Art: Life Drawings - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Life Drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the way you interpret the shapes and curves, as well as your mark making. Great stuff!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42 View Post
    Sandyman- Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. Everything is done from life. If you don't have access to nude models, certainly you live in a world filled with clothed people you can draw. Failing those, you have the landscape around you or you can purchase a plaster bust. The pathway to powerful work is to tap into the source of inspiration, which is life.
    Do you mean that I should not draw at all from Photographs? I never copy a photograph, I treat it as if it was in life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An Apple a day .... makes you draw perfect! ... loved them on wc and on here! .... More More.....yeah Im greedy , about to start school over here wish me luck dude , and maybe some of your magic mite rub off on me ~just looking upon these fine works ! ; )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    xinranliu- Thanks for the kind words!

Necron33- You have to make that decision. My thoughts are that in order to have the best skills and the most powerful work, you should work from life as much as possible.

getsunil- Not sure how you can download them. Maybe you will be able to get them off of my blog? Thanks for the kind words.

ClassicalGIRL- Thanks! Glad to hear you're going after it! Work hard and never stop! Good things come to those who never give up!

Hey peeps, here's a few drawings from the last couple of weeks. Also, a 12x12 landscape painting I did recently which will be auctioned off at a benefit for a local arts center. First drawing is a self portrait. Also, included a page of 1 minute gesture drawings. The model this week was inspiring! Hope they inspire you to whup some ass in your own life!

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jetpack42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so much good stuff here! love what you're doing. thanks for posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings are awesome. I like those inks on the first page too, you should do more of those, very strong.

Last edited by dropkick99; October 17th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    raileyh- Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy and get much inspiration from your thread! Thank you.

dropkick99- Thanks! I've been thinking about doing some more of those, though I'm really trying to find a way to do work that people will purchase now. If I got some offers to do some ink work, it would be on! Thanks for the kind words.

Here's a few more new drawings. Just gotta keep hustlin'. Also I have a few new paintings up on my blog if you are interested. Thanks for checkin my work out, peeps! Keep whuppin ass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, now I really wish I had managed to go to your demos in Seattle. Lovely figure work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tim- Thanks for the kind words. I've got two coming up in the next two months at the Bellevue Daniel Smith store. November 12, 11am-1pm and December 7th, 11am-1pm. Bring something to sketch with and a piece of fruit if you cruise out! Would be good to see a few peeps from the forum!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edges of goodness! i'm sure your demos will go great at Daniel Smith ( I never even knew they had a b-vue store! (just the one down in SoDo/ 6th ave S.,)
    -kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kevin, Thanks homie. I appreciate the kind words; just tryin to hustle. Gotta work with what you've got. Hope you're whuppin lots of ass. If you're ever up in Seattle again, hit me up, let's go to a drawing session or plein air.

Raptors, Thank you for the kind words.

Here's a few more drawings from the weekend. What you see represents 5 of the 6 hours I spent in drawing sessions on Sunday. Hope you're all kicking a lot of ass, peeps. I've got a free workshop coming up at Bellevue Daniel Smith on November 12th. Bring something to draw with and your favorite piece of fruit if you can make it out! Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More drawings for you to peep. Hope you guys enjoy them and it gets you fired up to whup some ass in your own work and life! Also, updated some painting studies on the blog, and been talking about some art related ideas. Feel free to check them out and chime in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No responses makes this a snap to update! Love it! Hope you get inspired, peeps!

I've got a demo coming up at the Bellevue Daniel Smith store, Wednesday, Dec 7th, 11am-1pm. Bring a piece of fruit and something to draw with if you can make it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You bastard, your avatar is so deceiving!! I love you man
    Edit: You fly through skilled drawing with a jet on your back!
    Edit 2: Ok bro, just saw your landscapes and now you seem human again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some exceptional life drawings ! They're very inspirational !

Daily sketch !
    Old sketchbook, with apes and ghost towns.
    Portfolio
    ---
    " Quand un mec raconte une histoire tout en urinant, on appelle ça un récipissé. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really glad i got the chance to get to one of your demos. I left there with a renewed hunger for art and i felt that i had a better understanding of what i need to work on! thanks much for the advice and letting me see a few of your drawings in person! really inspiring stuff!
    -Tyler

The greatest reward for me is when people look at my stuff and feel inspired enough to help me learn by harsh critiques, they will never fall on deaf or defensive ears and will be applied post haste! thanks in advance!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134240

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll respond more in depth next time I post drawings, but for now..

Seattle peeps, I've got a class coming up in Maple Valley if anyone is interested http://www.maplevalleyarts.com/conte...odule_id=53680

Also, I've got a few FREE workshops coming up on the fundamentals of drawing from life. They've all been good so far, and peeps have walked away with a lot of useful information. If you come, bring something to draw with and a piece of fruit. Each workshop is 2 hours.

Sunday, January 8th at the SEATTLE store, 11am to 1pm.

Wednesday, January 18th at the BELLEVUE store, 11am to 1pm.

Saturday, February 25th at the BELLEVUE store, 11am to 1pm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really interested in your opinion on realism versus other types of art. Do you
    have any constructive things to say on that topic? Here in Europe a lot of the art
    education is still based on concept-based experimental thinking from the 60's
    and 70's. Skills are not that important, which I find quite depressing. It's hard
    to find supportive teachers who are able to show me the techniques to bring the
    ideas in my head to life.

I would argue you have to learn to draw well enough from life before even considering
    to paint more abstractly. (in the sense Picasso did) But a lot of artists are more like
    philosophers, exploring more thought-based problems of space. What are your
    thoughts on this topic?

Really great studies here. Some of them are a little less consistent with lighting
    and perspective. I myself am struggling with this constantly; always tempted to
    draw the things I see much to linear, even-spaced. Do you have any hints or thought-
    processes for that type of drawing and thinking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Michael, this is Vincent, I was the annoying asian kid who asked you lots of questions at the LINK workshop at Cornish you gave for teens (about two months ago?). I was looking through the finearts forum and stumbled upon your thread somehow.

Keep up the work! You're mad talented.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dam Michael ..... you make me all doe eyed looking at your stuff !!!! thankyou for being such a wonderful artist ....much to admire here !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome drawings! I remember your self portrait from show at Gage awhile ago. It caught my eye every time I walked down the hall. Very striking. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey peeps, a couple drawings from the weekend. Keep an eye out, I'll be self-publishing a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life by the end of the month or so. More info coming soon!

afzam- ?

sleepy- Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. I've been trying to do a little more at Gage. Are you in an Atelier or just take classes?

Sandra- Thank you, as always, for the kind words! Keep kicking ass!

skMOP- Vincent, Thanks for the kind words. I hope you and your peeps enjoyed the workshop, I gave it 100% effort. It was hard to know what you guys thought about it. Did you or your peeps have any feedback for me? Anything I could do better? Hope it was a help, hope you left inspired, and I hope you are still working hard. You guys all have your whole lives in front of you, and you can make anything out of it you want.

Spawn2- First, I'll be publishing my own book which will have a lot of thoughts on these things by the end of the month or so. Second, realism IS art. I think of it this way, all art is an abstraction. You never draw every hair on a person's head, or every leaf on a tree, every blade of grass, even in realism, it's an abstraction. But, what is art? Art is a communication, a story. If something is not saying something about being human, it's not saying anything. Therefore, art that "explores spacial relationships" is not art at all. It might be a cool project, and people can do it, that's all well and fine (it might even have an interesting look or some redeeming qualities), but it shouldn't be hung in a museum next to John Singer Sargent.

If we are going to communicate about the world in a visual way, we have to use a visual language that people understand. People experience the world in terms of objects, landscapes, and other people. So, any visual art that does not include objects, landscapes, or people, does not actually say anything that a person would understand. The communication is just like speaking in a language the person does not understand... it is nothing. Modern art is nothing. Modern art is also one of the greatest shams ever perpetuated on humanity.

Mawh- Thank you for the kind words.

Max- haha, it's true, I am very human. Thank you.

rebelionature- Was glad to meet you. Hope you left inspired and are working hard. Don't put the pressure on, just do what you can. I have another demo coming up at that store if you need a refresher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great drawings man. However, if you look behind the pretty shading you will see inperfections. I was told many times to do soft but precise linework first and then to go shading.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love these long time, fancy a coming over and giving a demo?

much love
    chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mane- Thanks man. I'd love to give a demo, any time, any place, but getting to the UK is the trick! Appreciate the kind words.

merl1n- What? Imperfections? Are you sure? lol, of course, man. Every single drawing ever has imperfections. There is no perfect drawing. Hopefully over time, my accuracy is increasing, but I do not get hung up on perfection. I strive to do the best I can, and that is all. Thanks for checking in!

Here's a self portrait from today. 9''x12'', 2B mechanical pencil on watercolor paper.

Also, if anyone knows how to change the thumbnail on the main page to represent my thread, I'd love to update it, a year later now, but am unsure as to how.. Thanks!

Last edited by jetpack42; February 11th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a long time admirer and wanted to share an appropriate quote from an artist i really admire.

Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything.
    -Eugene Delacroix

Thanks for the posts, keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kunfyoozdish- Thanks for the kind words, and the great quote. It's true, man. You have to give up the idea of perfection to hit anywhere near the mark. I once heard it described as "The tyranny of perfection." It's an absolute strangler.

Another SP. Last one for a while.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to jetpack42 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it was great, we do those workshops every month and that was by far my favorite so far. It was actually my first time doing any kind of figure drawing from life/model so it was a good experience.

To change your thread thumbnail I think you change the first picture you've attached in your first post. Or it was the last picture of your first post, one of those..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the lost edges. Inspiring work!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2