Sketchbook: DEJAs Sketchbook - Critique Appreciated

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DEJAs Sketchbook - Critique Appreciated

Hello! I'm new to the ConceptArt forums but truthfully I've been admiring the artists here for a long time. : ]

I've been intimidated to post and even now I'm kind of embarrassed of the work I have to show, but I'm doing it because I really want to get out of this rut I'm in.

Any advice or critique you have would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DEJA; February 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, head size? Tiny head on one, gigantic head on the other! DX

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mock manga covers. I've always wanted to make my own comic. : ]

Last edited by DEJA; April 20th, 2011 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!!! truely great work you have here, your line work is exquisit and that coloring of yours aint too shabby neither
    I think I like the first and second pics the best.
    Do more, I'd love to see what else you've got

Oh and just a heads up, teh best way to get people to look at your stuff is to put your SB link in your signature and make lots O' posts

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great fer me)
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP

A quick sketch I did for my boyfriend that I'm going to fix up and hopefully color tonight.

I really have to force myself to draw feet. D:Note to self. Stop avoiding the feet!

@ Medusoid - I know this comment is *TERRIBLY* late but thank you for the kind comments. I definitely feel out of my league here so any and all feedback is hugely appreciated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DEJA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best thing to do, is to start on the basics. Like, the beginning, trust me. I'm currently struggling with the same thing, and the only way I can advance any further is to put some of my favorite drawing (mostly anime) on the side and work on structure of the real world. You just gotta be patient and determined, that's all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You definitely have some nice line work and I like the color choices you made on that first piece. One the one you said the head size was too small/large you could always quick select the head area in Photoshop and resize it. 'Course you could always redraw it but you seem to have detailed the head already and it looks nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DEJA! your back? dont go, your art is soo amazing! this is great I really like your line work on it even if your just going to cover it up

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great fer me)
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Nice stuff so far. I suggest doing some practice with basic forms and making them more 3D. Right now alot of your stuff is very flat. I was recently given a link to some really good exercises. They're for beginner animators but they're really good for everyone. 3D shape exercises

Also I suggest some gesture drawings and figure studies. If you can get into some life drawing courses or groups that would be great if not, some temporary tools would be www.pixelovely.com and www.posemaniacs.com. Use basic lines and shapes to build your figures form the inside out and concentrate on getting the form and gestures correct before worrying too much about anatomic detail.

sorry if any of that's old hat, just trying to give you some ideas on where to start.

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Slowly but Surely

Normally I color directly over my sketches and skip the line art process altogether but Wooden Mango pointed out that my art has been flat which I felt really rang true. It's something I've noticed for a long time but haven't been able to pin-point myself.

So, instead of jumping straight to color I wanted to spend more time focusing on the forms. I know it's not exactly leaps-and-bounds in terms of improvement but I already feel like these small steps taught me a lot and my next piece will be better because of it.

Long story short, there is still a lot I'd like to fix (and I'm STILL struggling with those darn feet!) but I'm working on it, slowly but surely.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.