Sketchbook: ..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by saltfox; July 10th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got quite a nice 'naieve' style actually. but i'm guessing you want to get more 'serious'. in which case, take some life drawing classes and post more.

my collaborative

join to me to make beautiful drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Catish is right, life drawings are a great place to start. Also, what I found helpful was drawing some other pieces of art that inspired me when I was younger (in my case it was Magic: The Gathering artwork ). Even if you don't take my advice just don't stop posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think reading Betty Edwards' Drawing On The Left Side of The Brain and doing the exercises would benefit you big time at this stage. Good luck on your journey.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saltfox View Post
    landscapes/environments that I've seen posted on here, but I know absolutely nothing about perspective/colour/lighting,
    It's pretty awesome that you know this. If you KNOW your bad at perspective you can find resources to improve it. Start with simple exercises and you will improve.
    Just saying something like this makes you ahead of 50% of beginners who don't know what they're missing, or think they're awesome and don't need to learn these things!

Anyhoo- here's a site I like with lots of figure drawing resources. http://figure-drawings.blogspot.com/...r-artists.html Spend some time doing studies on proportions. The eyes are 1/2 way down the face- you consistently put them too high.
    Just for fun, I took the face you drew and fixed the proportions. As soon as you put your features in the right place you'll see a drastic improvement very fast.

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you could come at drawing from a variety of ways. some people come at it from their passions and inspirations. some people, mostly those in education, are taught very much from the perspective of technique. others in fine art, are taught about the importance of ideas.

i was the same as you i guess.. i didn't want to draw something that i thought would turn out to be rubbish. so i just burried my head in books and stuff for years. it can get really boring and not fun. don't be impatient and you'll have an easier time.

my collaborative

join to me to make beautiful drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kind of goin off what Catish said above, even if you make a crappy drawing don't just look at it and say "Hey, that's crap." Think about what's wrong with it and compare it maybe to the original that you copied from or a drawing similar to it. Most importantly, don't stop drawing, and it's also a good idea to hold on to your old sketches. I know that I personally gain a huge boost of confidence when I look at my sketches from when I first joined CA and compare them to what I can do now.

I also agree with Ismo's suggestion on reading Betty Edward's book. I personally never read it, but I skimmed through it a couple nights ago and agree that it is a great resource for a person at your level.

Peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think before moving on to anything else you should be focusing on simple shapes before moving on to more complex stuff like hand. Simple shapes make up everything in the world do the better grasp you have on them the easier it makes everything else. you should be doing 1000s of shapes (not joking). CLICK HERE =D This link will take you to Jeffx99's thread about Observations on drawing from life, I am sure you could get some use out of that.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  2d and 3d.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  21.6 KB

Found another link that I am sure could help you Dpaint's drawing from Life Survival Guide also if you look in my Signature you will see a link to a lot of tutorials that should also aide you ^_^

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everybody loves boxes! Great to see you banging against those fundamentals! keep on trucking and you'll get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... I am so impressed by your excercises with the right brain, I just went straight to Amazon and bought the book!

Keep it up, you have som every nice approaches to drawing, I really like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HaHA! You had your first breakthrough in a series of many! I believe you have made the first step into learning how to see! Keep going!

Simple trick - try setting up a still life - two, maybe three simple shaped items (my personal favorite are bell peppers), and a strong directional light - study that and you'll be well on your way!

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow see look at that your already starting to improve ever since you picked up Drawing on the Right Side of Brain. I also see improvements in your hand in the last post compared to the others. Keep up the good work and keep drawing as often as you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work on your improvement. The book is really helping you and I can't wait to see more of your work over time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I can see you are on the right track xD
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving at great leaps! The still life looks very good.

Inspiring dedication, keep it up.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent still. Well done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good! Here are some pointers that will help make still lifes easier.
    1,2,3 Are about negative space. You should look at the space around the objects as much as you look at the objects themselves.
    1. Compare angles, if your doing a setup from life you can use a strait edge, digitally you can sneak in a few strait lines to compare angles.
    2. Look at the space between the object and the edge of the table, you can use it as a guide to judge the arc of the banana.
    3. looking at the space between objects will help you judge if your shapes are accurate.
    Use every sneaky shape in the whole set up and compare it to everything else.

4. measure. You can see here that the with of the apple is about the same distance as the edge of the apple to the tip of the banana.
    The more you compare the sizes of objects and angles the more accurate your drawing will be.

Looking forward to lots more!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowee, I'm just echoing the others but you've made some great strides in these few posts.

It sounds like you've got a great sense of what you need to do: checking out bridgman, loomis, etc. and you're hitting fantastic posts like Perspective 101.

Now if you just stick with it and draw as much as possible, you will be pretty dang good in a couple years (or even sooner).

Never stop and you'll get there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are learing very quick, if I look to your first drawing you made a big improvement.
    congratulations for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I HOPE you keep posting, because the improvements already are really awesome to see. Keep it up, because these sketchbooks that go from complete beginner are always so interesting.

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Can't sleep.."
    welcome to the most productive time of the day... the middle of the night!
    that study's looking good

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one... just be aware that you're making an outline of the shadows - that shouldn't be there.

Also, it helps me to see better if I put a blank paper under the thing I'm drawing. Keep it up.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to make more contrast in your shadings, use different pencils mayby. I use 2h, hb, 2b

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point. As a default I use HB, 4B, 8B, but I recently started using even the whole scale.

Drawing group:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, miss. You're making some very fast improvement.

Infact, those perspective studies are looking pretty good to me, as are the hand studies. I bet if you keep that pace up you'll have an understanding of them in no time. So, keep up the pace- and the good work.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I really remember me doing the same Loomis sketches! Always good to see other people doing them.
    Maybe it can help you, to flip your picture sometimes. Just hold it into the light to make the lines shine through from the back. That will give you a new view. It's just because you tend to bent the angles to the left

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh you're right...I have a bad habit of making thick black outlines around everything I draw
    Dominant personality, are you?
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure of the exact differences between HB/2B/2H/etc pencils... I just know that some make a darker line than others xD
    Well, that's actually all the magic about it. That's all you need to know. Just use it to your advantage in your drawings. The grading of the graphite goes from 9H (hardest, lightest) to 9B (softest, darkest).

Hardest are for protraction/channeling (is that the expression?), I was advised not to sketch with anything harder than HB, but I guess that it can change over time as well.

Using different shades of pencils adds depth and contrast to the drawing, makes it more appealing...

Helps you create the right drama.

Drawing group:

31. The Following User Says Thank You to jouzinka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, I really admire that dedication for studies. It'll make your improvement much faster.

My only crit is your profiles need some work. In some of them you seem to have the hang of them, then in others you draw the nose, then leave the chin and lips flat.

Just keep on practicing, with the rate you're working you'll be sure to get better at them soon enough.

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, I really admire that dedication for studies. It'll make your improvement much faster.

My only crit is your profiles need some work. In some of them you seem to have the hang of them, then in others you draw the nose, then leave the chin and lips flat.

Just keep on practicing, with the rate you're working you'll be sure to get better at them soon enough.

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.