Cleaning Ink from Brushes?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cleaning Ink from Brushes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cleaning Ink from Brushes?

Hey gang. I just bought some Pantone Tria inks with the intention of experimenting with that badass technique El Coro's been evangelizing. Anyways, in his thread he says he just uses isopropyl alcohol to dilute them, but I'm wondering what to use to clean my brushes afterwards?

If any of you have any tips on brush maintainance when painting with alcohol based inks, I'd much appreciate it. (And so will my brushes ).

Thanks,
    Forest

*edit* Just realized I misspelled my stupid topic. Must make me seem like a real genius. :o

Last edited by fukifino; March 30th, 2004 at 07:08 PM.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rinsing them with some alcohol maybe? Then using dawn or standard brush soap?

haven't used the inks before, but it's just a guess. where'd you get the ink from? I been lookin forever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply cotron. Some people in chat reccommended cleaning with turpentine and white spirits. I have some turpenoid so I might give that a shot. I suppose the worst that could happen is I'd be out one brush.

Most of the art supply stores near me carry the ink refills for the pens (which is what El Coro uses). I went to a new store this weekend that sold slightly smaller bottles in six packs. I got two sets of brights (they also had some flesh tone packs and some architectural packs.) Normally the inks are $7-8 a pop, but the slightly smaller six-packs were $30 (so $5 a bottle). Not a bad deal but I still spent $60 on inks. :/

I'm really surprised none of the art stores near you have it. You guys have Pearl out there don't ya? I'd imagine they should carry 'em.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jesus ive been looking for alcohol based inks for... ever. What did you say there pen re-fills? o ic O_o dyou know were i could get some online?

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just did a quick google search for "Pantone Tria Ink" and got a bunch of hits for online stores.

This link was one of the first that came up and it appears to do international shipping. The prices are still kind of high ($8.50 USD per bottle) but it should give you a starting point hunting some down on the web.

Hope that helps.

Oh, another link has the six-packs and an interesting tria brush pen. Ths six packs come with 28ml bottles as opposed to 40ml bottles (probably a good starter alternative...either way it's still a lot of ink). Doesn't look like they do international orders but it at least provides some info on what's available.

Last edited by fukifino; March 30th, 2004 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, fukifino! I'd just stick to alcohol. Know ye this, O Prince- Rubbing alcohol comes in two strengths- The stronger is 91%, and better for thinning and cleaning purposes. Turpenoid would work for most stuff that oil-based, but markers are dye-based. Might work, fuck if I know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive been using just straight rubbing alchohol for my brushes...seems to do the trick...i think the ink is gonna stain the brushes no matter what you clean em with, but i dont think itll effect the color the next time you use it...hasnt for me yet.

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I might just try that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i tried some edding refills today, the colours are real limited but all the primaries ar there and you can mix em easily, there quite cool... i need some good brushes though:/

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you have a seperate set of brushes for ink.

Ink destroys brushes...

-Joshua

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Erm...I probably sound like a newbie with the whole brushes thing...But i just rinse mine under a tap before they dry..o_o;;

ah inks...I need to buy some of those but the only reasnable art store in Australia near me is "Art Riot" and they sell measly little spectrum inks for $7 a bottle DX!!!
    ;___; Not to mention copic markers are $9/marker ...damn our weaker currency.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my aunt told me that hairspray will take ink off of anything. and she's right about that. but i dont know if i'd try it on brushes. but if you spill some on your clothes or carpet, hairspray is the way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after very exstensive sessions watching coro do his thing, he says to just use soap, youl get away with it fine... and use a synthetic bursh.

watching hims is fuckin amazing O_O

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just soap eh? Hmm...welp, I bought a synthetic brush to use (I think I remember him mentioning it...or maybe I read somewhere synthetic was better for this). Man, I wish I coulda been there to see that. I really hope he can make it to the US workshop.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.