Sketchbook: My Scribsbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My Scribsbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Scribsbook

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster! I really want to get involved in this forum and up my skills.
    I have a comic book/cartoony vibe to my art currently, but I'm looking to expand my style and get more variety in there eventually (which will be a little tough for me to break out of)
    Feel free to tear the work apart, and I look forward to checking out all your threads as well!

thanks for lookin!

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by max_dunbar; February 3rd, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun stuff in here so far! What kind of styles are you looking to venture into? Your fundies seem solid- you shouldn't have much trouble adapting to different things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl on the bike looks pretty cool!
    I have already the feeling that you can do some different styles. Maybe you can try define the masses under the clothes more with the shadows. Some parts (not all) look a bit flat, but I like the subtle way you use to paint shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix: Thanks! I guess I just want to make sure I have a variety of styles. More realism in my art would never hurt, that's for sure. I just got to practice I think. Thanks for the encouragement!

Valyavande: Thank you! and good tip. I'm not really as comfortable with tonal and heavy shadows as I'd like to be. I'll definitely try and incorporate more of that into my stuff soon.

Just did some sketches from the random Posmaniacs

I need to work on hands more. Seem to have left them pretty undetailed in most of these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey pal, definitely keep up on this and we can help each other out

I think when it comes to trying new styles you totally have to pick one and set out for exactly that. What I'm trying to do is find an image that is rendered in a way I normally wouldn't, or want to explore, and produce a different piece of art with that goal.

I wonder in the future if we could mutually pick a 'style' of line or rendering for us both to attempt?

For your future soldier - it feels like HIS right leg could be short, and that the knee pad doesn't match the design of the other or face the right direction. The foot should also show the top a bit and not be straight on - you've done a great job on this on the woman right below him

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakers: yeah. I need to focus and really study what I want (which is hard, because I've got a lot of improving to do) but I have no lack of motivation, so I'll keep plugging away!

30 or so minute sketch, mostly from my head (did reference the hair, as I know nothing about hair styles, and the ear, cause ears are complicated)

I'm not happy with it at all, but I figure I should post stuff even if I don't like it, as it is all part of learning and whatnot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Max, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

I don't really feel competent to comment on yours, though. I do like the portrait, even if you don't.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow , your sketch books fantastic , i really enjoyed .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some skull studies should help with the portrait frustration. Once you get the eye sockets in place the eyes will fallow, and you'll move away from that comic-book look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    raminafshari:Thanks!
    Rhubix: Great call. I hadn't thought of doing that and I definitely will!

I don't have a ton of experience with digital painting, and I want to get into it more. I spent pretty much the entire day on this portrait. its not referenced but I did get the technique from This tutorial Really helpful. Again, I'm not happy with it at all, and I've got a looooong way to go, but I learned a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see you branching out already.

I think part of what will make you learn more you've already said yourself - its not referenced.

Now, I know that you know what heads are generally like, but I think it can save a lot of guessing to just stick with a good photo. In this case, I think the eyes might be a little high/top of head too low. Lips feel just a little too round and puckered, not quite natural. Also there is a large value change from the ear to the side of the head (where I think it should be similar, its not standing straight out from the side of the head).

Its also much more difficult to do your lighting from your head - so if you do some real photo studies pick ones with very 3 dimensional lighting, not so much the soft mag covers but good rim/fill lights to one side.

My thoughts keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, not sure if you're checkin this but get posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like your style. very interesting, with all care and thoroughness, and living colors so far, so good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are the best drawings from posemaniacs I've ever seen! Good job. I think you should try this and this as alternatives to it though, they use real people and you can select more than just poses.
    And some crits for the portrait, don't shade with black. Black takes the life out of the color. Instead use a complimentary shade of the light. If the light's a warm color, the shadows would be cool. Also the eye doesn't touch the edge of the face until the nose is really close or has partially overlapped it.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate, awesome stuff!!! really like your comic art style. my style sorta comes from comics, but yours is just freakin awesome. i know wat u mean wen u want to break out of the style to broader your art....that's wat im trying to do. its pretty hard wen u try draw something different to what your used to, and it looks like shit. but it will pay off ill come by again later to see what your working on in the future good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.