Sketchbook: Sketchbook - Valliant Creations (aka getting off my @ss)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Busan, South Korea (currently) Albuquerque, NM (hometown)
    Thanks

Sketchbook - Valliant Creations (aka getting off my @ss)

Quick intro:
    I'm Kat, 27 as of Jan 2011. I got a degree in Sequential Art from SCAD, and promptly quit doing any art for... oh, two or three years after graduation (2005). For the past five years I've been a call center drone, a graphic designer (twice - neither time paid well), a substitute teacher and an English teacher in Busan, South Korea (where I currently am, now), and a comic book colorist.

Of all of those jobs, the ones that paid the best were the least fun, and vice versa.
    I'd like to change that.

So this sketch thread is serving several purposes for me:

a) to whip me back into shape, artistically (you have no idea how sad it is to try to draw something that used to be easy and realize you don't remember how to draw anymore). As of now, my best days (artistically) were all in university (an education which I will probably still be paying off when I die.) That's just sad.

b) to keep myself accountable - and you can, too! If you see I haven't updated in several days, you can kick my ass. In fact, please do.

c) to become an artist that can kick some ass, instead of one that can make something kind of pretty after hours and hours of work. Practice, practice, practice, as well as re-learning what I once knew and learning new things.

d) ultimately, to have the all-over work-ethic and ability that will land me a job doing something fun and challenging, hopefully in a game/movie studio or publishing house.

Without further ado, what I have so far - this was basically my sketchbook in Sept/Oct - after that, I did NaNoWriMo and took on an extra job, and I'm only now recovering enough to work on art again.

The story up to now (MASSIVE IMAGE DUMP):
    pardon the low quality - I don't have a digital camera anymore *sniffle*, only a webcam.

Attached Images Attached Images                                                          
    Last edited by kvalliant; February 7th, 2011 at 03:37 AM.
    "Make them laugh. They'll have difficulty shooting you."

My Sketchbook

See more of my artwork at my website, Valliant Creations and my Deviant Art gallery (devart is updated more often than my homepage).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

2011/02/07 WIP

Working on this for a friend who's father passed away last week

My Sketchbook

See more of my artwork at my website, Valliant Creations and my Deviant Art gallery (devart is updated more often than my homepage).

Thanks

2011/02/08 "Passing" WIP

Adding color - working with some awesome guys over in the CGTalk forums (2D WIP thread), who are giving me some great input.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    nice work :p i like your values

Thanks
    I'm interested to see how that last piece will turn out, as of now I like the value sketch more personally, but it's great you're coming back to your passions.

keep pushing yourself!

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks

2011/02/09 "Passing" WIP

Think it's getting a bit too contrasty for me. I'll tone it down a bit tomorrow.
    @ cake89 - Thanks!
    @ Dope Fiend, I also really liked the balance I got in the values drawing. I'm having a tough time maintaining values as I add color (I reeeeeeeally like color, so I tend to oversaturate, then have to work to bring it down again.)

I'm hoping that by the time I have it finished I'll have recaptured the feeling of the values version.

I have a hard time because I always want to start making it pretty ASAP - You can see how detailed I got the cloaked figure and statue before I got some feedback and started recomping.

I need to stop doing this to myself. Grr.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    This is looking great so far - some of your anatomy studies look really good and the final piece you posted is making great progress. I especially like the texture on the head of the statue. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    im liking the last piece, i would experiment with cropping it. drop the rule of thirds grid on that bad boy and crop down. dont listen to this if you plan on adding more to the top that adds to the illustration.

Thanks
    Nice fruits. And characters, though some of them are a bit stiff, just keep posting!

Thanks

2011/02/010"Passing" WIP

@General F. - yeah, the stiffness is something I'm working on, definitely. I think I need a whole lot of figure drawing to remedy.

@anabanana, thanks! I'll keep chugging along.

@crookedhorn, yeah, I'm messing around a lot with the cropping (with the help of the guys over at CGTalks -

Close-crop (edited for me by Creeto), and a wider version (edited by stuh505) where I brought in a side window, since I wanted to evoke the idea of a church - with natural shading and lighting replacing the colored glass. Finally, there's my current iteration.

I'm considering breaking the piece down - do one version that's flat out bg design, based on the larger crop - do a full-on render of the background. Then do another render, much closer, of the cloaked figure mourning (based on the closer crop).

My Sketchbook

Thanks

2011/02/11 "Passing" WIP

Update - will be fixing the branches of the trees & adding stronger lighting on the figure+statue later. Now, I will sleep, and try to not be sick anymore.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    very nice digital work.. and studies.. by the way if u r posting black and white (pencil) sketchs u can edit it on photoshop to take the colors out of it.. i mean it seems u took these with ur cell phone or a camera.. not scanned.. if that so.. u can change it to grayscale so the colors wont be a factor in it..

other then that.. great work.. being a graphic designer my self.. i always love to see a graphic designer with a passion for art ..

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    @Rainwalker - Thanks! And basically, all I have is a web cam, which is even more pathetic than a camera phone. The reason I've left the color is because when I de-saturate the images they lose a lot of value - believe me, I tried tinkering with the levels and whatnot, and the images look better in color.

Update on "Passing" WIP (can't decide on which layout I like better...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hi, I've got really interested on your work! Excellent values study! Keep up the good work, I hope I can see more pieces from your imagination around.

Thanks
    Nice studies here, especially those grayscale studies of fruits. Now try doing them in color.

Thanks
    Hi Kat, great work especially with your painted pieces. The WIP has really nice development and the changes with composition made it look as if the statute was floating around. Really cool.

Keep up the good work, oh and if you do post more works on paper try to get better photos or a scanner

from -Kat >^.^<

Thanks
    @gustavofoletto - thanks! I'll keep working. =D

@Emil_ - noooooooooooooooooooooo! Color is haaaaard. *whine* But yes, that's the next step. After I finish my current painting it's back to the grindstone with my studies.

@Kat - hi, Kat! I'm Kat, too. ;D Though I also go by KK, so that might be easier... And I'm currently living in South Korea, with plans to be back in the U.S. in April - it's not really worth investing in a scanner when I'll be back home soon, where I already have a scanner. I may buy a new camera, but then I need to worry about packing it up to go back to the states (I plan on getting one that's nicer than a point and shoot, this time). So again, it might wait until I'm back stateside. :/

My Sketchbook

Thanks

2011/02/13 "Passing" WIP

Didn't do much except fiddle with the color - I've been sick the last couple of days. More sick than usual, anyway. :/

My Sketchbook

Thanks

2011/02/14 "Passing" WIP

Fiddling around with size/adding more 'windows'.:

My Sketchbook

Thanks

2011/02/25 Update (aka wtf)

I have been working - specifically working through Riven Phoenix's "The Structure of Man" videos. Also been fighting off one hellatious cold.

My Sketchbook

Thanks

Quickie update

Crazy happenings. Quickie study - dusk/city

My Sketchbook

Thanks

Update - overdue

I have a lot of new life drawing stuff that is at present in my parents' living room in Albuquerque. I'm in Seattle. It'll be a bit before I can upload it. Will be finishing "Passing" soon.
    But for now, here's a creature design. I'm calling it a "Hawse".

Now, the studies for it. As you can see, I went a bit larger with my creature than originally intended.

Creature Info:
    "Hawse" (beast of burden). These were originally mountain-dwelling creatures that have since been bred for plains travel. The larger breeds, unfortunately, are also ill-tempered and difficult to master - but very loyal once loyalty is earned. Ideal military mounts, and considered status symbols due to the amount of training they require.

My Sketchbook

Thanks

9/16 Update (at last~)

Havent updated in a while, but only because I haven't had a scanner and/or was lazy. I've been drawing nearly every day in some form or another. ;D

I'm doing a series of faces (later I'll do bodies/rotations), aiming to do one a day. Here is the first:

Also, here's some of the life drawing I've been doing (I have so much of this that I haven't scanned that it's ridiculous:

Still uploading stuff, and doing more life drawings every week. Also doing some freelance concept work for an indie company. And since my last update I've moved to/lived in three cities (Seattle, Santa Clara [SF Bay area], and Albuquerque). I'm a busy girl.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Excellents drawings, studies and designs

Worth trying more colour studies, I think they'd help your colour work!

Thanks
    Keep doing what you doing! looking good

Thanks
    Nice to see a fellow "stuck teaching English abroad when I would rather be doing art" in the same boat! Post some more!

Thanks
    ^^ this might help you

Quote Originally Posted by matt kohr View Post
    If you haven't been to the site yet, you should totally check it out!

www.ctrlpaint.com

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ack, for some reason I'm not getting updates on responses in my sketchbook. Regardless - thanks for all of the wonderful feedback.

@AlexTooth, I agree - I need to do a lot more work in color.
    @kidult - will do - thanks for your encouragement.
    @Amarok - I took the time while I was teaching abroad to do a lot of practicing; my drawing skills were pathetically rusty. That's how I made it through (I'm back - returned to the States in May).
    @andres333 - thanks for the link. That is an awesome website and I shall be using it! =D

My Sketchbook

Thanks

Update 9/17

Quick update - went to a Dr. Sketchy's in San Francisco, but haven't had a chance to scan in/photograph my work from it. This is recent stuff (from a 'good' art day):

This is quite a bit less recent (from when I was in uni - but only recently recovered and scanned) and took me 3 hours (live model):

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    You're making great progress, I really like the latest piece you've shown, I have a real difficulty with perspectives.
    Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.