Sketchbook: James Thomas' Weekly Sketchbook :D - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 6

Ok well i left this till late, otherwise i wud have camped it for several hours n made it nice, tho i am still trying out the better way of painting, and i gotta say i am enjoying it and learning alot more whilst doing it.
    Early days yet, cant beleive this is only day 6 or so, even tho its been a little longer than a week i think, (i dont know anymore haha)- but yeah, i only plan to increase my workload from here, so expect big things to come within the next week, after than it should be quite a solid amount of work to acheive my 100 in a month!
    I probably wont get there, but hell, ima try haha.
    Crits welcome as usual, enjoy your weekend peeps ;D- hoping i can post on the weekend if not, a big pile on sunday or something haha.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 7

Eh, sorry about the lame post, tho i dont mind it, as i am still learning a great deal with this new painting method, and really loving it.
    Spent 2-3 hours on maya and had it crash on me so i cant be bothered, and im sick =<.
    Anyways. i still am proud i posted something! considering it was greek easter holidays this weekend i did ok. gunna ramp it up this week and hit it HARD. LOTS of work coming out this week i am confident!

Quote of the day: be still like the mountains, but flowing like the river

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey yall. this is just a piece for university, u can see its older version on page 7 somewere, but i just painted over the top of this one, simplified some parts and refined others- tbh, i still dont "like like" it. but itll do.
    Wanted to work on some personal stuff, but ill wait till morning for that, way too tired/lonely to bother.
    Spent most my day trying to fix my joint up where i live so yeh rofl, sometimes u need a break. Hoping to get some good work done from 2morro till friday..
    Really gunna try my best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your art is very creative I like that you're doing studies and pushing yourself to learn, keep it up, the improvement is obvious! It'll only get better

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the-muddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -> thanks alot for your comment mate, i am trying to study alot, though i consider them all practise for now haha! bit like that isnt it. Really want to explore before i go for more serious pieces, though i am in the workings of that.
    Here is a piece of the Sydney opera house being attacked by a dragon of some sort, was just a study for university but i actually enjoyed it. - The teacher wanted us to do a really slow and boring method ...so naturally i didnt listen to her' ha. o well. Enjoy, more posts coming tonight of course Lots of work this week CMONNNNN!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you should try to differentiate the materials for starters (wood, metal, etc). then add some complexity, by adding details.
    it would help you to do some studies before/or while you're in the process of creating an illustration.
    have fun

8. The Following User Says Thank You to razv23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razy -> Ah yes i was just thinking that today after working on this character, on how i could make his texture seem more troll like. I shall study some materials tomorrow and see how i can incorporate them into my work, definently something i could use. - perhaps some experiments with photos or something also?..im not sure yet.
    Just another piece, this one is a troll, just had some fun with it, no biggy, just another study i guess Crits and Feedback always welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiii thanks for the kind words on my Sb that was very nice of you

oi this sketchbook took a while to look at and it was confusing in the best way...
    idk what you're better at.. drawing from observation or from imagination.

I want to tell you, YOU HAVE AN AWESOME IMAGINATION!
    never let that go, i really like the general drawings in this sketchbook, if (when)you improve your skills i think your imagination will come through in your sketches like never before.
    so here's one thing that confused me. there is varying skill level in here it seems.. like some sketches are REALLY good and some are lax compared to the others.

from earlier in your SB this drawing was really good. the man in the block exactly what you should keep shooting for. ..yes the legs are a bit off. but the proportions are solid.

in this painting/sketch the female came out really good. that's a good wire frame! with the blue blob you should blend more and really detail the transitions.

this one is ok. but i think you can work harder at the shades and blending gradients to make the face pop like in the photo ref you took. just start on one area like the chin, zoom in, and really work on it hard. and then move from small area to small area concentrating on the parts.

THIS ONEe!!!! is ambitious! i like that, a lot. study perspective and keep being ambitious.. I KNOW you may hate how this one looks and you may think i'm odd for liking it, but what i really see is all your imagination trying to leap out onto the page at once, like there's too many ideas to draw. but do more like this and work on it until you're truly happy with it. all in all i think you're a really good artist in the making,

and again thanks for the nice comment! i really appreciate it!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sporus -> Wow thanks for the detailed reply buddy, you really put time and effort into that post. and i read it several times and took it into consideration deeply. Im not sure what to say, im speechless. My imagination has always been my friend, what isnt my friend is my lazy self and time constraints, alot of my work varies alot because of time- some pieces i spend 30 minutes, i rush it, i get bored. and some i actually "feel" and want to work on.
    I have very few works i am actually proud of, and i really wish i had at least a handful of ones i really enjoy myself (even if others dont think they are super fab).
    I think over the next few weeks, i really want to get a "portfolio" together- not of work to show people for jobs, or for harsh crit. but just something i can sum up "me" and my art in a nutshell, but also show them my sides..
    I am getting better at consistency, i do however have to balance university and other commitments, but i am slowly putting my powers and *Energy* Positive light and empowering myself to work longer hours and really care for my work.
    And i can only think in the next few weeks/month some decent work will come out of me. I just feel so rushed sometimes, u feel like u DONT have enough time to sit and draw everything you ever wanted...Lets be real, we are only human. But i guess we can only try.
    Again- thanks for you post

some small uni work from today- Items for a game. and a "world" design.
    Nothing too special, i had fun and good practice doing the small thumbnails
    definitely was a fun way of getting small ideas out, but in a more design/conceptual manner, and not as "arty".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ->Tronrobot- Thanks

Ps everyone, i wont b able to post probably for a week or two..some retard has used all my internet up and ive got a sneaking suspicion it aint me...i dont know if itll charge me alot and i ceebs ringing my internet provider.
    I will use this time to hone some skills in and really come back better than ever
    Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dumped'

a Dump of what ive been doing as of late, working hard, i would HOPE its paying off. Though i personally think so, i would like some nice feedback (nothing cruel please) haha- Anyone know anything about giving threads ratings?..
    Ive always wondered why mine sucks and has none, maybe its cus i suck i dunno haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Faux is tired.

Like playing a slow game of backgammon.
    Nah nah, heres some more work, and the last piece is just a 3d piece i am working on, i am very new to 3d, so dont be harsh haha.
    I think this batch is alot better then the Batch above.
    Enjoy! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

end of the month!

First i shall post this up to end the month,
    my final result was 32 photoshop files (though about 3 of those were paintings in real life). so all together i would say legitimately i did:
    28/100 i would have liked to have done.
    This month im going to aim a little more realistically, though i will admit i didnt draw from the 1st-31st. i was pretty slack for the first week or so. if not more,This time on the other hand i will aim for more. i shall post that next - all in all, i think i learn alot, and hope to learn lots more in the next month and see how i go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux starts a new month :)

Hooray, a new month for new art!
    Going to start this month off on a good note, and try to aim for a post everyday, if not, then definently some work!
    Alot of this month will be homework related to university, so expect some 3d modelling and so forth thrown in, ill try to keep it to a minimum tho!
    This month i would definently like to aim for at least 30 decent pieces/studies/watever. Digital.
    My overall goal is 50 pieces of art or more. So that includes hand drawn/traditional etc. but i will definently do as much as i can.
    After this month i am on holidays, and u can expect a huge increase of work over that 6 week break, so in a sense, this is a "warm-up" for then- as much as this month will be a challenge for me tho

Wish me luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day two of the new month excited to see some progression in my work, though i want to spice it up tomorro, perhaps take a new approach, and really push my boundaries. I would also like to fit in some small studies also to accompany my experiments!
    wish me luck, 2morro is a busy day of life annoyances..so hopefully i manage to get what i am aiming for done! or i wont be happy haha

Crits and comments always welcome- be gentle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the studies draw everything you think looks cool.

till next time
    -Jamie

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for no big update, but ive been busy working on this assignment, theres more to it than this + working on a game. but i just figured id show u some small snippets of it while its a work in progress - sorry for bad quality, its just to show u guys, not a final render OR finished cheers!
    learning alot tho, i guess thats a good thing!
    Will submit lots of ART tomorrow i promise ty for support!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux is sick, again.

Hey all, havent been able to do much work because just my luck i get sick before a hell heap of homework is due for university, so i barely have time for that yet alone personal work. Ill be throwing up some 3D stuff tomorro and "maybe" some more photoshop and lovely fun stuff but i am still quite ill and spent all day today doing dumb Maya...but i managed to find a few minutes spare time to do this character in mudbox (dont particularly like it but it seems easy enuf to convert to both psd and maya files.)
    Anyways- need some crits and some lovely feedback!
    was just experimenting with some weird ways to present work, the last one was just sketches i decided to muck with- nothing fantastic but i think it has potential..for junk haha
    NEED motivation to get through these sick days!!..this month is gunna suck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually thought the character was pretty cool, but I do not know much about 3D stuff.

Sometimes I cannot "read" your images, think more carefully about what you want to depict.

oh and you are not alone in sickness

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like how you're playing with hue and saturation to define your shapes especially since you've made the entire composition dark. I'd like to see some work of yours with more light exploration, not such a dark closed in scene of one item.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Irin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the ghostlike grey abstracts are really nice
    i think they might benefit from having a larger value range, some darks and some highlights
    but thats up to you

30. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sushy -> Thanks for the feedback, i totally agree, i definently need to spend longer to refine my designs and lay out and "think" what im actually creating, something im definently reconsidering.

Irin -> Recently ive been trying to paint with values, which it seems i need a broader range because im getting alot of flattening with just midtone greys, its just how ive been painting atm- but i will definently take that into consideration, thanks.

Aks9 -> Thanks alot, they do seem a bit ghostly haha, i need to work on showing materials and definently need to break free from just black backrounds and do more Complete imagery- i am considering approaching my work from a more DESIGN aspect, as is probably most like as a commercial concept artist, rather than a fine artist/artist.

--------------
    Sorry everyone for the lack of work, university has me Asunder. Totally killing me with 3D work and such, Tomorrow i hope to get a break and make up for this pathetic month, my brain is bursting with new innovating methods of creating art and i really want to STEP IT UP before the holidays begin in two weeks, and will be grateful
    for any outside wisdom and Crits i can get between now and then.
    My apologies for more boring 3d work, ill try not to post much of it in the future.
    Warning: Potentially wont be posting for a while as i need to hit the basics and re calibrate my approach once more, and also with university coming to a close, i dont have much free time to myself anyway, we will see! - i dont really feel too guilty, cus i have actually been working my butt off, just not in the areas id like to/wish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux Buckles down for studying

Welcome to another thoughtful post of mine where i enjoy talking to myself!
    Just throwing up some work, as you may or may not know its crunchtime for university students doing homework, so not much to post.
    Then 6 enjoyable weeks for you to help guide me into producing some lovely work (Hopefully my best) in each field.

What would be awesome!:
    - If anyone could post some nice topics or some inspirational threads
    - Or some nice study/reference sites

so i can come back in a week and study hardcore
    I DO have my own stash, but i would appreciate to hear some stuff from you guys and some cool Ideas you'd like me to attempt and so forth..i will gladly try them out! - Thanks in advance

In other good news i think ive finally thought of a good Niche to take my work down, but i would love to hear suggestions as to where you think my work could head in (note: im study games design/art) if that helps.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ Please give some feedback to the above, thanks - I need direction haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux, lonely soldier :P

Hey all, not many people come by to visit me on my thread haha, im getting cold out here!
    anyways i have some newish work to show, a deep sea creature and a more "conceptual" rough to show him coming out of the sea in a rage- he is a biological creation that went miserably wrong..and out for revenge!

Probably the last piece of work ill be posting for a while, maybe a week because holidays are almost coming and i have some last-minute homework to complete and then i am free to do watever i please- HOPIN to get some art skills up for sure!

...Anyways..feel free to give me some motivation, i could use some haha :>
    Crits and such welcome also of course!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the left seems good, in the center of light you know, dramatic composition.

Demon concept looks interesting BTW, looking forward to see you finishing it.

And good pirate ship!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaron - thanks buddy, always appreciate support! i shall stop by your sketchbook soon.

- Just another post today, been working on some other things, im on holidays now so im gunna try to post daily, will need some crits and stuff especially now, thanks all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just something i was working on these last few days, been working on some other projects so haven't been posting much, but i will from now on as promised- hope you like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawr - just something i whipped up.
    Tis likely all i will post now is studies, i want to be tight in the fundamentals.
    and maybe the odd doodle here and there just for fun
    Really would appreciate some feedback and lovely comments to make me feel special is always fun!

Enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 1/100 - 60 + 90 second poses [ and 2x 5 minute 'studies']

AS i was saying, i want to really throw my weak point out there-studies.
    I am not going to edit these, these are just straight scanned stuff, this is a really big thing for alot of artists to hide their worst work, but i will do the opposite if it helps me learn. Fundementals have been something i feel like i skipped, and yet many do.

So for this year, i will try to spend 100 days of ti studying, even if its just for 30 minutes. That way i can know i tried.
    Its going to make me look like a NOOB but i dont care!!

Wish me luck . Btw i will be posting another one today, as this is yesterdays haha! ;D

Oh and i made a nice template for me to use, sorry about any blank spots.

Last edited by James Thomas; June 6th, 2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Needed more info.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6