier it gets. So, keep up your own work and stay positive! Go get it!
    You are my kinda Artist for sure , I have been posting on Wc but Im getting more and more drawn to this website , Im full time at this , heading off to Fine Arts school soon , Im the same I dont like to give negative feedback , but I appreciate honesty and maybe thats what Im not getting as to feed back to my own work ...so feel new beginnings are the go I guess ...and Ive a long way to go but Im also happy to do the hard road , I know theres no gain without pain!!!

....my love for this Art in general and to just sit here and look stare , my jaw dropping n hitting the floor as it looks at you work , is truly inspiring!!! the head study is mesmerizing, and the reclining nude has nice feel of line and flow!!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Very good stuff bro, I like your technique alot! I just started getting good/comfortable with charcoal heh. I don't really have any critiques except maybe more contrast??? *shrug* still though *thumbs up*

I'm curious, what kind of paper do use?

Oh, I'm totally going to use this as motivation .

Edit: like for contrast that head study(old guy) really stands out the most from the others if that makes sense
    Last edited by IchiBrun; July 16th, 2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to add comment

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast