Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Oh don't worry, there's no art depression infection here.
    I have just been on the road visiting friends and family and attending various graduating partys. Been sketching but can't upload anything untill I'm reunited with my scanner. in the meantime it seems that you have been ROCKING! those anatomy studies look great, love them bones. Keep up the good work!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm back! And now I shall throw a hailstorm of stuff I scribbled during my travels.

Thanks
    Your animal sketches are really nice.
    you seem to have that "Draw everything"-mentality I am trying to achieve XD

Thanks
    Sushy: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my stuff. If I were you I wouldn't worry about achieving "Draw everything"-mentality. Looking at your sketchbook I can see your already there.
    Impressive ammounts of study. I have to say I adore your ballpoint sketches.
    Keep up the awesomeness.

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I really like your animal studies, most particularly the dinosaur studies in #108 (I have always loved dinosaurs). Were they drawn from photographs or from life? The reason I ask is that I have trouble drawing organisms, whether human or beast, that just won't stand still.
    Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Brandon:

*Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

Pleasure was all mine. As I said, very interesting stuff.

*I really like your animal studies, most particularly the dinosaur studies in *#108 (I have always loved dinosaurs). Were they drawn from photographs *or from life?

All of the detailed modern animals studies you see in my sketchbook are from photos or screen caps from nature documentaries. There's one exception and it's this one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1299426248

The quick gestures were drawn while I was watching documentary about mongooses.

All creatures extinct and imaginary are from imagination.

*The reason I ask is that I have trouble drawing organisms,
    *whether human or beast, that just won't stand still.

I know exactly what you mean. However there is a method which you can use to improve on these things. Try drawing timed (30-60 sec) gesture drawings. It will force you to simplify forms and to be more economic with the lines which ofcourse helps you to be quicker with your sketches.

Thanks
    I love those chimp experiments and the look of the skin on the nudes. Your gouache sketches look inspiring too, the colors look very controlled but still there's some nice vivid wet effects there. Gotta love the hazy edges on the purple tree! Also impressed by your hatching as always. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Smuli: Thanks! Though most of those nice wet effects you see are just happy accidents.
    I really like painting with gouaches but I need some serious practice with brush control. AND I need some better paper because the paper on my sketchbook suuuuucks.

Not a very good day today. Didn't feel like drawing but I forced myself to draw anyway. Did some quick gestures at first and then moved on to armor studies. Lost my patience...never a good thing. :/
    blegh....

Thanks
    I started a pic with gouache today to try them out. By the way, a paper I've been using for aquarelles that's good and cheap is the blocks you get from Clas Ohlson with an apple in the cover. I like its surface texture and the fact that colors don't lift a lot when they've dried. I actually like it more than papers I've bought from art shops.

The shaded helm looks great but the figure sketches, like earlier ones, look pretty contour focused rather than form focused. You seem to treat the human as a single chunk of form rather than dividing it in head, torso, pelvis and limbs. There's some slight problems with construction and proportions that I think thinking those as separate connected forms and drawing more construction lines would help you out with. In my opinion Bridgman's books are the best resource for constructing the figure (Complete Guide to Drawing from Life has them all combined).

/end advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts

Thanks
    Smuli: I saw the gouache studies you made. epic WIN! More please!

Regarding the paper choise...I hear ya. My preferred sketching paper is still the cheap standard A4 printing paper.

Most of the human figure sketches are just simply quick 30-60 sec timed gestures. I'm not quick enough to draw construction lines so they end up
    Countour head. Need to get back to studying structure.I love Bridgman but I'm often worried by the fact that hes stuff is so stylized.

Parsakoira: I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! But seriously awesome to get such positive feedback from CA veteran such as you. Got the boost I so desperately needed. Thanks!

Well peeps, I'm away again, which in turn means no scanner and no updates.
    Therefore I bring you a WIP so old (all the way back from ancient times of January 2011) that I had forgotten it even existed.
    Gotta finish it when I have time for it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ville_S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow this dino painting looks very good! Great details and colors! Hope you get it finished soon I also love the outdoor paintings you posted while back. Hope you come back soon with a bunch of stuff!

Thanks
    Satupeikko: Thanks! I'll try my best to finish it one day.

So I was working on more important stuff today (stuff I get paid for) and was failing terribly. Needed a break/distraction from all the fail and so I did this speedpaint. I shall call him Garlukh the brave.

Thanks
    Yay I'm back from my travels...again. Here's a grand big dump of randomness.

Thanks
    Hi...went over the last three pages (2 - 4). It's inspiring to see another artist in the trenches banging out a lot of studies...animal...master studies...human ref...landscapes...along with the original schtuff! Digging your animal studies especially.

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast