Sketchbook: James Thomas' Weekly Sketchbook :D - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, no art in this post -sorry but please do read ahead!

After along time of struggling, it is natural for someone to question there motives, and perhaps wonder if it all is worth it.
    No, im not quitting- not yet. And please dont say that i should just keep going, because im afraid- thats just not how it works.
    This world costs money to live in, and people need money to keep friends, relationships and ALIVE.

I guess ill get to the point.
    As u may notice, i set alot of plans, none of which perhaps reach their completion station, i would never call these failures, but they are UNNECESSARY and very stressful.
    Reaching goals is a big part of motivation, and that is what i enjoy, to know i can do the job. when i want, because i want to.

I am learning alot at another course i am doing, about being positive about life, but there's some things to me that step beyond the point of reason- and i guess this is just one of few things that is true.
    I will be commencing a new, and final plan- if successful, i will be happy, very happy in fact.
    I will continue to pursue my art goal, knowing that i have at least some discipline to continue. Call it crazy, but if i DO NOT reach my goal.
    Ill quit, not permanently. but ill take a long holiday, maybe a change of career, focus on 3D or something. Hell, maybe ill just sit and play games for a month until i am serious about this.

Its alot of pressure i know, but i feel this pressure each day with or without such threats being made, because lets face it- if ur not good enough in the industry, you wont get anything.
    if u have nothing, u get nothing, and people want nothing to do with someone who does NOTHING. Cruel but true.
    Thankfully i do have a loving girlfriend who loves me for who i am, but i need to love myself a little bit more too, otherwise the negative thoughts will seep out onto others.
    This is not to say i am not happy with life, because i am. i love being me most of the time, and i just want to make a better ME so i can make others happy, including myself.
    and show the world that mr James Thomas actually means business.

..And loves his art ..(and girlfriends..kittens..wow thats a short list!) haha!

Hopefully ill see u all on the other Side, I will try to post here regularly for those who are interested in seeing me complete this goal. im not going to promise each day, but i will try my best.
    The main goal is what counts.

I guess i should write what it is.
    It is a 5 week (potentially 6) week period between now and university, to make sure i cover all the basics that i will need, and build an all rounded portfolio.
    This allows my portfolio to have some backbone to it, so that i may specialize during the year into the more desires topics.
    I will be completing 5-6 main topics to do with conceptual art, and the games/movie industry. at the end of each 3-4 day segment, i will be self assessing and re-evaluating my skills, and continue to learn from there.
    as i move from topic to topic, i may or may not revisit the other skill sets, though given the close proximity of study, i doubt i will forget any,
    and a lot of topics will actually mix-and mash together (such as creature design, and environmental Design).

I WILL be accepting ALL advice from anyone, big or small about great tutorials, links, brushes, advice, well wishing, anything. Hell, id even take a friend.

Thanks to all who have given me support this far, but now i journey the dark, rocky road to heaven. at least, my heaven.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 1 - Starting to have a basic look at male and female anatomy. alot of this was more thinking and not drawing nice pictures or accurate studies.
    was approx my 3 hours i am aiming for, but i dont think it was a dedicated 3 hours because its a topic i really struggle with so my attention span was fairly low. My goal with this is to just memorize anatomy and actually remember with my brain and not my hand. (understanding rather than repetition or heavy ref).

After a few days of basics and stuff i hope to design a male and female character from reference study, but also use my knowledge that ive learn and make sure i actually understand the anatomy involved and not just what looks right from the outside.
    The character designs i want finished in a week!

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great that you're trying to start memorizing/understanding anatomy, as it is an in depth topic and very valuable to you. However, I think it's best if you step back and study perspective first or at least throw that in along with you anatomy studies, since your understanding there needs to be addressed first. Perspective will change the way you think about drawing forms, making it to where you won't just be worried about outlines or contours but rather the construction of a figure/building/plane/etc. Check out Michael Hampton's book Figure Drawing : Design and Invention. It's great at breaking the figure into manageable forms and a great, simplified way of jumping into anatomy at the same time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 2 - a little more male anatomy experimentation, trying to remember the "8 heads" rule. by using it on humanoid types i can have fun practicing whilst memorizing the rule.
    Tomorrow i hope to go into the perspective planes that was recommended above. will also be moving into basic head shapes and 3D space with the human figure.
    These will also be applied to humanoids to make it a little more fun.

The day after, i hope a closer in-depth study of anatomy. small details, such as facial features, small muscular groups, the breasts etc. .

Hopefully by this point i should have some basic knowledge (not that i have none) but enough to start making decent concepts for a final product by day 7.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 3 - Took a day off yesterday and couldnt do much today because i am really sick and yeah..i even had to go to class today sick . Originally i said i wouldnt skip a day, but i think illness is a fair call for an artist break, no point in doing art when your so sick your not really learning anything.
    I didnt do much today too, but i thought it was a fair effort given my illness. - im hoping to make up for it tomorrow. but i wont give up on this 6 weeks, i cant possibly give up on it!!
    need support and some gentle advice thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies mate!! Diggin into it

Deviant Art - www.ltken84.deviantart.com
    Portfolio - www.kenlim84.daportfolio.com
    Blog - http://amazingbeggars.wordpress.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lt_ken84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 4 - had enough of dumb studies, gunna do some more refined work that i can actually build a character design upon, and yes i have learnt some things, but i will move on and come back regularly to human anatomy, i think it will always be my weakest point. also did some normal work, i needed to just relax and have some fun for once, so i drew and enormous man eating moth/fly thing haha.
    Enjoy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 5- a long day, id say more hours than the other days for sure, just doing some decently accurate anatomy (80% from mind). 20% ref.
    Shame it got covered by all the clothes. mind you this is a work in progress, i don't even know if ill go with this design at all..its a futuristic private investigator, but hes more like the muscle of the job, hence the french beret haha.
    he carried a whole bunch of stuff with him to bash vandals and takes the law into his own hands.

Really need to do some quicker designs and expand what i actually want from this guy. I kinda like the brute beret look, as for the women, she is going to be basically an undercover robotic prostitute. which she teams up with him and he..hurts them haha!.

Enjoy

ps. i need to study alot more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 6 - late post, internet didn't work yesterday, this was a 1 hour speed paint challenge from Anthony jones =] im not sure if its up on his Imgur site.
    http://imgur.com/a/Ke3di#0

--- but i sure hope so these are amazing inspiration for anyone, all done in 1 hour or less i believe
    Enjoy.

Todays post coming soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo, I love Anthony Jones so I'll have to give this a look see. I'm still waiting to see some of those hardcore perspective/form studies from you, A Faux. When you gonna make me happy and do some?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 7 - took yesterday off due to illness (whats with me being sick, right?).
    I still am, but managed to do several hours today (id say 5). i plan to STEP IT UP this week for sure!
    Slowly working at my hours and my quality, i really want to become a great artist someday..and the only way is to push push push through the battlelines of doom..of mordor!.

Enjoy More to come this week....yew!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 8 - doing good so far, yes ive missed two days, but ive realised that can actually make me do even more work by giving myself a break when im sick and really fatigued!
    also i wont be taking a day off this week, so that will be really good of me overall my aim is 6 days a week minimum (7 a week if i can handle it). for 6-7 weeks.
    once that goal is achieved, i will see to even greater things perhaps a set minimal hours, or topics even moreso.

Since i have been pushed back scheduled, i will be finishing character designs probably by FRIDAY. which should be DAY 11. so, 4 days behind. but humans are probably my weakest topic, not only skill wise, but my imagination doesn't find humans interesting. which is why i can't wait for Creature design to be next i hope i have plenty of spare time to get some wicked designs out!
    WOO!

Enjoy - James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 9 - sadly i skipped another day (Yesterday) due to being ill AGAIN wtf right?
    But i managed to do this sketch late before bed despite the hardships, so i dont mind. keep on truckin yo!.
    Back to character design tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 10 - super busy day, only got time to 'Sketch' a creature design, i kind of like this design, i wish i could push it even farther and go into a lot more rendering detail and functionality, though it was good to do work tonight despite being so busy, keeps me on my goal..up up i go go!!

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 11- was sick again yesterday, so i managed to sketch but didnt post.
    heres todays work, just another quick piece, pretty lazy..its definitely hard to focus and just get on with bigger pieces.
    At least its practice, brush control etc..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 12- depression trying to take over, but it inspired this..BATTLE ON TO VICTORY I SAY!

other quotes in head atm "you wouldnt like me when im mad"
    and.. "GONDOR!!!"

Please stop by and give me some nice words

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you are still working. Don't let the depression take over! (I know it is harder than it sounds xD)
    Less soft-brushing and more hard brushes :V

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates! Lot of creativety!

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to n1frit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To get used to painting values, I'd suggest simple forms before you try and tackle something complex like a 1 eyed alien sitting in a dark room with a flashlight. Cubes, Cylinders, Cones, Spheres. Those are your best friends from now on. Get familiar with them and do them WELL before you move onto the aliens and flashlights. Be mrindful of your edges while doing these, as that will tell you a lot about what values to use as well. So consider this almost like homework, if I can be so bold to assign you homework... And be sure to comment on others' pages, as that's the best way to get people onto your SB to comment on your progress as well. Keep everything up!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good studies !!! keep practicing!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverkeeper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a few days off, had to re-align my priorities (was hard).
    Won't be taking any more days off and will be posting here each day! i also will be a lot more active on the forums to give my advice
    I will also be taking advice more serious from now on- so i will be definitely considering ALL of your recommendations!

Ill be posting both wips and final pieces, though on facebook i will only be posting finished work (for those who add me on fb).
    I dont really enjoy spamming my friends and family with boring grey scale works! and then i have time to take your advice and improve my art
    I repeat:
    WILL BE TAKING ALL ADVICE VERY SERIOUSLY!
    - and posting every day!

Bring on the painnnnn!!!!

- Day ONE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I admire how hard you're trying to post in your sketchbook consistently, something I've been trying to do (and failing at) for a long time. You should continue to work on your creature designs, they're pretty cool , but I'd say that right now figure and anatomy studies are your best friend. Keep up the hard work man, you're doing great!

art is never finished, only abandoned~Leonardo da Vinci

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day Two-

Sushy-> Thanks i will try using more linework and hard brushes
    n1frit -> Thanks
    MrFrenik -> agreed, i will be doing more studies and doing more basic things, until i go back to full concepts. cheers.
    Silverkeeper -> Ty
    ezekrialase-> Thanks man! yeah its really hard to keep consistant, even if i mess up a few days, i try to bring back my work ethic. But now ive promised myself not to skip a day, at least for as long as possible (FOREVER haha!)
    Ill swing by all your sketchbooks too!, Thanks for the comments

A few hours late because i fell asleep. but im trying to work my way through Human anatomy and stuff which is my weakest i believe. Today is going to be just that and only that
    So ill try working it out!!

For now, these are some cartooned stuff to kinda get me **Thinking** about the human face and what it can be pushed to.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day three -

Today i went to study loomis and i hit a dead end with the whole trying to figure out how to divide a ball up into Equal parts, i finally got the hang of it, so now i can make some more accurate heads in rotational and 3D space.
    I also did a fun portrait, messing with layers etc - so overall not a complete waste of time tonight.
    But tomorrow i will go back to hitting the basics with lots of loomis..essentially i want to spend a long time on it 2morro.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day four -

didnt do much today, felt sick and school. lazy, i paddle on!.. ;<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to avoid the muddy look use hard brushes at 100%, for the face you did recently i would use a base colour then on top of that do details with a hard brush, it adds volume,
    its worth experimenting with.
    keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First update 24/2/13 Enjoy!
    Welcome to my sketchbook! I will be posting each week (sometimes in-between) of all the projects, concepts, sketches and FUN!
    First, about myself- I am 22, studying my last year in a BA of Game Design at university, in my spare time i play games, make games, and draw
    Art has been something I've wanted and have been perusing all my life, and I take it very serious and each day i am trying to improve myself.

Initially i wanted to start a new sketchbook, make a new alias- but I've decided i want to build on top of who i already am, i'm not totally ashamed of who i was once, and perhaps who i will become still.
    But i am going to aim to be a better be, the best me!
    So i declare from Feb 17, 2013 that i will be trying my hardest as an artist, a man, and a dreamer to become the best i can be in what ever i set my mind to.
    I will forgive myself for any wrong doings in the past, any mistakes- bad habits, flaws- because i wouldn't have the capability i do today, no, the THIRST i have today to win at life!

I hope you enjoy the new me, and my new sketchbook! (And possibly new styles!)
    There also will be game design and game Assets(3D modelling etc) in here too!

-PS, i start university back in 2 weeks, and i hope it goes well
    I had a cool self made quote to go with this:

"When i came into existence, you could already crawl, by the time i could crawl- you could stand,then you could run and jump and do amazing things- but now that i can stand too, at least i have a chance at your throat!" -James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First weekly post James Thomas

First update on the new weekly regime and im enjoying it lots!

Sorry its a day or 2 late, i had internet issues all week, but this is Days 1-7, (Sunday-Sat) 17-23rd Feb.
    No specific order to these, i should have numbered them, but if you want to give feedback, just tell me which one it is, and im sure i'll understand.
    Was a busy week, i think i almost topped 30 hours of work

Aiming to beat that this week, going to be studying hard i think, originally i was going to try to work some finals, but im not ready for that stuff!!

- Feel free to give feedback, tips, links, advice, a friendly hello or anything

NEXT UPDATE: 3rd of march Lets see how i do!
    -Thx for all those who support so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, i havent been able to post at all since the new update of concept art.org servers!
    I promise (if the servers will let me) to post weekly!! - Thats the whole point of this!

I didnt do much, because i have been divided by homework and sickness. which is never fun, ive also had a very rough 2 weeks.
    Though im willing to put that behind me and keep going

Next update will be in a week with much cooler work!

OH and i also made a basic perspective video if anyone is interested its my first tutorial so i hope it gets off the ground a bit!
    so i can make more Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9sT2RIYhA0 <- perspective video made my me

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Members who have read this thread: 6