Sketchbook: Jorvaa's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jorvaa's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digital self portrait that I am working on. I'm relieved I got this far. Any suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heej Jorva,

Nice SB, keep it up. What helped me with an self portrait is looking at other self portraits I even found one who looked a bit like me and used that to guide me.

This is the tutorial you asked for on my SB page: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955 It would be cool to see someone do the same things.

BTW I have the same problem as you. What to draw/practice. I looked at the SB of artists I like the most and look how they started and try that out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! Your still lifes are looking pretty good. Keep practising!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. The moment I say "posting daily", the whole world falls apart. The pause in posting is courtesy of a bipolar internet connection. The router has since been replaced, and I can finally upload stuff!

Today I decided to just sit myself down and do the best self-portrait I could within an hour. I honestly didn't put enough effort in this. I wanted to see quick results. I'm pleased with the overall likeness, but the features are off. The eyes are so black because I was looking sideways into a mirror, and that is how my eyes looked. I'm also really confused on shading. I can never get my pencil strokes to look like texture, and not mere pencil strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't be too focused on shading at that kind of portraiting, I'd focus more on proportions and form, wich is the gist of portraiture, that said, I suck at portraits so don't take my advice too seriously on that matter, but if I learned something in this site, its that you shouldn't shade stuff unless it helps your understanding of whatever you are studying, in this case you are also having trouble with the medium, wich is an inmmense factor, but getting acquainted with mediums is something that comes out of practice and experience, so just keep at it and it will all fall into place. That happened to me at least ^^. Keep that passion burning!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress! Wow those eyes look awesome! cant wait to see more posts!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jorvaa, thanks for the kind words about my sketchbook. If I could suggest something - there is no doubt you have a talent for shading/rendering. Something I think that can really push it further is if you start really analyzing things by their forms and changes in planes. Rendering is a great tool to have, but so much can be accomplished with form first - so do some exercises focusing just on the forms of things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch proportions. Even the sketch without details with observance of proportions looks well. Also do more sketches and don't despond if that that is impossible). Skill – a practice question!

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

Помогите c активностью форуму-скетчбуку mentalant.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

So much for daily updates. I'm going to be buying my own scanner soon, so that should definitely make it easier for me to update. I have a lot of stuff to scan, so updates will happen as soon as I get the scanner. Still haven't really gotten into digital drawing, but I suppose now would be a good time to practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great improvement u have coming along! i really like ur anatomy studies. I want to see u doing more anatomy like bones and muscles. Also do alot more figure drawings! Do a bagillion of them! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hay your pencil stuff is cool, feel free to stop by my sketch book any time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *hugs CA* It is soo good to be back and posting. I finally got a beautiful new scanner, which I just spent 3 hours playing around with. Most of the stuff I've done lately is crap, but I'm becoming less of a perfectionist, and having way more fun.

Btw, the "(Updated Daily)" still stands, since my scanning woes are over. Woo!

The face study is from Michael Hamton's excellent book on Figure Drawing. Not quite finished with it yet.
    The grayscale apple is a blending study from ctrlpaint.com. Rediculously hard, and I will definitely be repeating the exercise.
    The unfinished portrait is from a photo. Kind of stuck on this because 1) I hate the paper (printer), 2) it lacks dimension. Ugh.

Off to give my wrist a rest now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! You've got a great sketchbook so far. I especially enjoy the latest sketch of the boy you've posted though his left (our right) looks a bit small to me. I would also suggest pushing the contrast in his face and hair a little bit more. The jacket and shirt look amazing but the upper half of the picture kind of gets lost in the background. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! The face is definitely NOT finished yet. I just need to motivate myself to tackle it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keeping this daily, even if it kills me.

All of these are from life. Except the pencil one, which is a copy from a painting. Apologies for the crummy scan - I hadn't figured out how to use my new scanner yet.
    I love pen though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really digging your pen sketches! The last one especially is just wonderful. It's so flowy and relaxed. You got the mood of the beach down perfectly. The legs of the swivel chair look a little uneven but overall these are very nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried commenting on this before, but I think it didn't go through. Hmm.

Well anyway, I really like your pen sketches! The last one is so flowy and serene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New stuff! This weekend I am sick, so no hardcore practice, just fun. The first is a Harmony sketch (http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/), the second is a character of min - a mouse cop...yes, a mouse. The third is another original character that I've had since I was little (he's sort of grown up with me) that I have yet to flesh out. Excuse the terrible facial features. Finally, a photoshop study. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I'm pleased that I seem to be getting a better handle on using bigger brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroudle View Post
    I'm really digging your pen sketches! The last one especially is just wonderful. It's so flowy and relaxed. You got the mood of the beach down perfectly. The legs of the swivel chair look a little uneven but overall these are very nice!
    Thank you - you know, I hadn't noticed the uneven legs of the chair, but now that you mention it, I do see it! Thanks for pointing that out. My biggest challenge in drawing is "feeling" lengths. I need to work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh it looks like both of my comments went through. Odd. Well now that I look completely computer illiterate, sorry you were sick!

I really like your for fun sketches. Your character looks so cool. I abandoned all of mine from when I was little because they were all jerks and really boring.

Mouse detective is adorable but I think you should exaggerate more of his mouse features so it's a bit more obvious? I think making his ears bigger and maybe having his nose stick out a bit longer might be better.

Hope you feel better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments Stroudle! I always appreciate the advice you give. And yeah, mouse detective is more hamster detective, I guess. I'll have to look into it further.

Not sure if this first one makes this NSFW....something tells me no, but...maybe?

First on is a cast drawing (no actual casts were involved, just a picture) for Form light study. took about 4 hours spread throughout a few days. Definitely too long.

Second one is a mostly imaginary scene - I'm sure the shadows are completely wrong. I did have fun playing around with photoshop brushes. Finally feel like I can control them to do what I want. ...Now I just need to know what to do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey

nice progress here keep it up .
    your shading skills are what i dream of.
    the last two pictrures are amazing i like the women torso.
    i will visist your sketchbook more frequently .

greetings and thanks for your small tipp and droping by my sb...

Efru

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for your comment.

I just realized why my drawings always look so gritty. I use sketchbook paper and not Bristol.
    *d'oh*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work with the studies. I like the pencil torso study. Nice job on the eye in your profile pic too, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seriously just let out a girly squeak when I realized that Sycra commented on my sketchbook.

My day has been made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some great sketches here! The progress is showing! Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thank you for posting on my sketchbook Sorry, I've got back to you so late!

You told me I'm kind of a 'line person' and looking through your pictures I can say that even though you try to fill in some pictures with tones, those fillings are still mostly composed from lines. I think you should also work on some more consistent look in your pictures You know, I found lately charcoal being quite a nice tool to play with when it comes to shading things, maybe you could try it out?

I see you weren't around too much lately. Hope you come back some time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    girl i came back from a 7 months break only to see u have been away for 2 months... i was enjoying ur SB .. update soon plz

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When working digitally, it's often helpful to use the biggest brush you possibly can. This will lead to more efficient strokes, and help you to learn the advantages of the medium.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the long break, guys. I've been drawing (not enough, though) but I have no excuse for not posting. Shame on me!

Thank you all for the advice - I appreciate it!

The first one is a sketch of the FMC in one of my favorite books, "The Virginian". I have a few long drawings that I'm working on, and hopefully they'll make it here. (Note: I suck at still life drawings.)
    The portrait is of Shane Filan, from Westlife, and my sister did the linework while I did the coloring. REALLY unhappy with it, but I can see that I learned something and I'm determined to make the next one better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.