This website distracts me! D:

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This website distracts me! D:

I often find myself switching back and forth between drawing something and looking over peoples sketchbooks and finished pieces on here. I finally got upset at myself enough to where I actually posted it on here. Does anyone else have this problem or did anyone use to have this problem? I'd like some sort of an idea of how I might stop myself from procrastinating on my art so much :/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Switch off the internet. That's what I do.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've often thought about how much practice I could have gotten in but instead spent the time looking at stuff on this site. One problem I ran into was I'd learned SO much information with SO little practice that when I was ready to start a painting, I didn't know what to do. I had so much I'd learned rattling around in my head with no idea how to apply any of it 'cause I hadn't practiced anything while learning it. I was like, "Let's see, I need good composition, some colors planned, I would like to have a mood, I should probably do some thumbnails and an underpainting first, I shouldn't start out on a white canvas, I'd like to experiment with some mixed mediums..." and the list went on. It was so much I couldn't even filter it out or organize it, lol.

Anyway. Yeah, you should ban yourself from the site for a few days and just get some artwork done. Don't come back for a week or don't come back until you've finished at least 4-5 pieces!

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it not ca.org its procrastination itself. be it the web, or games, or cleaning up the entire house before drawing, sorting books by color and so on.

forcing oneself not to procrastinate is necessary sometimes. i don't know any other way. Of course there are productivity/motivational hacks and tools, but they don't work for me. forcing myself helps. and thinking about the good feeling i have when i drew for hours.

it kinda helps to close all browser windows, though. and everything that moves or bounces on your screen, like mail, IM or twitter. and deinstall growl! get rid of all your desktop symbols. the less stuff you see when looking away from the paper/photoshopcanvas, the better. if you're like me and you can't stand an empty screen, make a nice wallpaper or leave your ITunes open.

i listen to silent to no music while drawing, sometimes podcasts. don't listen to stuff you don't know yet, it'll distract you. My itunes mostly plays "Enema of the state", because I heard it soooo many times, and often i don't even notice when it stops and it's silent. Thats when I'm most productive. I also have some music that I closely connect to painting, to this place or to certain artists that I like.

Sooo enough procrastinating for me.. back to the paper!

cheers
    -a

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest_I View Post
    I often find myself switching back and forth between drawing something and looking over peoples sketchbooks and finished pieces on here. I finally got upset at myself enough to where I actually posted it on here. Does anyone else have this problem or did anyone use to have this problem? I'd like some sort of an idea of how I might stop myself from procrastinating on my art so much :/
    I could ban you.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I could ban you.
    LMAO!

Procratination is a killer of all things creative. You just need to shut out the things that kill good time. Make yourself some rules like...1. No internet till 8pm etc..and stick to it.

It's also hard when you have a full time job, come home and realise you got laundry to do and you have to go shopping because you ran out of food. Oh and go pay that bill that's written in the blood of an orc. Take the dog a walk and of course, keep the girlfriend happy. It gets harder as you get older.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,982 Times in 2,413 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Halogen View Post
    LMAO!

It gets harder as you get older.
    You have no idea

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfeeras View Post
    i listen to silent to no music while drawing, sometimes podcasts. don't listen to stuff you don't know yet, it'll distract you.
    Actually, it's the complete opposite for me. I need constant tunes or my mind wanders and I start thinking of everything else, or I'll notice every little annoying sound from the street, the neighbors, the radiators, etc. etc. and won't be able to focus. And I can't listen to people talking at all. Even the music I listen to has to have minimal lyrics or be in a language I don't know, or I'll get distracted by the lyrics.

And oddly I work better if I have lots of new tunes to listen to - if I hear the same thing over and over I get bored and my mind starts to wander... again...

In fact one of the ways I motivate myself to get started on something is by getting some brand new tunes, or setting up a new Pandora mix, and reserving it as a special treat that I can only listen to when I'm working. And then there's using tunes as a motivation to keep working a little longer, as in "I'm tired - but I'll keep working to the end of this song! Oh wait, this song is good too! I'll keep working to the end of this song. Oh wait, this is a good one..." etc.

I hate to say it, but I think everyone has to find their own cures for distraction. Judging by other threads on this subject, totally different things seem to work (or not work) for different people.

(FYI being female and over 30 seriously doesn't help with distractibility. And I hear it gets worse as you approach menopause. Yippee.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I usually come here when I'm at my night job.

This isn't much of a distraction to me.

I have my own skills to work on to get distracted by someone who is at the level I want to achieve. Staring at their work won't help in the slightest if I'm not analyzing it for something.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My mind constantly wanders; I've found it to be very frustrating. When I'm at work, I want to work on personal projects; when I'm at home I want to be on work projects. I cannot draw when there is dead silence and the moment I turn something on, like the TV, I begin tuning into it.

The best I've been able to do is turn on soft jazz. There's no lyrics in it so my mind doesn't pick up on words, and it's soft and relaxing, allowing me to not focus so sharply on it.

This forum and its community are fantastic. Mature, professional and VERY skilled. It's a great source of inspiration. I hope to absorb up its knowledge like a sponge so that one day too, I can help aspiring artists.

"Doing something half-assed more than once just makes you more of an ass."
    ●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I could ban you.
    In all seriousness... could you? Well, not a ban on my nick, but a ban on a specific IP? I can stay away from the computer when drawing at home, because my drawing board is away from the computer, so getting online means standing up, make a few steps... takes a conscious effort.

But at work my display is right in front of my nose and I keep coming here wanting to draw. I even come as far as arranging a nice drapery to draw (like today), do the warmup and sooner or later I catch myself... *click* ... *click* ... *type* ...

grrrr

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    You have no idea
    I hope in time...that I will have

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could ban you.
    no.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas guys. It's not so much large works of art I find myself distracted from, it's mostly when I start studying or something, but procrastination is procrastination and I can't make any excuses for that. I'm going to allow myself 10 minutes of internet time every page of studies I draw. It might still be quite a bit of time wasted, but at the moment I usually do about 3 pages every 2 days or so. Sooooo, it's a lot better of a game plan then what I'm doing right now. Also, the whole Itunes idea is true, I almost always listen to music when I draw (lyrics or no lyrics I don't care) and it's harder to concentrate when I don't have any good new music. Thanks guys!

Peace!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.