Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pierce. The images are pretty good. They both have nice lighting which adds big mood. I have some suggestions tho:

First image needs to be tightened up overall. You're just going to have to try different things and watch some tutorials about how to render things. Is that supposed to be water and a shoreline or just fog? Its a little too loose. Find some tutorials and see what brushes people are using; download some brushes and try them out. I have brushes for rocks, plants, skin, hair. Some people don't use any custom brushes so you could find out how they do it too(cause I have no idea)

The furthest mountain cannot be lighter than the sky because the sky is what makes distant things lighter. Unless its supposed to be snow?

Choose a place where the sun is and make lines if you need, to find where the light would hit on the figure and surrounding rocks. Would it hit his right arm but none of his back?

Its great that you made a strong shape for the foreground and figure. However, you don't want any blacks in it. I see some reflected light in the rocks above the archway but it might actually be too strong. Make more subtle reflected light in the blacks.

The figure is in a very unconvincing pose. Like he is cool with just watching the dragon burn the city. This could be the story, but if its not, I would recommend that he is just seeing the dragon and reacting to it. He's stunned, he's in a hurry, etc.

Ok and finally, get reference for everyyyyyything. It never hurts to find reference. Sunset ref and figure ref. Armor ref. What trees look like from a distance...anything. You can't improve if you only use what your mind already knows.

Ok this is wayyyyyyy long so crit for the second image can go to someone else

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artfix discussed a lot good points, got 2 things to add.
    I feel that the dragon is hovering in mid air, maybe its supposed to do that?

and he's breathing his fire right above the town,
    when i think off dragons they come swooping in and breathing fire at an angle instead off a 90 degree one i think that that give a more "destructive feel" to it. my opinion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickondraw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. I'll definitely look up some more references, and I felt the same way about my rendering skills. more practice.
    I agree the dragon still looks like he's hovering so i'll rework him.

Venger- I dont know why i didnt put this in that thread, me spacing out i guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i quoted you guys in the original thread and i'm going to delete this one in an bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.