Thanks

Question about of concept art jobs

Like how many people actually need concept artists these days and will there even be a possible future for concept artists to make a career? I've been researching on how many jobs there are for concept artists. I got some mix answers. Some say they are very few and hard to find; like not even some of the best can find jobs and some studios don't even use concept artist. Others say there is still enough to go around, depending on where you look.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Very few people make a living do only concept art. Most work as production artists, illustrators, designers and whatever else they can do as well as concept art. Now I know a lot of people call everything they do concept art but that isn't really true. So my advice is become a great artist and you will work doing art for a living whatever form that takes;forget about trying to be some specialized thing.

Thanks
    well all of my friends,parents say that i am naive if i think that art is going to give me pension,,, well lets show this as an example, i live in a country where everything is on a noob level, they add those fucked up,pimpd fonts like in MS Office, those 3D stuff everywhere,,

i could totally own everyone in my county and get a pension and a job, but my whole county is corupted, conections are more important that 5 college degrees

i mean this is a new comercial for a upcoming package of new internet speed, and btw that internet provided is the best in my county, just look at this crap http://hs-hkb.ba/images/smilies/najava.jpg
    Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Dpaint, I thought specializing is more important than being a jack-of-all trades. Anyways maybe I will start in a field that is more broad like graphic design.

Ban Kai, wow what country are you from?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackman111 View Post
    Dpaint, I thought specializing is more important than being a jack-of-all trades. Anyways maybe I will start in a field that is more broad like graphic design.

There are core principles that will apply to all of the jobs an artist does in the entertainment industry. You can spend a lifetime learning those principles if you want to.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Jackman111;3016931]Dpaint, I thought specializing is more important than being a jack-of-all trades. Anyways maybe I will start in a field that is more broad like graphic design.QUOTE]

Lets dispell this notion right now. Being a good artist is not specialization. When Iain MCaig went to work for LucasArts games and films he was an illustrator. He did book illustration and albulm covers, thats it. What he did then, he does now, which is draw better than god. He didn't have to learn to be a concept artist or a storyboard artist or a comic book artist he could do all those things expertly the first time he tried them because he can really draw and paint well.

If you are good at drawing and painting representationally you can limit your abilities to fit the requirements of any task. Only mediocre artists struggle to do more than one type of thing. Unfortunately many people get hired nowadays without the proper skillset of a fully trained artist and so can't do more than what they were taught to do. This creates texture artists and other narrow focused tasks within the industries. Companies love it cause they can now pay crap wages to people who will thank them for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dpaint, so a good artist has to be able to do anything.

Liffey, core principles that takes a lifetime?

but back to my original question. I will change it a bit. is there a future for video game artists(any sort from 2d to 3d)? or will the future be too rough to be worth making a career out of it?

Thanks
    Dpaint, so a good artist has to be able to do anything.

Liffey, core principles that takes a lifetime?

but back to my original question. I will change it a bit. is there a future for video game artists(any sort from 2d to 3d)? or will the future be too rough to be worth making a career out of it?
    The game industry is growing at about ten percent a year and the entertainment industry is huge so yeah learn to draw and paint really well, with really fast turn around times and there will be a job for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Long story short...how many artists did Avatar employ? How many musicians? Dancers? Poets? Mimes?

Halo? How many artists? How many musicians? How many writers? How many insurance agents?

Artists design everything that goes through any complex manufacturing process in today's world - from cars to buildings to airplanes to trains to bulldozers to rocketships to coffee makers. And if they aren't designing it they're advertising it or making a movie about it.

You do the math.
    Last edited by JeffX99; February 8th, 2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added more
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    jeffx99 I hear most company hire about 10-20 3d artist and animators, and at most 1-3 2d artists.

so umm as long as I can do my stuff good enough, I should not have much of a problem?

dpaint, ten percent? that sounds higher than I expected, I thought they were shrinking due to the bad economy

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Well, it just all depends...kind of missed my point...but look into industrial design as well - that is mainly concept art.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    I've mentioned this before to someone else that only dedicated concept artists that are hired are the ones that are the best of the best in their field and only big budget developers can afford to hire them.

As a Junior artist, being a Jack of all trades is more important. Nobody's really going to expect absolutely fantastic art from you.

So you should learn:
    - 2D animation
    -2D painting (for Backgrounds, illustration, concept work, marketing artwork, etc)
    -Graphic design,
    -Hud design,
    -Asset design (Vehicles, characters, props)
    -3D low polygon modelling (preferably in 3DS max)
    -texturing,
    -rigging and skinning, lighting etc.
    As you work in a company you will get better.

Also having a knowledge in Cinematography helps because then you can make high poly model assets for cut scenes, as well as the storyboarding, which comes back to a knowledge of Composition and film techniques.

The more stuff you have under your belt the better.

And learning new stuff is half the fun =)

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks

i am from lame Bosnia xD
    Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Yeah. I agree with answers so far. In most of the cases you couldn't really survive in regular game company without being Jack-of-all-trades. I experience it every day . All those different tasks you would do have one thing in common though. They require decent design skills which come from just drawing stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Okay, thanks for all your help