Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: M-Min's Sketchbook & exercises

Thanks

M-Min's Sketchbook & exercises

Gonna keep it real simple here. I'd love to be able to draw well and decided to jump right into it. Here are some quick gestures that I threw up using Vilppu last night. I used

http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html

for the models. Some of them I'm happy with. Some, not so much. Crits or comments are welcome.
    Last edited by M-Min; October 7th, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
    Sketchbook

Support Group:
    jtaart | mrianna | Kashmir
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice! that's a great idea. I realize this is your first post, but some suggestions for other things to work on are: portrait sketches, landscape composition thumbnails, hands, feet, detailed figure drawings (loomis books are great), and then any finished work you have. Try never to fall into a comfort zone, and just keep posting art as much as possible. Welcome to CA!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrown67 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks jbrown! i'll work in some loomis and environment sketches in my next post.

here are more gestures, noses, head rotations and two drawings from last year.

the noses actually came out better than i thought but i seem to be having difficulties with shading and value. any advice on how i can improve on it?
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    haven't posted in a while. i've only got myself to blame for it. anyways, here's my failed attempt at an environment from reference. a few more gestures and poses using the pixelovely gesture tool. i'm working on an a2 drawing board but i'm tilting my head a bit too much to look at the screen. (i'm working off a laptop) is there some other way of measuring proportions? sight-sizing doesn't seem to be working at an angle.

priority to work on:
    - proportions
    - shading
    - less sketchy lines

it's my first time working with ink. i love the feel of these pigma microns. definitely going to be working with them a lot.

p/s: i have no idea what those swirly things are either but i had a very random moment.
    Last edited by M-Min; August 27th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    Nice work on the gestures! I've done a lot of my gesture drawing from pixelovely and lovecastle as well. Something I've learned is that it's very important to keep drawing from life as well! Transferring from one 2D plane to another will leave some gaps in your knowledge. If you're not already, I'd suggest finding a few interesting objects, as well as geometric shapes, and draw those daily. I have a skull model I enjoy drawing, but now I'm finding even it is just too complex. Gotta start basic!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Clead3d, Thanks for sharing that link to lovecastle. That site looks awesome!

Still not drawing as often as I should. Gotta try and rectify that.

Here's an update. I really struggled with that last one. The edges on the value studies I think are a bit too dark and there's not enough of a gradual transition on the curved surfaces. There's almost no highlight on the spheres and the cast shadow feels wrong somehow.
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    Another quick update.
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    I took a trip to the countryside over the weekend for a commercial shoot and brought my sketchbook along. My only regret is that I wish I had more time up there.

Attachment 1325560
    Attachment 1325561
    Attachment 1325562

The horse kept moving away out of sight almost every two minutes.

Attachment 1325576
    Attachment 1325578

An earlier sketch that I found in my book. Shadow construction and generating a smooth transition between tones still seem to be my main enemy.

Attachment 1325558

Here's the result from the life drawing session I attended last night. It was a lot of fun and an amazing environment. I think I might just make this a weekly thing. There were some very challenging poses but I hope to improve on my sketches.

I just received my copy of "Natural Way to Draw" this morning with "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman and "Figure Drawingesign & Invention" on their way. Can't wait to dig in!! Fun Times! Crits and comments are encouraged.

Attachment 1325563
    Attachment 1325564
    Attachment 1325565
    Attachment 1325567
    Attachment 1325566
    Attachment 1325568
    Attachment 1325569
    Attachment 1325570
    Attachment 1325571
    Attachment 1325572
    Attachment 1325574
    Attachment 1325575
    Attachment 1325569
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    Hi again all! After a few months of soul searching, working and deciding on what it is I wanted to do with my life, I'm back now with a mission. I'm not gonna make anymore excuses (or at least try not to). The problem I'm having is discipline but I am trying to work on that.

Attachment 1511764

I reeeaally need to work on those elipses

Attachment 1511765

Some cubes in perspective. I got a bit impatient on some of these I think.

Attachment 1511778

Attachment 1511769

Some practice elipses. I keep running into the issue of having "tails" or the lines not connecting. I did some practices using graphite as well. Tried slowing down, speeding up and I keep coming up with the same results.

Attachment 1511766

This time I tried to change my hand grip and used the broad side of the pencil. I don't like the soft line quality but at least the ends are starting to meet. Maybe it's the way I'm observing??

Attachment 1511767

Gestures and stuff

Attachment 1511772

Attachment 1511771

I found a photo of a jug that had a dark background. I thought I was doing okay then I leaned back some more... *sigh*

Attachment 1511773

Some objects that were scattered on my table. I think I like the cone the best

Attachment 1511774

I recalled a tutorial on CtrlPaint where Matt Kohr was teaching about breaking down objects into simpler forms. Spoons were the subject, so I decided to do the same.

Attachment 1511776

Some kitchen utensils. Gah! my shading's terrible!!

Attachment 1511775

Some small thumbnails I've done in my pocket sketchbook.

Attachment 1511777

With the gestures that I've done I'm a little bit confused in terms of what I'm meant to show/depict. In Michael Hampton's book, he talks about trying to understand what the model is doing/ or its story. I've been told to avoid contours and just focus on the pose itself but most of the gestures that I've seen in the sketchbooks ARE contours. Am I highlighting the contours as well as the general flow or are they both one and the same when it comes to gestural drawing?
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    i really should smack myself for not drawing enough.

Attachment 1517715

Attachment 1517716

Attachment 1517717
    Sketchbook

Support Group:

Thanks
    Patience and Discipline, Good luck!
    SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

Thanks
    I've looked through your sketchbook and you've made a good start but there's one thing I really notice that you can work on that will really help you improve and that's the structure of the things you are drawing. Especially the human form and animal anatomy, don't concentrate on getting the values down but rather concentrate on getting the shapes in the right place with the correct proportions, traing yourself to see the shapes instead of 'this is arm or this is a leg' it may help to leave the values until you've got a good grip on that then begin to incorporate them into your sketches.

Thanks
    my biggest suggestions for you sir are avoiding the deadly "chicken scratch line" and structure structure structure! Don't be so hesitant with you lines. Try and get the line you want in one sweep, and if you dont get it the first time, erase it and do try it again. And as far as structure, on the gestures, keep the fluidity you have, but still indicate where the spine and joints are. drawing rough shapes to indicate the direction of the hands and feet wouldn't hurt either. For the longer poses, really think of the body as shapes (I usually think of the skull, the spine, the ribs and pelvis). But still get the gesture down as fast as you did for the shorter poses, then build off of that. Good luck!
    >>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast