Sketchbook: James Thomas' Weekly Sketchbook :D - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, you are really making progress, keep it up! And thanks for visiting my sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blu01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Ahoy there.
    You have a nice sketchbook and I like some of your
    imaginary paintings. I am a bit boring with these advices,
    but i just have to repeat cause they are the basic steps
    and you will have to do more value studies on more BASIC
    subjects. So, do not jump straight into aliens and angels, try
    to do instead some renderings of a ball or a box from life,
    change the light source, watch how shadows and light reacts.
    Then when you learn to deal with the basic shapes, you will
    then understand better the human head structure or something
    even more complex than that. Hope I help a bit with this.
    Either way, you have the heart and soul, you just do not stop working.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

work day 3?

Blu01 -> thanks buddy, no problems :]

LtPlissken -> Thanks for the reply! yeah your right, i just HATE boring studies, i really should cut back a bit more, i think today was quite obvious because i spent so many hours on this portrait of the character Jack sparrow - i guess i need some more fundementalllsss..tomorro i will do an entire day of them then
    Thanks for your help!

Below is the finish portrait of "Jack Sparrow" - he looks like a bloody creep in this photo.
    and some quick fun in photoshop. not much today, i am in incredible pain still- but i linger on ....hopefully better luck 2morro

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment, A Faux! Yeah, my art is a bit varied right now. Just trying to do some stuff that pops in my head. I looked through your pages and I'm seeing some improvement! The thing that might be most beneficial is using reference which I seen you do on one piece. I think studying from real life will help you achieve a level up! Keep up the great work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SergeantCrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Faux, thanks for stopping by. I took a peek at the previous pages and I see some improvements! And I also have to agree at what sgt. Crow said, studying from real life helps alot.
    I noticed that you draw creatures too, so my advice is to study stuff from Arthropods to those four legged animals to... you name it! Because I think it could use some help.
    It's just my point of view.

Keep up the good work!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dormema For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how the sketchbook is coming along keep it up. I love the burger piece haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rollen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back, but why..

sergeantCrow -> yeh i find it hard to get good reference, its sometimes hard to beleive observation can help, but i guess it does over a lengthy period. thx

SatelliteNoodles -> Thanks buddy, yeh that wud be cool but i dont think i am ready to learn from such complex creatures i kinda suck hehe.

Rollen -> anytime bud, hehe yeh that was fun they took it off their website lols...silly people.

OK IM BACK from my self induced hell caused by stress and other shizz..
    i dont really know why i am back sometimes, i dont particulary see any skill in the works i do..and i do them at a great sacrifice. (ie i study and dont work. and live in a craphole)
    so its very hard to stay positive..especially at such sacrifice.
    i guess ill give it one more go, though itll always be a dream of mine, sometimes we have to be realistic..i dont want to be 25 and still living here, i dont even want to live here TODAY haha.
    ....so as i said, ill give it a fair go, ill study hard over the next few months..hopefully my situation changes a bit or i get self motivated from "leveling up"

i really tried today, idk wats wrong with me -.-
    below: anatomy basic study (female) proportions.
    and a blob...to which i dont know why haha.

under that: some sort of weird muscly clam..humanoid chest idk..
    i got no idea haha.

THIS IS WHY I HAVE TO STUDY or i die poor :<!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm ok i said id be back, and i tried hard to study.
    i studied from mainly loomis and some self observation..
    Ive also thrown in a personal piece, that means quite alot to me, its too hard to explain it to anyone, including myself sometimes.
    Thankfully i have a supporting girlfriend who keeps me alive..
    I suppose the last piece means sometimes dreams can destroy you, and sometimes u have to be realistic and move on, fend for yourself, make do with what you got..story of my life tbh.

Sorry for the crappy work, i hope to improve..so..dont judge me
    tomorro and the day after i will be posting some quick observations done in pencil or pen...traditional stuff, since i wont be home..i wont be positing it till saturday- so dont be calling me lazy too!

Last edited by James Thomas; March 26th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha nani? :V

Yeah it is important to keep doing personal pieces, since those are the ones that will reflect your style... Good studies, I would suggest to keep working with traditional media too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to just say that i am leaving conceptart.org yet again.
    i realise ive done this a few times, but i guess its like smoking, sometimes u have to quit 50 times before u can be cured
    Reasons: basically i think conceptart is a friendly community, but it depends on the person on how they can use that feedback- sometimes its too much to handle at once to cover all your bases at once.
    secondly as much as i enjoy posting, i think i can focus more if i dont for personal reasons- i am not very social (not saying this is a social website) but i need to hone myself before i can reach out.
    so if i do come back, it will probably be once i am confortable with my work ethic and my own creative thunderstorms before i can ask for outside help.
    because frankly its only my ethic that lacks. my speed of progression and such is all fine
    considering i cud barely draw a stick figure 2 years ago (not many people know this).
    Id like to thank everyone and wish them a MERRY christmas goodluck on your journey, for whatever reason you are taking it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I return :)

Well im back ladies and gents.
    Life hasn't been easy, but i am here again because i love art and hope to improve I have been attending my uni course and completed my first full sketchbook which i am proud of haha, though right now i am looking to enjoy my work and be happy! I dunno what else to add haha, lets hope for the best

Here is some pieces ive worked on this year, its not all of them but this took long enough to upload, so enjoy Friendly crits please for now, im fragile hehe :3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First piece of the night - pretty satisfied considering it started out pretty rough, the concept is "evil bunnies have taken over a school yard/the world"
    Well, just gotta say, i am glad to be back on conceptart.org, its the little things that make life worth it we cant take for granted, sometimes its hard to see clearly in a foggy room..
    Anyways, this was supposed to be for uni, but if they dont want it, F them haha. was good experience.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good to see that you're back to art! A lot of people think they are alone in their difficulties with being consistent and assume they're just not "cut out for it", but I think it helps to know how many others are or have been in the same boat. I updated my sketchbook yesterday for the first time in I think two YEARS! When you're constantly struggling to get better as fast as possible, it can be hard to keep going for sure. Just take it easy, draw when you feel good and do what you actually enjoy (boring stuff has to be there too, but find something you have fun doing!).

All that being said, looks like you've made some great progress. I can tell you vary quite a bit between slow and methodical work and quick sketching, I think that's a very good thing to do! I have a hard time getting myself to practicing anything quick, I always end up spending a lot of time on just a single drawing. Do you plan on doing a lot of Loomis again or focusing more on imaginative stuff?

Hope to see you stick around!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at it. I know things get tough and sometimes you just lose all that motivation you might've once had. Yochanan's right, you just keep pushing forward and draw because it makes you FEEL GOOD, like you hopefully did when you started out. Here's a suggestion, though, and I think it would really help. Take a day and really learn perspective. (It takes much more time than a day to learn it, obviously ). And just start with boxes. Draw boxes in as many positions as possible, in 1, 2 and 3 point perspectives, until you can draw them in your sleep. This seemed goofy to me at first, but after I could actually sense a box in 3d space on paper, all of my work seemed to fit better and look more realistic and have better form, because I instantly knew where the perspective was lacking and could fix it much better than before, when I was just guessing. Combine that with your figure studies, and your figures will look a bajillion times better. Promise.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another piece ive been working on, gunna try painting in solids only, kinda sick of linework, it only turns out messy and makes everything look 2-dimensional.
    guess its a little different from sketchbooking, but it must be learnt.
    Probably post some more work up 2morro, kinda wanna keep consistant- hard with lifes many problems isnt it :] but hey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha so amatuer it suprises me better work 2morro i shall hope
    night all'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you are back

this one could become a really cool painting :> http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1332948239

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a few pieces i want to post up from my sketchbook to make up for not posting yesterday, but also a new one from today (the last image)
    hope you like, some kind feedback would be apreciated, but i love flattery haha..gotta keep them daily posts up eh, university work had be so busy yesterday lol- Anyways.. tomorrow gunna do some value studies i think, need to learn really badly. ok ive put up a few snippets out of my sketchbook, hope you like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice stuff, keep at it. I can definitely see an improvement in your work over just the past few posts. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your value studies. Also do more landscapes, they have a really cool look to them. If you are having trouble with rendering digitally check out ctrl-paint.com.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Metallurgist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok well i did PROMISE i wud post daily, and i didnt keep that up cus im still gettin ma stuff together (broken pieces of my soul )
    but i really, really want to try hard now, and i think i am ready to really step it up a notch. So well, ive got 9 days off, and i definently see that as an opportunity to turn myself around a bit more, not saying im a complete failure, i think im far from it- but i want to GRASP the opportunity and become a better artist and i guess, all round better productive person!
    Wish me luck, i hope to post DAILY definently, and if i cant, i will be definently doing work daily of some sort of art related nonsense
    really am hoping this be a turning point, i am overdue and with 1.5 years left (well about 16 months) till i need to be going freelance or lookin for a job, i need to not waste anymore time
    Looking forward to the bright possibilities - and hey, if it dont work out, i can always try again yay!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some nice stuff in your sketchbook (the paper one I mean, post 198!), particularly like the expression of the character in the third image. Your digital imaginative stuff lacks some perspective and form I think, so like you suggested yourself, doing just simple studies would probably help a ton (and learning perspective obviously, can't help with that though)!

You can learn a lot from just finding a photo on Google that you like (I recommend finding sculptures or other objects that aren't particularly reflective or has a lot of color, and some with good lighting too), desaturate it, pump up the contrast, do a 200% increase in canvas to the right (so you get the same size). Then just do a simple block-in and focus on nailing the values, no matter what you want to focus on in the future I don't think there's any way around traditional value studies, even if they can feel boring to some.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 1

-> thanks all for the posts firstly, i appreciate the support! sorry i cant really respond to you personally on here, but if someone does ask a Question then i shall write on your sketchbook thread Thankyou tho!

Here is night 1 of my crazy scheme to get better and improve.
    im pleasantly suprised for 30 minute pieces, even though i started late, i must say i am proud i didnt give up..and i hope to just keep consistant and do more work, get my work ETHIC up..i think thats really important for me at the moment, some stability in life - These were just 30 minute pieces to get the blood flowing i guess, all based on reference but added some imagination to it/alterations too...might aswell make it exciting eh?
    Any small tips and advice, but nothing too serious because that will probably confuse me! but i will definently read it!
    Dont really like the last drapery one, i think i will do more of them another time tho, they are a strange thing still..content with the results
    these are in the order of completion, i think the lamp was the best done in the group, though it was a good reference and subject matter, which i think helped alot. unlike the pumpkin which lacked value to begin with..not much i could do...Goodnight peeps i look foward to some tasty comments and motivations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 2

Welcome all, Day two of my craaaazy schemes (when are they NOT crazy!)
    Basically jumped back into the studies, i enjoyed them as much as i did yesterday, i think more so. The last piece wasnt really a study but just mucking around with what ive learnt a bit, and stuff, gotta have SOME fun...
    Anyway.....tomorro i am going to be doing some oil paintings, so that should be fun, and yeah gunna keep up the standard work on digital also ..My new goal, and this might seem a tad high for me, is a HUNDRED (thats right, 100) photoshop studies/pieces. Hopefully i can reach this without including homework and stuff, but i think that should count toward it..ill have to see how nice i am to myself..
    So far ill just continue to study and trial and error till i make some progress, i cant really complain tbh, i dont know the "best methods" of learning, or the best methods of anything really, but i dont give a hoot...im just going to work hard, and work some more, and do what i love and that is what i do ..watever i do...
    8/100 down - Enjoy the sunshine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 3

Howdy peoples, Just a quick update for tonight nothing special- spent most of my day (about 4-5 hours including setup) in the park doing oil paintings.. Golly i dont think i should stay out till dark, i got bitten from lots of mosquitoes :<
    But it turned out ok, next time i know what to bring to make it even more fun!

Umm so yeah, only got 1 x 45 minute piece to show today because i dont want to show my oil painting collections just yet, i want to build up my skills and then one day i will show them all at once as a nice little treat + wait till i get a better camera! [ they photograph terribly with a bad camera and lose alot of its nice colors] - but yeah, SO basically i am saying i have a good reason for my lazy single post. Please forgive :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 4

Howdy all, not much to say today, got two pieces done, they were a bit longer in duration themselves so not as many done. To add to that, i must say i worked too slowly for my liking, 2.5 hours of work took over 4 hours because of fatigue and hunger and such (i get really tired, really easily due to health issues)
    But yeah, this only proves my determination even more..i am not going to quit, even if i do 1 drawing a day and it takes me 5 hours, i have no choice but to pursue my dream!-
    Didn't quite get them to the level i wanted, but that's not a big deal, since i will be doing more work tomorrow so i can always try harder then!
    Crits always welcome, sorry i havent been around to people's sketchbooks due to it being the weekend (and easter weekend too) so i dont expect much feedback but thats cool Heres hoping!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For figure studies as someone suggested to me, Glenn Vilppu's drawing manual is great. A bit different from the standard studies and more flexible imo. Also doing even a few simple studies from life helps here and there. If your just casually trying to learn, make it all fun. Some of my studies were the funnest stuff I've done.

But either way keep cranking them out. Even if your not doing studies just drawing helps. Getting those pencil miles.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 5

Ok im back, took two days off because of easter but did some work anyways, just didnt post. umm first just some sketches i just added some basic rendering and stuff, real quick, and after that is a picture i used a new type of rendering on and im quite pleased with the technique, though its not completely going to change my overall mastery, but its certainly helping
    so i look foward to painting like that more in the future...Lastly is how i used to paint, the same principles are there, just the technique SUCKS compared to the one above it ..hopefully i dont have to do that again.
    Crits welcome, friendly smiles more than welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is very cool, I can see that your values are really improving, though the lighting on the last portrait is a bit wierd, her forehead is in shadow, but not the bottom half of her face. Just my 2c though

Thanks for visiting my SB

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook, makes me want to try harder to improve!
    Keep up the great work!

I struggle with my art studies and stuff, but I NEVER quit. *cough* just making myself clear
    Here, check my Sketchbook, drop a comment, you're always welcomed

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Dihleez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Faux takes it serious: Day 6

-> thanks for all the replies everyone, i shall reply via ur sketchbooks when i can! support means alot to me
    Aha i dont know if this counts, but i took some photos of my oils i have done so far, i do enjoy them and plan to do more of them! certainly gives meaning to my life. Good fun.. Just tried to change the contrast and get it looking as close to reality as possible.
    Hopefully some spare time tomorro to do some halloween concepts for uni, i need to pick up the pace if im going to hit my 100 pieces this month!.

Quote of the day: Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6