Sketchbook: Ji-Li's Sketchbook - Critique Please!! <3 - Daily 30 min of gestures at least~ - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First one is apple slices study from friday. Was busy with programming and interface class that day so thats all I drew.
    Rest from yesterday/today - studies from vilppu, sketch for interface class opening screenshot idea, and study from photo...
    >.> I keep drawing everything out of proportion and it's hard for me to turn objects in perspective.

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are lovely! You're improving very fast!

Quote Originally Posted by NickyBeats View Post
    keep being crazy! its inspiring

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HomicidalManda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a bad start - keep it going

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artmessiah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you I'll keep working hard so I can improve further more!
    I haven't had time to draw yesterday and today working on my project for my compression class (it's a map editor rendered and textured using directX and c++ )
    So here's a screenshot of the window cut out the code in the bg to not scare away people lol
    these are my simple textures for testing purpose, but I'd like better grass and house and city and road icons and such later, any suggestions on making nice colored digital textures for a map editor?

also if any of you ARE 3d programmers. Any advice on mouse picking with barycentric coordinates and such?
    Trying to make it so that I can click on each mesh and then be able to change its texture with that click. Have it loop through until user reaches desired texture for that location.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final projects and preparing for final tests killing me T_T

well anyways here are some sketches I've managed to do since last time I was here and start on my interface project (have to draw a bunch of different screens ) the splash page lineart so far, don't even know what to title this "game" lol ^^;; I have a week left so I'm kinda rushing it, but definitely after it's done I'd want to improve upon my drawings or ideas and everything. (We didn't get the assignment til last week and then this week I was packed with scripting work x.x )
    So the game's theme is steampunk and thats what outfits I try to make... the guy looks way too skinny and feminine x.x; And I think both their heads are super weird x.x
    Both from my head, but I looked at different references of steampunk clothes before I drew them. Everything seems off but I'm mainly trying to get this done with color before friday x.x finals are always so evil. I wish teacher gave us more time on this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been busy with school projects. Just finished programming for our group project in game scripting class. 4 artists and I'm the one programmer that has to deal with them
    they drove me crazy but I liked the end result xD

I made the default fps into a side scroller so I'm proud of it xD I think thats not too bad considering its my first 3d game I programmed for
    I also been working on a project for interface class so we have to draw at least 12 screenshots of different parts of our game idea, all in photoshop of course cause they don't want any pencil stuff to be turned in and we were specifically told to do it in photoshop, so excuse my bad photoshop skills but I have no choice but to use it. But I hope to learn to improve both traditionally and digitally in drawing, I still do a bunch of studies when I can, which hasn't been as much lately though, but now and then I doodle them on scrap paper, which I think I threw them away. >.>;

so here is a screenshot from our first game level and flow chart for my game screens as well as some of the "screenshots" I drew out for my possible future game I'll make (program only not make models for when I do it though >.> ) others are still in guidelines only mode

Thanks
    Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good work on the studies! keep it up! when you are drawing the figure, always step back (literally) from your work, and compare the sizes of your shapes to those that you are working from. dont get caught staring too closely at details, until you have captured the overall gesture, or loose shapes and curvature of the figure.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im glade ur doing anatomy practice... keep on doing this and it wont be long till u find urself knocking on ur dream world`s gate ...

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think your doing great It is easy to see the development you have already. You seem to head in the right direction, dont forget you can switch up your practise if you ever get bored, anything you study will give you more experience as an artist and will help you reach your goals !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spiralpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    School term just ended.
    Here is my final project worked hard, though ignored bad proportions/anatomy to try to make sure it was done on time. T_T sorry. But I wanna redo one day when I improve skills.
    Will do more drawing studies during spring break.
    But as can see, this is what I been busy with for last few weeks (along with my programming classes)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the game will be great if you make it from the flash.. ^^

My heart and mind are the hardest things to understand..

My Sketchbook

My DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to concentrate on 3d games more than 2d, but dunno if I'll actually make this one into an actual game, 2d or 3d. I'll be working in Unity a lot more so I hope to show some here in the future since I take portfolio soon!
    (although mainly I'll do the programming and the art will be done more by my boyfriend)

not much art to show today, sorry I haven't had much time to draw lately, ;-; I been busy programming, I have sketches in my sketchbook but it's dead night and doesn't fit in my scanner well so I'll scan them later.

I'll try to update more!

This was just a drawing for fun. Wanted to mess with colors! Hair is like a paint brush, based on gaiaonline character items.
    So out of practice, anatomy is awkward, proportions are crazy, hands and feet have become my worse enemies again, but it's first time I've finished a drawing fully colored since months ago so hopefully after more practice soon I'll be able to produce more interesting works.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ji-li For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry haven't scanned any pencils yet, I still do them, just haven't had the time to do them at a reasonable hour (scanner loud, but daytime I'm working on school final projects) But soon I'll be free and able to!

Until then, more photoshop stuff I do mainly cause it relaxes me during this very stressful time of school finals lol
    practiced coloring - no reference
    using Artgerm's Mai lineart

Artgerm's Mai Lineart Original

my colored version:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ji-li For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    practicing the basics cool have no doubts that those are gonna pay off, in the meantime this might help you improve

Quote Originally Posted by matt kohr View Post
    If you haven't been to the site yet, you should totally check it out!

www.ctrlpaint.com

Ji-Li's Sketchbook - Critique Please!! <3 - Daily 30 min of gestures at least~

23. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks andres333!! that site is really helpful!

I decided to try a bit of value study (using a photo of some blocks) using the on screen mixing method that was taught on the site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some doodles I did for fun.
    I've been doing studies in my sketchbook and will scan them later once school is back and while it's not as busy, but these are the for fun drawings without reference, cept for pose, just testing out things.
    1st is my main original character that is used to represent me.
    2nd is just a random original character.
    3rd is dotted self portrait for fun. (referenced off photo)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you here Ji-Li. What language are you programming in and what engine you use makes a difference. Most engines have some sort of instructions for creating mouse interactions on the screen. It usually involves a 2d/3d coordinate projection from the point on the screen where your mouse is centered. I recommend try to copy one of your favorite paintings section by section. Might learn a lot. Cheerios!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cout<mecha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cout<mecha View Post
    My main language is c++, but I'm flexible in working other languages.
    Currently working in Unity and Flash to create games for my portfolio, graduating next term. (Roughly ends march of next year)
    You are programmer also?
    with that cout in your username, I'd guess you like c++ too?
    I've also worked with shaders, some 3d modeling, and other such aspects for the game development, but mainly I love to script.
    Oh and when I was asking about mouse interaction I wasn't using any engine. Completely from scratch in DirectX with c++ so that's why it was difficult and needed stronger calculations. Mouse interaction in game engines are SO much easier!

And thanks I'll try that and see if it helps me improve.

Last edited by ji-li; October 7th, 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're off to a great start. Just keep doing your studies and keep posting so that we can all see your progression.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed
    Deviant Art

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bish0p:thanks! I'll try to be more consistent with posting, seems digital sketches and such are easiest for me to post cause I always forget to scan my pencil sketches when I'm in an area where a scanner is x.x;
    Just so busy, but I do draw everyday in my sketchbook, so once I find time and remember to scan it at that big scanner at school I'll try to show all of that!

Anyways, today I decided to do homework for my prototyping class so gonna show it:
    I'm a programmer and usually we aren't expected to do the artist's homework, but my teacher made an exception to me cause she knows I do love drawing despite my field, and so she told me to draw at least 10 thumbnail sketches, I don't think there was any themes so I just kinda played around with various possible characters, creatures, and robots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally Scanning my sketchbook, only some parts, cause 3 months worth of stuff is unneccessary to show all, I think best to just show the studies worth noting, I had a lot of off days that just didn't make sense to show, much more studies done but just showing overall studies done in pencils
    Also random character designs and such occassionally.
    Posted in order of where it is in sketchbook:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Game programmer? That's awesome
    Critwise I would say that some of your figures look a bit outta proportion, but that can be easily solved Loomis has some great proportional charts in "Figure drawing for all it's worth". Keep up the studies and the hard work!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to lohes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks lohes and yea I've looked through the loomis books and such I need to practice more but I'm trying to force time in now and then for drawings
    and cause I refuse to post without at least something to show
    here is art poop that came out today x.x; I got more stuff but that involves scanning... so this is easiest to show now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, I see that you started from the same loomis book I am on now. Now that I look at your anatomy drawings towards the end of the thread I can see loads of improvement. Really nice job keep it up!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Blenz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the way the noses came out .
    Keep up the hard work!

Killadroid's Korner (my sketchbook)

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Killadroid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Programming is hard >.< It all reads like rocket-surgery to me!!
    Once you get this drawing thing you'll be a force to be reckoned with!
    My advice would be to start at the absolute basics. Simple perspective studies of cubes / spheres / cylinders focusing on clean correct perspective lines.
    best way is to use simple objects- bottles, boxes, cans etc- and draw them in different perspectives. On a high shelf, low shelf, eye level.
    Instead of in depth anatomy studies - scapulas (scapulae... scapuli...) pelvises and what not just do simple form studies of the figure. Some people use boxes, some cylinders or spheres.
    Once you've got a good handle on perspective and proportions you can refine your figures by learning more about specific anatomy
    Gotta start with the ABC's before you can read the books. Starting with the books will just be really frustrating.
    Good luck and Happy sketching!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies Julie, and cool to see another programmer-artist!

The main suggestion I can make it to spend some time working on visual measuring and proper placement of features. ESPECIALLY important when your face is in 3/4s view, it's SO easy for that to go wrong.

A good exercise is to take a photo and attempt to draw lines through visual landmarks, say from the bridge of the nose down to the corners of the nostrils and then past, to the edge of the mouth. Do the same on both sides of the nose. Pay attention to the angles formed. Do this with the mouth, draw a line passing through it following the curve of the face around the head, see where it meets the bottom of the ears.

Do this exercise over the ref, then do it for your picture. Draw faint lines, use small dots to mark out where the features should lie. No detail, just marking out the places where the features begin and end. DON'T move on until you're happy with your proportioning, no amount of detailing will fix this if you don't get these proportions right.

Focus on figuring out the broad relationships first

Multi-class - Programmer / Artist

My sketchbook -here.

My indie gamedev blog - here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blenz: haha thanks, still long ways to go on that anatomy though
    @killadroid: thanks!
    @rhubix: lol programming is much easier than drawing xD Yea I draw basic shapes and do shape studies a lot in my sketchbook, but only scanned some of them onto here. And yea I do need to practice perspective. Thanks!
    @naked ninja: Thanks! yay for programmer artists! not enough out there! haha yea I do that sometimes but I get lazy about but it's definitely showing so I'll get back to doing that xD thanks!

I did more in sketchbook but as usual hate lugging that poor oversized sketchbook into my tiny scanner, it's breaking the thing.
    Also cause I need to practice digital more so I can make art for my flash game. Refuse to go hire someone just cause I want visuals to a 2d game that's only to show my coding skills. I prefer doing it myself. Although it'll probably be very simple cartoonish style cause animating that would be easier, but I think I still probably should get proportions and such right still.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My uncles a programmer to! Well your off to a good start. Dont forget to do some life drawings. They help alot.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook! Your work is coming along nicely, I agree with VenS who posted above me, do a bunch of studies from life. Its really helpful to be able to interact with your subjects.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to BoizenB For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3