Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Heh, yeah, people often have trouble with one sex or the other - I have most of my trouble with men. Do consider giving them a try, you can't get better if you don't push your boundaries after all. I found that doing all those gestures really helped me get to a competent level with the female form - they were fast and I learned surprisingly quickly from them as well.

As for subtle rendering, I'm not sure I can be much help but I'll advise what I can. Assuming you work from reference here - do you unfocus your eyes when looking at the subject? It makes the colours much clearer, without being hampered by small lines or details. I also found a trick where if I cut a square out of a bit of paper and held it up to various parts, seeing the colour isolated in the paper really helped me "figure out" what colour it actually was (at least, compared to white ) because in the context of the other colours it was confusing. I'd find out that the colour was actually lighter or darker than I thought, and that helped me nail it down. Though, if you're doing pencil work that would probably be more effective for black/white references - maybe try working from desaturated photos before you try working from colour? I've seen that advice here before.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mad shit bro, with all this drawing i wonder what other areas of life are being compensated for!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    angie101 - i should have rephrazed, i sorta meant realistic lips. i can draw them cartoony to an extent... yeah true, women need to be curvy, just gotta be careful of the lines im putting down. thanks for your post

Umbravita - yeah man. those damn women :p i tried drawing some today. yeah gestures is great to loosen up and stuff. im glad its working well for ya. yeah ive been working from reference, i never unfocus my eyes, but now im going to try doing that =) thanks mate. ive also heard of the cut out thing too, i used to do that sometimes with figure drawing. yeah i shoud try something more desaturated......good advice man cheers!

providenc - lol haha, yeah it suffers

Thanks
    Some really lovely work in here, keep it up! ^_^

8. The Following User Says Thank You to saltfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These are some tremendously fun shapes. You get a lot of motion out of your forms. Are you familiar with Claire Wendling? She is doing simmilar stuff with her shapes, and is a real master at capturing weight. I bet you would be a big fan.
    For Science- Sketchbook!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ForScience For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very fluid and interesting lines. Cool stuff.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great lifework on this last bunch, you cleary know your weaknesses and i'd suggest doing some focused studies, it will help your figures so much more

otherwise, keep working, i'm drawing on an almost daily basis, or doing something else art related, and my life suffers as well..

its all a sacrifice though right?
    ...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dope Fiend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great sketches of the ladies! I hope you do more. I love the one with the long hair and fringe, peering from underneath it - my only crit with her is that her breasts look rather unnatural. Also, be careful of the hips and which direction they point as well.

The one underneath her is stunning and beautiful. I know I sound like a broken record by now but it's worth saying again - your drawings have such character!

Sharp lines and faces work well for stern characters (works very well with the second-to-last picture there), but with other female characters (especially younger ones) a softer, rounder approach is often optimal. Women have softer features than men.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    saltfox - thanks, i will!
    ForScience - thanks mate, i cheked out 'Claire Wendling' ....and holy shit! i love her stuff!!........ur right. now im a fan. thanks for the intel bro, helps heaps.
    Blankstate - cheers man.
    Dope Fiend - thanks bro. yeah ill definately do some more focused studies now that u mention it. .....yeah man. sacrifice. its all worth it man. that's good to know that u do art as much as u can
    Umbravita - thanks man! glad u like my ladies...they were pretty hard for me to do. thanks for the crit also, ill definately keep those things in mind wen im drawing them. thanks man always appreciate your support. you sure do know alot about art bro hopefully tomorow wen i get time, ill give you a more in depth crit.

- - busy, busy, busy...1st official day at uni. gotta learn a bit of programming. ugggh. anways, barely any time to draw today. but i managed to vomit something up. two train pages....and some environment sketches i guess . enjoy. (more train observational drawings coming soon ...since i gotta travel 1.5 hours a day on the things.)

Thanks
    Very nice line's here!
    Also loving those last environment sketches.
    Fantastic work!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wi2rd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wi2rd - thanks mate. yeah i wish to do some environments in the near future. ive never done them, so shud be exciting eyy. thx for ur post.

some train drawings, and 2 pages from uni breaks. trying to fit in work whenever i can

Thanks
    rendering attempt from imagination

Thanks
    Great progress tron! Your style is still there, but there's something more fluid about your drawings that I'm digging.

Are you a student? Think i asked you this before but i don't remember
    Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=208471&page=2

ArtBlog: http://bengraceart.blogspot.com/

"If it was easy, everyone would do it"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BGrizzMayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    You've posted a fair lot since I last checked, really loving those pictures so keep pumping them out!
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, thanks. I don't actually know that much, I'm usually at a loss for crits because of my inexperience but I'm really glad that what I say seems to help!

I was thinking the style of train seat looked familiar (I've never been on a train overseas so I can't say if they're exactly like that in other western countries) and I looked at your location and went, "Holy shit, another Aussie!" I'm a bit further north - Sydney - but it's good to see another Aussie around.

Those environmental sketches are great. You've really put detail into them, I can see that, especially those rocks. They must be such a pain to detail and render if you don't have the patience. Your rendering has really gotten better.

The pierced woman's face - *much* better. You've gotten the soft jawline down very well as well as the eyes. The lips are looking much better too!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast