Could you live in a place without art?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Could you live in a place without art?

I have been visiting my uncle in the town Al Ain and there seems to be no art museums, no art galleries, no art stores, no life drawing places. I don't think I've seen even one painting or drawing, or anyone doing art at all. Do you think you would be able to live in an area so removed from art?

Last edited by FlameDragon; January 31st, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I lived in Rosedale, Australia for three years. They're about as culturally inclined as the Cow pats that they use to keep their fruit farms nice and moist.

Now coming to Brisbane, you have artisans in the streets, cultural centres in South Bank, Art supplies in the City and more self proclaimed art connoisseurs and higher thinkers than you can poke a stick at.

Though sometimes I wish I could just remove the people who discuss the meaning of art as though they were masters of the subject, and just ponder the work in quiet appreciation.

Sometimes the simplicity of country folk is like a breath of fresh air from all of the uppity ass inner city Philosophers and hipsters, who all use art and science to some degree to place themselves upon an artificial pedestal made of intellectual excrement. Really.

That's why I love going back to the country every once in a while just to talk to people who have more concern to their own every day lives because.. it feels like there's a more solid concept of basic humanity rather than people with their head in the clouds. There's more integrity, somehow.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if you define art as strictly the paintings and sculptures that you see a lot on these forums, whether digital or traditional, then yes, I could survive without art.

There are many outlets in the world for creativity. You don't need to be limited to the canvas or the sculpture.

How about stories? Does your uncle have any good stories? Is that not a form of art? (Art of storytelling, whether true or not?) Is this the al ain you're going to?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Ain Well, isn't there at least some architecture? Design? Enviroments?

And then of course, you could always just make your own art. You don't have to always be looking at art, just make your own.

Sometimes the simplicity of country folk is like a breath of fresh air from all of the uppity ass inner city Philosophers and hipsters, who all use art and science to some degree to place themselves upon an artificial pedestal made of intellectual excrement. Really.
    While I do agree with your views(The simple life is great), Doesn't it seem like you are doing the exact same thing by acting as if you are better than those "uppity city folk?" It's just different ways of living in the world - no need to belittle them.

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's almost impossible to live in a place without art if you have the internet, at least in my little world, but a place without internet... Oh boy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's art everywhere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With so much of my time spent either at my art school or my non art related job these days I would hardly notice the difference. Wold miss the art stores though. Having to order everything could be annoying.
    I would rather have great landscape close to me where I can study and draw and paint then a big art museum.

Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    It's almost impossible to live in a place without art if you have the internet, at least in my little world, but a place without internet... Oh boy.
    Also this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kool-ka-lang View Post
    While I do agree with your views(The simple life is great), Doesn't it seem like you are doing the exact same thing by acting as if you are better than those "uppity city folk?" It's just different ways of living in the world - no need to belittle them.
    I hadn't even thought where I was in relation to them, actually. I meant that I couldn't really stand being in that place with people who would constantly debate with each other over trivial politics like it was a sport. It was fun for a while, but it never really stopped. I like the best of both worlds but I'd really love to have the two lifestyles interchangeably between the simple and the complicated. Where there's art there are art connoisseurs and higher thinkers.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post
    I have been visiting my uncle in the town Al Ain and there seems to be no art museums, no art galleries, no art stores, no life drawing places. I don't think I've seen even one painting or drawing, or anyone doing art at all. Do you think you would be able to live in an area so removed from art?
    Sure. I was raised in a small town in northern Canada and there wasn't much in the way of art up there either. I mean, there were art classes you took in school (basically "let's find ways to occupy the kids so they don't throw clay at one another") and there was a guy who painted local landscapes and people's portraits at the mall and that was about it. I think there was a gallery that sold paintings but I was just a scrubby kid and I never went into it.

These days it wouldn't be a big deal for me. I make my own art, usually at home. I don't get out to organized art events very often.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumisade View Post
    there's art everywhere

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You might not think there is art, but look closer. Does no one knit, croquet, quilt, whittle etc? People will make stuff even without any shops selling them stuff.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art is not just galleries and museums. The crafts have been around for centuries, and they won't go away. Woodworking, carpentry, weaving, they're all ARTS. And sometimes much more interesting than giant canvases on a wall you can't even touch. Have you ever asked someone older to teach you how to make something? I'd pick that any day over a visit to a museum.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I'm there, there's going to be art.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.