Art Jobs - Getting paid.. oh god please help me
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art Jobs - Getting paid.. oh god please help me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Jobs - Getting paid.. oh god please help me

Hey guys I thought I'd post here about this cause it's driving me to my limits and I'm about to punch a hole in every wall in my home.

How do you get paid for doing freelance?
    If you say Paypal I'm going to have to shoot myself.

Isn't there better ways? Seriously?

RANT>

Man.. I just got paid for sketches recently and I tried to withdraw that money to my bank account and because of paypal being so weak on giving out good information I wasted money on 3 failures. Then when I contact my dumbnut bank for information they tell me numbers to include, and when I do that I end up not getting any damn money at all and it's like.. stuck somewhere.. I don't even know. They don't know and when I write to paypal I get these retarded auto emails refering me to a woman and giving me the same old story that ain't helping at all.
    <RANT

So I've had it with paypal. Unless anyone of you know how to do that stuff properly? Maybe there's someone in europe (or better, in sweden) that knows how to get that shit right?

Aren't there any better ways to get paid when doing freelance work? I know people write checks but does that work worldwide? How does that even work??? I live in Sweden and I don't want to start limiting myself cause of a stupid thing like paypal..

I just want to know more about the business part of art and how to get the right bank crap right and all that. Cause I can't afford to guess anymore, I've already lost money doing that.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Loathsome View Post
    Aren't there any better ways to get paid when doing freelance work? I know people write checks but does that work worldwide? How does that even work??? I live in Sweden and I don't want to start limiting myself cause of a stupid thing like paypal.
    I always get paid by check, but I'm dealing with corporations, not individuals. A foreign check will take longer to clear, and your bank will do the currency conversion at whatever the current rate is. Some folks are set up to take credit card payments, but that can get complicated and there are fees. The reason Paypal has been so successful is that it really is the easiest way for most people to handle small electronic payments.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about Debit Credit card payments? I know credit is a commodity that nobody likes to pay especially when there are interest rates, but I can make international purchases (And quite Sizable ones to the Art Derpatment store )with money that I actually have.

Would it be more convenient for clients to do international payments with them as opposed to paypal or are they just as complicated as regular Credit card transfers?

I've found it to be more effective than paypal because usually my transfer doesn't even get acknowledged until Paypal clears it, AFTER my bank clears it. I stopped using Paypal ages ago because it was just a fidgety little process.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I know is donít bother with foreign checks. My experience is that all Swedish banks will charge you a lot extra to cash foreign checks (or any check? Who in Sweden uses checks?). They canít even guarantee that you will receive the money, there might be complications and then itís gone. Iím no expert but thatís what I was told by some banks when trying to cash a foreign check.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess you could try some of the other online payment methods. Search for "paypal alternatives". I've been looking at Google Checkout but I haven't tried it yet so caveat emptor.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about foreign checks. I had to send money to Netherlands to pay someone for their photographs. I sent a bank draft, which was already in euros, and they were still charged 40 euros to take out the money. Ridiculous!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually take cheques, EMTs, and paypal when no other option is available. Sadface.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the 21st century. Any decent business bank account allows you to do online wire transfers. Just click transfer and enter the details. Takes about a minute. Get your swift code, routing no etc from your bank, add it as an appendix to your invoice. Ideally get a multi currency business account to handle your incoming payments.

Paypal is worth setting up though, I use it for most stuff and don't have any problems withdrawing money to my accounts.

Online banking is tricky to get the hang of but worth it. Just persevere, I know how you feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the 21st century. Any decent business bank account allows you to do online wire transfers. Just click transfer and enter the details. Takes about a minute. Get your swift code, routing no etc from your bank, add it as an appendix to your invoice. Ideally get a multi currency business account to handle your incoming payments.

Paypal is worth setting up though, I use it for most stuff and don't have any problems withdrawing money to my accounts.

Online banking is tricky to get the hang of but worth it. Just persevere, I know how you feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So if I get a job from a bigger company like Paizo or Wizards or whatever, I've heard you get checks. But since checks are bad according to some of you, what should I use then?

I need to know how to do this the best way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Paypal has always worked OK for me although I don't trust it and the charges are excessive. Bank-to-bank transfers are good if you have the right bank (some are worse than Paypal for charges). Cheques are the cheapest option, but also the most inconvenient, although I'll take cheapest over inconvenient most days. One thing to beware of with Paypal is that if you deliver digital it's classed as a service and if the client decides to reverse payment there's nothing you can do about it. That's why, with clients I've no history with, I sometimes transfer the money to my bank as soon as it appears in Paypal. And never, ever, use Western Union. I did once, when I first started. Never again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is being paid using the IBAN and BIC thing a good way to go?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IBAN / BIC / bank transfer / wire... same thing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For all I know IBAN works strictly inside Europe.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IBAN and BIC are just code numbers that identify a bank, like an address for wire transfers. The specific types of codes and other info that are required to transfer money vary from region to region. Your bank can tell you what yours are. Your payee tells you what theirs are. (If they want to get paid).

IBAn is Europe only, but If I transfer money from Hong Kong to Sweden, for example, I would require the Swedish bank's IBAN number and any other local Swedish id codes, account number, account name, and sometimes the address of the bank (for paper based transfers).

You really want to have all this stuff set up before you do any serious work. It can be tricky and that is why paypal exists and why they charge a fee.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For smaller companies I tend to get payments through paypal. The bigger ones send me checks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    You really want to have all this stuff set up before you do any serious work.
    Yeah you're totally right.
    I'm going to contact my bank as soon as possible and get everything set up and talk to them about everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really confused why you were having such trouble with Paypal; the process is pretty simple. To transfer money you do have to give them your bank account money, in the US it's just the routing/account numbers you find at the bottom of your checks. I don't know if it's different in other countries. When you set it up they deduct a few cents from your account, then you go online and check the balance and tell them the exact amount. Simple.

Paypal only charges me fees when I get payments from people with credit cards who don't have paypal. If it's just between paypal users, or if I'm transferring cash from paypal to my bank, I've never had any fees, although they limit you to about $500/month.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you considered using another bank? Some years ago in here it was a problem that you could transfer money to PayPal (or the other way around) with only specific banks that supported this, so people were forced to get an account from a different bank just to use for PayPal. You could try to contact others who use PayPal and the same bank to see if they have similar problems.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im down at the bottom of the world in New Zealand, 90% of my freelance work is from the states. so my bank here in NZ set up an American account for me. it cost me $2 to set up and they charge me $1 per bulk transfer to my NZ account. surely this is common?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Viridis View Post
    I'm really confused why you were having such trouble with Paypal; the process is pretty simple. To transfer money you do have to give them your bank account money, in the US it's just the routing/account numbers you find at the bottom of your checks. I don't know if it's different in other countries. When you set it up they deduct a few cents from your account, then you go online and check the balance and tell them the exact amount. Simple.

Paypal only charges me fees when I get payments from people with credit cards who don't have paypal. If it's just between paypal users, or if I'm transferring cash from paypal to my bank, I've never had any fees, although they limit you to about $500/month.
    Cross-border Paypal fees are basically robbery, that's when you need to watch out. Between their % cut, their fixed fees and their artificially low exchange rates you can easily end up giving them 6.5%.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    direct money transfer via IBAN (which is worldwide) and BIC is the safest thing to do. The sender can decide which fees he pays, usually the sender pays his, you pay yours. Ask your Bank for the fees and if there are any for you. I wouldn't use paypal because of their random account blockings and fees.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Cross-border Paypal fees are basically robbery, that's when you need to watch out. Between their % cut, their fixed fees and their artificially low exchange rates you can easily end up giving them 6.5%.
    Yup.
    But I usually tell folks before we even start that if they are choosing to pay with Paypal, to include that percentage on top of the final agreed upon price IF they want to use Paypal. If they don't, I accept snailmail without the fee.

Makes it so I don't have to pay for Paypal.
    Makes no difference to me how someone pays me anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always wondered about this...Thanks for all the useful info!

I'mma bookmark this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If believe if money is sent as a gift through paypal they don't take away any fees.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Yup.
    But I usually tell folks before we even start that if they are choosing to pay with Paypal, to include that percentage on top of the final agreed upon price IF they want to use Paypal. If they don't, I accept snailmail without the fee.

Makes it so I don't have to pay for Paypal.
    Makes no difference to me how someone pays me anyway.
    Yeah, for final payment cheque (or direct bank, depending on the banks) makes more sense. Trouble is I often take interim payments or deposits, so time is a factor, and I'm trying to balance Paypal robbing me with the time delay and / or the possibility of starting work without cleared payment. Some clients, like the one I've been working with recently, I know are trustworthy, so it's less of an issue, but it's sometimes a balancing act when faced with a new 'untried' client.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post

Agreed. I prefer to get my money wired to me. I hate other methods and have never used paypal for business.

Last edited by RyanRyan; February 7th, 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot to say...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pariano View Post
    If believe if money is sent as a gift through paypal they don't take away any fees.
    Yeah, but as far as I know you don't get the same protection either. If something goes wrong the money was a "gift" and you're going to have a much harder time opening a dispute if it's even possible.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every system charges a convenience fee to move money around; find one you like. People in the business of money like to make it, they aren't running charities for you; if someone takes 3 or 4 percent and allows you a quicker way than you could do on your own then I don't see a problem with that.

Last edited by dpaint; February 8th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it true that with Debit card you cant make a paypal and order service at the same time ?? i ask because a friend of mine has a card and he cant make paypal cause he is using it to order stuff over the net.

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1