Scad?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Scad?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down Scad?

I have just got accepted to Savanah College of Art and Design and was looking forward to attending it in the Fall. Then I heard that the College has had alot of (bad) controversy in the past and losing their accreditation. Also rumors of the College include the horrifc treatment of the student body, bad admins and little to no help in job hunting. This website http://www.scad.info/ also contains alot of information concerning the college.

Is anyone else here attended or is currently attending SCAD? If so what are your experiances with the College? Is it actually worth going?

Thanks

"BANG! You're dead Max Payne."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to SCAD, and yes I think it's worth the experience. scad.info only talks about all the negative stuff that goes down and most of the time is blown out of proportion. Is the school perfect? No.. but myself and plenty of friends who go there have jobs now and would fully recommend the school. It's like most other high profile art schools; good professors, amazing equipment, pretty town, etc. Take a visit, judge for yourself.. don't judge opinions on some biased hate site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEHE, you found the infamous SCAD.info page ...
    created by untallented winers for untallented winers.

The only real problem with this school lies in the fact that 90% of the kids just lay around and bitch about shit rather than trying to learn or apply what they've learned to their portfolio.
    If you come here to learn, if you apply what you learn, if you fall in love with your chosen craft you will have no problem crushing the meek here and getting yourself a job.

All schools have their problems, it's part of the college experience and yes SCAD has plenty of its problems. If you truely want to succeede SCAD's one of the better places to achieve this mostly because the professors here are very friendly. If you let them know you're trying they'll always remember you. I have ways of contacting my major professors at any time.

little to no help in job hunting
    That's simply not true, I'm signed up at the placement office and they send me AT LEAST 6 to 8 job/internship/freelance opportunities a WEEK!
    A lot of people graduate from here and complain about job-hunting, but they never took the effort to go schedule an appointment at the placement office.

If you wanna pay any heed to what SCAD.info has given you then just keep in mind that it was created by failures that were forced to watch their friends graduate and move on with their goals.

Whatever education you get it's up to you to apply what you learn and succeede.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^^Awesome post, very inspiring, and very true. If you want excel at art or anything for that matter you have to not only learn, but apply what you've learned. The site is indeed probably made by a bunch of moronic losers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Good to see that SCAD.info is wrong about the College.
    Thanks for the info guys ^^ :chug:

"BANG! You're dead Max Payne."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I graduated from SCAD with a degree in motion graphics about two years ago, and I think it's worthwhile.

I will say I wish that they would have weed out classes. It’s kinda annoying to come to class with some project you put in more than 40 hours in to, and a guy will show up with something he whipped up the night before then he proceeds to tell you what’s wrong with your project.

I do have a couple of other complaints but they pale in comparison to what I took away from the college.

Plus, it’s hard to swallow criticism about an art school from a website that is so ugly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm stepping in here for a moment. I did not go to SCAD, but Michael Phillipi did. He left this message on an illustrators forum this week. Thought I should pass it along...

I should have posted this last week, but...

errr, If there are any other SCAD alumni out there, Traci Haymans died a week and a half ago (3/24) from complications from brain cancer. She was the illustration department chair for the majority of the time I've been at SCAD (both my BFA and MFA). The memorial ceremony was last Saturday.

I figured if there were any other SCAD folks out there, ya'll would want to know if you haven't already heard. Sorry for the slow passing on of info.

best,
    michael

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHOA!!!
    That sucks hard about Traci... I had a class with her.
    She was one COOL lady.

Helluva a way too find out.

Godspeed Traci...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.