Ever dreamed of iPadxCintiq hybrid?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ever dreamed of iPadxCintiq hybrid?

I have, many times. It's the ultimate digital artist's dream--being able to walk around with this thing on your left arm, an art pen in your right. No wires, no USB connections, just an electronic sketchbook with Painter of CS5 right there at the tip of your pen. I'm not even talking about a wireless Cintiq, it's a pressure sensitive iPad with all the abilities of a computer plus the wonders of Cintiq (with the convenient shortcut buttons on the side). Imagine you're on a picnic with your boy/girlfriend on a picturesque shore of a pond, just unsheathe "that" out of your backpack and start creating a digital masterpiece for the next 5 hours. Or if you're in a museum, just walk around sketching the stuff there, or better yet, make your copy better than the original!

If this thing is in production, I'd like to personally hug and kiss the person who started it.

On the cheek.

Oh and I'm looking for a boyfriend too at the moment actually.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh God yes, daily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe Asus EP121?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tablet PCs are nice, and pressure sensitive, but they are expensive compared to the iPad

I would love to get one though. Either or, whichever has the best sensitivity and drawing programs.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For the price of those you could make a sketchbook with pages of 300 lb coldpress watercolor paper and buy kolinski brushes to work with. But of course you'd have to be able to draw and paint old school.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    For the price of those you could make a sketchbook with pages of 300 lb coldpress watercolor paper and buy kolinski brushes to work with. But of course you'd have to be able to draw and paint old school.
    QFT!!

And anyways the Ipad....is seriously no leg pulling here...a piece of shit...

A tablet PC is the only way to go for a digital sketchbook and the ASUS EP121 is a God send.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah... like I'll get it outside to drop it/lose it/brake it/have it stolen... I don't go out with more than 30 euros and a phone in my pockets, I've been attacked 3 times already (2 as a teenager on the way home from school, and one last year that I managed to escape). Not to mention that people in a big city like Paris are batshit crazy. Go sit on a bench and in under five minutes some bum will sit next to you and ask you for a cigarette. You won't see me walking around with something that will probably cost 5000 USD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting to see you do that in a museum

Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    QFT!!

A tablet PC is the only way to go for a digital sketchbook and the ASUS EP121 is a God send.
    That Asus Slate is quite something. But I haven't found any info about pressure sensitivity. It would be nice if it matched an Intuos 3 at least. If not then I'd just have to plug my Wacom into it, and that wouldn't be any different from a regular laptop.

Haven't had any experience with the iPad, I was just referring to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    Hah... like I'll get it outside to drop it/lose it/brake it/have it stolen... I don't go out with more than 30 euros and a phone in my pockets, I've been attacked 3 times already (2 as a teenager on the way home from school, and one last year that I managed to escape). Not to mention that people in a big city like Paris are batshit crazy. Go sit on a bench and in under five minutes some bum will sit next to you and ask you for a cigarette. You won't see me walking around with something that will probably cost 5000 USD.
    yeah, you're right about that one. Though Texas is pretty much okay on safety, it wouldn't be a good idea to carry $5000 PC around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    QFT!!

This is why I'm waiting. I feel like the iPad will either improve and figure out pressure sensitivity, or a competitor will do it. Once one comes along that seems ok, I'll get it. Not to replace my desktop or be a sole art machine, but for traveling and on-the-go sketching of ideas, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found a review of the Asus Slate: http://ilyanazarov.blogspot.com/. Not quite what I want though. If you could upgrade its memory and graphics card, maybe. Also it's too small for serious work, although it's great for sketches.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Téa_Passer View Post
    interesting to see you do that in a museum
    I do it all the time in museums here in DC, why would you think thats a problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've had no experience with tablet PC's and Cintiq's at all, i'm still banging away on my ol' trusty Intuos2 but that Asus Slate looks pretty cool! I could definitely see myself using one of those things when out sketching or even at my desktop.

Also i remember having a chat with Rich Doble about Tablet PC's and he preferred them over Cintiq's. If a guy that talented says something like that there must be something in it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Has anyone ever had the chance to use one of these?

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

There's a MacBook pro version coming out soon. I'm surprised Mac isn't just making these already instead of the 3rd party guys.

Skechbook
    Website

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, thanks, even the price isn't that bad.

I do it all the time in museums here in DC, why would you think thats a problem?
    mind to share? have a thread? like how long it takes, what about the mess and the museum workers?
    I was coming from the perspective of someone with a terrible lack of time, a portable Cintiq is a solution for the "spur of the moment" when you're on the go and wanna paint but aren't prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by acivicdilemma View Post
    Has anyone ever had the chance to use one of these?

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

There's a MacBook pro version coming out soon. I'm surprised Mac isn't just making these already instead of the 3rd party guys.
    O my gosh this is what I've been talking about! I guess we'll have to wait for the pressure sensitivity to reach an Intuos level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    512 vs 1024 is not a big difference really...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aspenboy View Post
    512 vs 1024 is not a big difference really...
    I have to kindly disagree with you there. It's double the sensitivity, and I have noticed a difference between the two...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I have to kindly disagree with you there. It's double the sensitivity, and I have noticed a difference between the two...
    It's probably a matter of personal preference
    I compared both and for me it's not a very big difference. Of course, it's nice to have more.

For me Asus EP121 looks promising, I guess it will have something like 256 levels of pressure (like LE1700 I think?). LE1700 and Modbook are cool, but a bit too expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really excited for the Asus tablet. However, this dell convertible showed up online today and has similar specs plus a matte screen. I'd like to see how these tablets pan out.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/d...ands-on-video/

edit: I just read on another site that it uses the n-trig digitizer as opposed to the wacom guts in the asus tablet. A quick google seems to show some customer dissatisfaction in their product.

Last edited by blacksmithx; February 9th, 2011 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Repost from Hardware.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375226,00.asp

I'm a cheap bastard, so the price of the base model is definitely good news. Not sure about the type of digitizer, but I believe it's neither Wacom nor N-trig. From the videos I've seen, it looks like it does what is needs to do.

There seem to be a bunch of slates coming, just a few month away. Hopefully the competition leads to more options with a good power/price ratio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That dream of yours sounds like a nightmare!

I'm LEFT-handed.

"Doing something half-assed more than once just makes you more of an ass."
    ●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LePad is the gayest name in hardware history

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    LePad is the gayest name in hardware history
    What if it were 2 words and had an accent mark over the top?

Lé Pad

NOW, which is the gayer name?

"Doing something half-assed more than once just makes you more of an ass."
    ●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LePad... as nothing can beat the very first impression, lol

(Lé pâd will get quite close though )

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We already had discussion on this forum about asus, battery last for 3 hours, when using ps even less, not to mention awful lag when using art rage, i don't even think about using ps on it!!

wait a little, it will become everyday tool, like mobile phone or vibrator

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's the main beef with N-trig? Doing some reading, it appears that the drivers didn't originally support PS and other programs. That seems to have been fixed, but they seem to fall short, compared to Wacom. I'm still on an old Graphire3, with a stock pen. Using something with an N-trig digitizer, would there be a noticeable difference?

Edit: Saw some videos. Man, that's just awful. I like Artrage and all, but it's not something I would use all the time.

HTC is showing off their tablet, with a pressure sensitive, capacitive stylus, but what I've read indicates it's only suitable for simple drawings. Looks like it'll be a while before something comes along that I can justify buying.

Last edited by Partialartist; February 15th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MatejaPetkovic and Partialartist, I think you guys are correct. I remember always being an early adapter and blowing my money on something that would be better a year or two later. My Palm V 8b and Jazz drives come to mind...

Granted, there's always the "you'll wait forever for the next best thing" but in this case I think most of us would be happy if the next batch of hardware had just bit more battery life (from SandyBridge maybe?), less lag, and and a decent amount of pressure sensitivity. I think things like Gorilla Glass and faster processor speeds will become more prevalent over the next year.

The only issue I see is that the technical-artist niche is a lot smaller than the "just want to watch Netflix and Facebook" demographic.

I keep checking back to these threads hoping one of you finally says "My tablet came and it's everything I/you/all-of-us ever wanted"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw some of the videos of the Asus. It does look promising and less of a hassle than the LE1700. I really want to believe that that is IT, that it's "the one". Please somebody crush my dreams already.

Last edited by PLeon; February 17th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.