Thanks

Any techies want to give me their opinion on this laptop?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157502

My home desktop PC finally died out on me. This is the best I can afford. I don't have any experience with laptops. Can this run Photoshop pretty well? I'm just looking to use this guy as a workstation-on-the-go rig for school and the art projects. Do you think it will qualify?

If you guys have any other recommendations for laptops in that price range I'm all ears!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you could hold out on purchasing a laptop you should wait fro when the new Intel cpus become wide spread and then prices will go down. But if you can't this is decent enough tho you may wan to add some more ram. I have no idea the colour quality of the screen but it's most probably a TN panel and not fit for colour work.

Try checking out eBay for better laptops that have been used. The prices drop quite dramatically and you'd be able to afford a more decent setup for the same price margin.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Cost efficiency is decent when comparing raw power to cost but I think your future-proof-ability is going to let you down. Maybe good to use until you get your next desktop but I doubt you're going to hang onto this for too long. I think 4 Gigs of DDR3 at a 1100 MHz is the standard Memory for laptops nowadays. Personally I wouldn't settle for anything less than an i7 at this point.

In terms of price range I'm not too sure how much better you can do, but I'd suggest wait until you have at least a grand saved up for laptops, two grand for a desktop.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    I'll start off by posting the system requirements for photoshop CS5: http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...op/systemreqs/

Of course if you use an older version of photoshop, the system requirements will be reduced.

Step by step:

Quote Originally Posted by Sys Reqs
    Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
    A single core P4 or A64 will do, so anything dual core or better will do, so long as they're not bargain label (Celeron or Turion) or high-mobility (Atom) and as close to or above 2GHz as possible. The machine you picked is an i3 (dual core) at 2.4GHz, which is good.

1GB of RAM
    Pretty much anything you purchase new today will have this. I'd stick in the DDR3 range. The machine you picked has 2GB DDR3, good.

1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
    Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
    Here's where things can get dicey with on-board/integrated. The laptop you chose has Intel integrated graphics. Intel has notoriously bad driver support, which can degrade performance drastically. Though Photoshop is mostly CPU intensive; if you're on a budget, safe is much better than sorry.

Here's what I suggest (albeit about $50 more expensive):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115953

Dual Core @ 2.2GHz
    2GB of DDR3
    Integrated Radeon HD 4250

The video card is still integrated, but AMD is one of the big two video card manufacturers (Nvidia being the other), so driver support will be vastly improved. Here's the nitty gritty on the video card if you're interested:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Rad...0.29664.0.html

The only downside to this laptop I can foresee is the fact that AMD has a higher thermal footprint, so it will run a little hotter than an Intel machine. Keeping it ventilated will keep things going smooth.

Good luck with your shopping!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Xerophun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would definitely try to get more ram. 2 gigs is not really enough these days, especially running Windows 7 and Photoshop.

Thanks
    Ugh even 4 Gigs of RAM isn't enough for me And I"m only running Photoshop CS4 with OpenGL turned off.. I don't do any 3d. It's just that any time you get into a large file size and you're screwed! So even trying to make a poster or scan something is really hard.

Thanks
    Well its better than the £500 laptop I have now which I use photoshop on - mine runs fine albeit slight lag/freezing on occasion. Actually, its pretty awful on large scale canvases unless you're on 100% zoom.

No idea how urgently you need this, but if you have some leyway I'd advice you wait until you have more money and splurge it on a swanky desktop - I started saving for a high end computer set up about 6 months after getting this, so I'd say laptops for a long term investment are a no-no.
    Laptops are 'in' right now so usually you'll end up paying more for the same stats simply because 'its cooler than a desktop'.

At least computers are mod-able

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    Hmm, i wouldnt get this computer.

You can get 4 gigs of ram for this price at staples or bestbuy.

But honestly, if your budget is that tight, go for the AMD process, they tend to be cheaper in price, and also come with better video cards (which you will want). You can get an AMD Vision Premium for around the same cost as the 13s (sometimes cheaper)...