Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop vs Painter (which one?)!!!

Thanks

Photoshop vs Painter (which one?)!!!

I have been using Painter 11 with a large wacom tablet. I am considering purchasing photoshop, but I am not sure which one is best. I see that most digital art is created with photoshop. Any advice?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,489 Posts
    depends on what you are using it for. Photoshop has more 3d capability now which is great for 3d modelling. Painter is better for getting a more traditional look to an image. If you spend time with either one you can get most of the effects you want if you know what you're doing.

Thanks
    I'll let you know in a few weeks after I've dabbled in my shiny new Painter software! LOL!

I started out with Photoshop. I think it's one of those things that you tend to stay pretty loyal to what you started out with, but I can't really know for sure since I haven't used Painter yet!

Thanks
    I dont do any 3D modeling, I mostly just draw fantasy pictures. Im trying to delve into the world of color, Im learning so much so fast that it is making my head spin, but Im not going to stop until im one of the best, it will probably take my whole life to get there but what the hell, lol. Im not interested in wether my digital art looks like a real traditional painting or not. I just want to make what I see in my mind visible to others in my artwork.

Thanks
    Why not both? They're not mutually exclusive, I find it extremely useful to begin a work in Photoshop because the foundations are much easier to pin down. Then when I have them I might go into painter and finish it off with a traditional look. Works for me =)

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Both programs will give you a 30-day trial (I've just done both with my shiny, new computer). Why not give Photoshop a try?

I'm about halfway through my Painter trial, and I'm not getting on with it very well. I'm just so accustomed to Photoshop after all this time, it's hard to learn a new tool and I get frustrated easily.

That said, a lot of my favorite digital artwork seems to come out of Painter users. They do get a more painterly look out of it than I can seem to get out of Photoshop.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by damascus57 View Post
    Why not both? They're not mutually exclusive, I find it extremely useful to begin a work in Photoshop because the foundations are much easier to pin down. Then when I have them I might go into painter and finish it off with a traditional look. Works for me =)
    You bring up a good point. I've seen many an amazing work done in both Photoshop and Painter. Sometimes it's like you said, PS first and Painter to finish, and other times it's the opposite... Painter first and PS to add textures, etc.

I second the 30 day free trials for both

9. The Following User Says Thank You to goldilockz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,489 Posts
    There is also Art Rage. I've played with the free vesion and it is pretty good for painterly effects. You also can't beat the price compared to photoshop which is about 700 for the newest version.
    Barron Impossible could probably address the full version of Art Rage as I think he does his excellent work with it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Heh. When I tried Art Rage, I got lots of stuff that looked just like paint. Sadly, none of it looked like artwork.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    This topic is done to death, if you google you'll see "photoshop vs painter" threads all over the place.

It's like Pepperoni vs Sausage.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the input! Im going to try the 30 day trial. My problem with painter is that it seems to take way too much effort to make something look right. I know that I am not very experienced, but I do have a grasp on the fundimentals, and I have more imagination than I can handle, but there has to be an easier way.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragg View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input! Im going to try the 30 day trial. My problem with painter is that it seems to take way too much effort to make something look right. I know that I am not very experienced, but I do have a grasp on the fundimentals, and I have more imagination than I can handle, but there has to be an easier way.
    There isn't. It's called practice. Your problem isn't the program. Your problem is you need to learn more. That's it.

As long as most programs have pressure sensitivity and a hard round brush you can pretty much get what you want on about any program. It's just that there are programs that have its benefits and drawbacks that help with workflow, but it's not necessary for something to "look right"

That "looking right" depends on us the artist.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lol, very very true Arshes Nei. I think my main problem lies with having the right brushes. There are soo many on painter its ridiculous trying the right one for the right job. Ive heard that the brushes on photoshop are more basic and easier to use. But yes a lot of my problems will be fixed with time and practice, I just want to make the right steps in the beggining, Im still young and dumb! lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast