Why drawing with a pen, improve your line
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Why drawing with a pen, improve your line

Hi to all!
    Today I'm gonna introduce a mystic (for me, of course ) topic!
    Why drawing with a pen, improve our line?
    My teacher told me to do that to clean my line but I wonder why, without any directives, my line should improve?
    I'm suppose to be my own teacher with this technique, but I could make it worse than it should be; anyway this technique, magically should improve my line.

The question is: WHY?

Thaaanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    - When drawing with pen you can't use use eraser to fix things which forces you to make the first line correct instead of being sloppy
    - Steel nib resists when moving in every possible direction. It forces to break down complicated line into series of single clontrolled curves. That's the first step to simplifying form. That is also really good for getting good habit of planning every stroke.
    - When drawing with pencil you got different shades of gray which can be confusing. Ink is always black so you have to be more deliberate. Every imperfection is more visible so you can find it more easily.

Last edited by Farvus; February 1st, 2011 at 06:45 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also find that the ballpoint I use rolls all over the damn place, which lends itself to less control. Fast gestures look more wild and insane, but when I switch to pencil, I suddenly have a much greater appreciation for how the tip grips the page.

Slower studies are much different, though, especially if you're holding the nib at an extreme angle to the paper (still a ballpoint I'm talking about here) - then its much like as Farvus puts it.

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

5. The Following User Says Thank You to karmiclychee For This Useful Post:

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to use a pen when I want clear lines. I have found it very useful for doing gestures because I know that I cannot erase it once it's down, and because it has practically no gradation like you get with a pencil, the mark is much crisper. For me, it largely boils down to not being able to erase it that my marks tend to be more confident. I picture how I want to translate the object before me to the paper in the fewest lines possible, rather than trying to sketch it in as I would with a pencil.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is also a teaching tool, as it shows the whole process of arriving at your drawing, including all your construction, attempts and mistakes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque@xs4all.nl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Since this is a topic about pens and ink, I figure it might be good to ask this question here.

I've been using those ballpoint pens and ink pens (like ballpoint pens but their tip is finer and the ink is kinda more liquid and watery). It seems that after a while (about 7 hours worth of using it), the pen's tip starts to leak and the entire tip is covered with the ink. Anyone encountered this before?

I wonder if it's because the pens are cheap or am I handling it the wrong way. I use the pen for gesture drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Since this is a topic about pens and ink, I figure it might be good to ask this question here.

I've been using those ballpoint pens and ink pens (like ballpoint pens but their tip is finer and the ink is kinda more liquid and watery). It seems that after a while (about 7 hours worth of using it), the pen's tip starts to leak and the entire tip is covered with the ink. Anyone encountered this before?

I wonder if it's because the pens are cheap or am I handling it the wrong way. I use the pen for gesture drawing.
    Nope, it's cheap. That's a ballpoint for you. The excess ink scrapes off on the edge of the opening at the bottom of the pen when you make a stroke. Do this long enough and you'll complete cover the bottom. Just have a tissue handy to clean off the point every so often and you won't blot your drawings.

I've found that liquid ink pens don't get messy so often, but tend to bleed into my paper because of the quality of the ink. The more gooey ink doesn't bleed, but blots more on the nib.

When I lived in China, I found that the Chinese are much more serious about what they write with and there were scores of different kinds of pens everywhere - cheap fountain pens! Cheap .3mm ballpoints! Oh, it was heaven! I was going to buy tons of them before I returned to the States, but I didn't have enough room in my bags

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karmiclychee View Post
    Nope, it's cheap. That's a ballpoint for you. The excess ink scrapes off on the edge of the opening at the bottom of the pen when you make a stroke. Do this long enough and you'll complete cover the bottom. Just have a tissue handy to clean off the point every so often and you won't blot your drawings.

I've found that liquid ink pens don't get messy so often, but tend to bleed into my paper because of the quality of the ink. The more gooey ink doesn't bleed, but blots more on the nib.

When I lived in China, I found that the Chinese are much more serious about what they write with and there were scores of different kinds of pens everywhere - cheap fountain pens! Cheap .3mm ballpoints! Oh, it was heaven! I was going to buy tons of them before I returned to the States, but I didn't have enough room in my bags
    Hey! He's either talking about liquid ink pens or rollerball pens, not ballpoint pens. Those ones are much easier to gum up and their ink sucks more too. Ballpoint pens will last much longer and excess ink can be scraped off the sides on a piece of paper. In fact cheaper ballpoint pens usually last longer than more expensive liquid ink pens (for ex those james jean pens gum up super fast and blotch).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *looks at RyerOrd's blog*

...this woman knows what she's talking about.

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hush!

Don't start a ballpoint pen thread...or HE'LL come, like The candy man said three times into a mirror.

$10 bucks on anyone remembers that guy.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeesh, I remember that guy...

"Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sorta do. No. Wait. Yeah, now I do...

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really using a pen (as i do because i cannot bring anything more complex than that because i would have to hog around 2 bags full of things) is more about perfectionism.

Getting it done the first time around if you know what i mean.It requires skill, which really i would reccomend doing with a pencil since youl achieve it much much faster.

I have wasted countless hours (and still do) using pens.Than i pick up a pencil i cannot get out of the mindset of using a pen as a result i make everything rugged and forced as if im putting too much things into the drawings.

Its still fun through.

“Offending people is healthy. Every time you say something that’s offensive to another person, you just force them to think.”
    — Louis C.K.

My DeviantArt Acount

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGreekDollmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karmiclychee View Post
    *looks at RyerOrd's blog*

...this woman knows what she's talking about.
    Wow, amazing work RyerOrd.

I realised that even though I like to draw caricatures I wasn't very good at just getting down simple shapes and lines as I like to get in there and do detail and shading. It also helps no end in your confidence levels and I find I translate that to my pencil drawings and they look alot better for it.

I've started using copic brush pens which are really cool and getting a Kuretake brush fountain pen for my birthday, can't wait!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 5