What kind of site is DA? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Oh, ok sorry about that man. And I dont know any artists except the one's I know personally and one's in school books, guess I'm just ignorant

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great 4 me)
    SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
    And who are Randis and Artgem?
    Dude... with this you kinda totally killed what you said up until that point.

At least Randis' name pops up here and there around these boards.

Knowing when to keep your mouth shut is an art on its own. But, as you can see, I'm failing miserably too.

Ban_Kai: Sorry about your frustration. There's been a sticky about the difference of DA and CA in critiques: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145606

I think DA has its benefits and so does CA. I don't see any harm done in that and none is necessarily better than the other. Just different. Use the strong points. And in the rest of the time, be glad that your work gets to people with no training in art on the most basic level (that's not from my head, by the way, it was an advice that I learned in some older thread, but forgot who gave it )

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jouzinka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jouzinka:Well like I said dude, I frankly don't know, sorry if it sounds stupid but I don't. But I'm asking questions here, not trying to look smart so it's ok if I let my blissfully unaware self slip here and there right? I should look into more artists but I just don't and I'm fine with looking to google images for inspiration and sites like this for insight. So maybe I've seen their work but I've never heard or seen anything about them specifically.

I will proceed to put my foot back in my mouth now but I didn't mean to make a big stink of it.

Last edited by Medusoid; February 6th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jouzinka View Post
    Dude... with this you kinda totally killed what you said up until that point.

At least Randis' name pops up here and there around these boards.

Knowing when to keep your mouth shut is an art on its own. But, as you can see, I'm failing miserably too.
    You think someone should keep their mouth shut because they are not intimately familiar with the chatroom handles of two random artists? So they are popular amongst you and your friends. There are millions of artists in the world.

I think that perspective is pretty weird.

Also all this stuff about how professional artists use DA. Come on, Randis and Adam Hughes? Of course they do. The DA demographic is their audience. they sell to a very specific segment of the population. That doesn't mean " There is a professional artist on there so it must be a good place to do promotions". It means those guys know they need to promote to that audience and DA is a good place for that.

Just like Disney knows that McDonalds happy meals are a good place to promote films.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atreides For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't about the knowledge about every other artist out there, this is about respect to people who build the community that I am at, asking those questions.

The same way you don't come around and ask who's Jason Manley.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jie Kageshinzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    during my whole 2 years spent on DA i havent recieved a single critique ,, i only get comments like OMFG its awesome, but those people are allways the ones that i dont need comments, i dont give fuck if someone who cant draw a damn cube gives me such high praise,, that is the only thing that i hate at DA cause its really hard to get known and get serious critique..
    I don't understand this attitude. What's wrong with people giving you compliments? You should be glad anyone wants to comment on your art at all. If you really want critique then there are plenty of people that will give it, but don't be a jerk about those who just want to send a few nice words your way.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jie_Kageshinzo: Dude... he's the one who put this freaking awesome site together for all of us. I hope your not kidding and you just don't know cause that is kinda mean if your trying to be smart.

EDIT: SRY if im being stupid for the 50th time in this thread alone but I'm tired and should really be asleep right now. So for everyone's sake i'll just shut up till tomorrow.

Last edited by Medusoid; February 7th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's just a joke...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    >whoooosh>

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jouzinka: Why would it be disrespectful for me to not know these people? And they have nothing to do with me recognizing or respecting Jason Manley. This conversation looks like it could start turning ugly though so please just try to keep level heads(myself included)

SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JJacks: if it is it's still sort of disrespecting the guy

EDIT: hmmm... I should probably try to condense my comments better, sorry.

SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In general, if you see a word, phrase, or name on a message board that you're not familiar with, it's much quicker and easier to google it than ask a question and wait for a response. After all, if you're posting, then you're already on the internet.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JJacks: if it is it's still sort of disrespecting the guy

EDIT: hmmm... I should probably try to condense my comments better, sorry.
    Dunno how often you visit the forums but you'll find that such kinds of humor aren't exactly rare here, and most of the people (or those that aren't natural douches anyway) won't take any offense with it.

I mean, the whole Nibru thing wouldn't have come up as spectacularly as it did if people here were devoid of humor and fun!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jie Kageshinzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jouzinka: Why would it be disrespectful for me to not know these people? And they have nothing to do with me recognizing or respecting Jason Manley. This conversation looks like it could start turning ugly though so please just try to keep level heads(myself included)
    Because you are on the board that they help build with their efforts and time?

But that's probably just my personal code and I'm sorry for trying to impose it on you.

Elwell has a great advice, though. If you see something you're not familiar with, run it through Google. It's quicker than asking questions and waiting for replies.

Drawing group:

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jouzinka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    also Randis, i know he doesnt care about popularity,neither do i but he should be totally in the same league with Artegm( spelling) and even better,, and another example is Moonxels(MOONCHILD),, the guy is an awesome artist and he isnt really known,, dont get my wrong, i am pissed just cause there are tons of people like me that are more known than guys like him and our works suck compared to his,,

i also know a lot of awesome artists that dont even have 5 watchers ,, thats why i hate DA cause everyone can join,, and its filled with tons of crap,
    You can't expect people to just stumble upon a dA page because it's good. The people with tons of page views do a lot of networking on the site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im a member of deviantart and really i want to test a specific hypothesis.

Im gona publish it as a paper on Enclyclopedia Dramatica, 4chan and to the scientific world as a whole.

Title:The amount of pageviews in a DA submision in relation to Anime,Furry,Petting zoo people, Yaoi and Yuri.

Precedure:The piece of artwork will be posted in 26 different acounts to achieve maximum efficency and too be able to measure the results.

Each acount will house 4 submisions each containing different submisions with subject matters rangings from anime too yuri and Yaoi.The varibles chosen will be as follows:
    Anime
    Furry
    Petting Zoo People
    Yuri
    Yaoi

One acount will house non of these and will contain 4 submisions ranginf from Free Scetching too Acrylic and Plastic Paintings.
    The rest 25 will contain a combination of the given Variables with the last 5 containing all possible combinations of them.

The Expirement will take place in a period of a month,after which compilement of the results and final measures will be taken.

Expected Date of Expirement:From April 1 too April 30 if i manage to finish the submisions on time.If i dont manage to meet the deadline i will move it too Ferbuary.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Talking about the thread i have been a member of DA for almost 2 years.

I have barely managed to hit 1000 acount views.I also mostly get my daily info of the worst of DA from EnclyDramatica so dont expect me to have an informed opinion.

There are certainly a lot of great artists in DA but they are most often in the shadow of much less talented but popural artists.Snapesnogger comes to mind a popular but not that deserving artist.

Too sum it up in this picture
    PS:Can someone please tell me how to put a NSFW tag?
    Also i hope i dont offend anyone or break any rules.

“Offending people is healthy. Every time you say something that’s offensive to another person, you just force them to think.”
    — Louis C.K.

My DeviantArt Acount

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok well I just want to point out that I had no interest in finding out who these people were and I wasn't waiting on a response nor was I expecting one. If I found it to be some huge deal I would have looked it up but it just seemed to me like they were some fairly popular artists known on the internet pretty well, and I was right so I had no need to know who they were, and I meant it as a rhetorical question even if it didn't come off that way.

Secondly Jie Kageshinzo: Dude I meant no offense by what I said and I kinda knew it was a joke but I still think (and maybe you know the guy well enough to know were he stands on this, I have no clue) that we all owe him some kind of respect. But no I dont spend much time on the forums because I often don't have the answers people are looking for so I just stick to the SB section, and like I stated afterwards I was tired (and acting a bit defensively) But dude I wasn't trying to be an ass I just was hoping to make sure no one got offended.

I think I had my question answered already anyway so I would like to thank everyone who decided to take their time to offer their assistance. So again, Thank you all very much, I greatly appreciate the help.

SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jouzinka View Post

Ban_Kai: Sorry about your frustration. There's been a sticky about the difference of DA and CA in critiques: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145606

I think DA has its benefits and so does CA. I don't see any harm done in that and none is necessarily better than the other. Just different. Use the strong points. And in the rest of the time, be glad that your work gets to people with no training in art on the most basic level (that's not from my head, by the way, it was an advice that I learned in some older thread, but forgot who gave it )
    hehe i am sorry that you are sorry xD ,, i have checked that thread when i 1st registered and it was 100% truthfull, anyway i am glad that people are commenting positivly on my stuff but 80% of my stuff is anime related stuff and there are so many people who worship those stuff, when i make something like a awesome portait of a celebrity noone coments.

Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    I don't understand this attitude. What's wrong with people giving you compliments? You should be glad anyone wants to comment on your art at all. If you really want critique then there are plenty of people that will give it, but don't be a jerk about those who just want to send a few nice words your way.
    ,i dont mind so much hearing good comments, ( loved it in the beggining, i am still a bit happy when i see some messages arrived at my DA,

well lets say it this way if a 100000 none,bad artists said my work is awesome and if 1 artist someone like you said its awesome i would be more happier to see your comment that those 100000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    You can't expect people to just stumble upon a dA page because it's good. The people with tons of page views do a lot of networking on the site.
    yes exactly, i have noticed some people who dont have a single file uploaded to their DA have more tha 10.000 PV,, while some people like Randis dont have even that much.

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If 80% of your stuff is anime, then you can hardly complain - you probably "treated" and "raised" your own audience - they are anime lovers and they expect that from you. Not to mention that anime is just the cult of this generation, IMHO.

Drawing group:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1