What BLOWS my mind.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What BLOWS my mind.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What BLOWS my mind.

How is it that any person you talk to (and even half of random artists I have run into in various life drawing sessions) can have no clue who Richard Schmid is???

He's the greatest oil painter who has ever walked the face of the planet, yet he's not in big museums, you never hear anything about him, and most people don't even know his name (including artists). Let alone the names of the many artists who produce work of the highest caliber alongside..

Yet, people have flocked in droves the last few months to pay 12 dollars (on top of museum admission) to see a showing of Picasso's work.

A sad statement about our culture, in the USA, methinks.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've known people who know of him...

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's not THAT great of a painter. I mean I'm a fan of him too and I know you're exaggerating a bit, but for one thing he kind of specializes in alla prima oil painting- which not everybody does. Also. picasso is picasso. Theres nothing we can do about it. A can of his piss or a lock of his hair would sell for trillions.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pariano- I'm open to hearing who you think is better and I respect your opinion to enjoy the work of others more.

Your last statement is revealing of exactly my sentiment. Why would a can of his piss sell for trillions? He's a man. A mediocre man, at best. I guess I'll have to excuse myself for not waving incense at the mere mention of his name.

It's not even the fact that Picasso is so famous. It has to do with the comparison; the fame contrasted with complete ignorance of the common man about Richard Schmid (or any of the other great artists, living today).

Maybe I just run into the select few who have never heard of him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who do I think is better? thats a very subjective thing, but while lipking is in a similar vein I personally enjoy his handling of edges and color better. Graydon Parrish and Jacob Collins are some of the premier more " academic" artists. The common man honestly doesn't even always know Vermeer or Caravagio! Art isn't considered to really be an important thing to know in today's society. Plus, if you surrounded yourself with rich people that had enough money to buy Schmid's paintings you'd have much more of a response that you're looking for.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pariano View Post
    He's not THAT great of a painter.
    This blows my mind.
    In the worst way possible.

Oh also, painters don't become famous 'til they're dead.
    It's kind of an unspoken rule.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why is that people always associate Fame with Skill...
    That is not how it usually works.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The difference between a good artist being famous and not being famous is just the presence or lack of good marketing. Sure, skill or innovative creations are a requirements, but they don't mean you will be famous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kweckduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42 View Post
    How is it that any person you talk to (and even half of random artists I have run into in various life drawing sessions) can have no clue who Richard Schmid is???

He's the greatest oil painter who has ever walked the face of the planet, yet he's not in big museums, you never hear anything about him, and most people don't even know his name (including artists). Let alone the names of the many artists who produce work of the highest caliber alongside..

Yet, people have flocked in droves the last few months to pay 12 dollars (on top of museum admission) to see a showing of Picasso's work.

Aaah... Young and naive

By large, people don't care about skill, we care about experiences. Picasso is easy for people to have an experience with.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 943 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With the right marketing you can sell everything to people, EVERYTHING.
    You can tell them that there is a man living in the clouds who could strike you with lightning.
    People are capable of believing and eating things without grasping their nature, they will do so simply because others do it too.

You could possibly make people knowingly eat rat shit and praise it as the highest for of gourmet cuisine. There is simply no point in arguing.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schmid is ok, but he's not doing anything new. And yes, that is important, and even in Academic Realism, it is possible. And there are people who love Schmid's work, that's ok.

There's a lot of modern art that rocks my world, Picasso isn't one of them. I think its fine to like his work. I hate the misogynist and the fact that he passed off his father's paintings as his own so now everyone is like "Oooh well Picasso COULD have painted realistically"

LIKE HELL HE COULD

Duchamp though, I like Duchamp....Urinals in museums amuse my 8 year old self GREATLY.

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He's the greatest oil painter who has ever walked the face of the planet,
    Schmid is a fine painter, but I think he'd be the first to tell you that that kind of embarrassing hyperbole does your argument no good.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be fair, not all artist's have had the privledge of a formal education.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sigh..let's not get into THIS, or I'll tell you who the greatest oil painter really is!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just searched him and his work is amazing
    thanks for telling me
    maybe richard schmid has no need for fame

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Pariano- Good point. Why is Art not considered important, and should it be?

Randis- You're right about the marketing, and the fame and skill correlation, but it amazes me, none the less.

CGMonkey- Look at Schmids landscape book and try to not have an experience. My personal experience, the last time I saw Picassos work (I actually didn't know it was his, just saw these drawings in a local gallery) was that I became nauseated. (no exaggeration, literally felt sick). Upon further investigation, it was prints of Picassos work. I'm not sure I understand why technical skill would get in the way of an "experience" if were to compare two portrait drawings of varying levels. Why wouldn't more skill add to the "experience" ? I'm obviously young and naive, teach me.

Elwell- Sorry for having an opinion and voicing it. Just kidding, I'm not sorry. My strong opinion about the excellence of many contemporary painters is what fuels the entire argument.

Sanya- I didn't get excited about Richard Schmid's education, I got excited about the work he produced. Isn't that the point?

Ryer- Hit me with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jetpack42 -- I think you misunderstood me-- not every artist has the privledge of a formal education, and thus I'm not surprised if they don't know about someone like Richard Schmid. I'm not talking about Richard Schmid's education.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I learned about Schmid through Conceptart.org.
    Didn't cost me a penny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sanya- Your response was worded funny. Sorry, I misunderstood. Although he's advertised in Art magazines, which I would imagine only Artists look at... so how are these people missing him? I think even a minimal amount of searching for good oil painters on the internet would run you across his name (assuming you knew nothing). I think people do not value learning from Masters like they used to (to their detriment).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to stir up trouble, but this seems like a really pompous mentality.

"People haven't been exposed to the same shit I've been exposed to? They may have instead spent their time learning about...other things? WHAT A FUCKING INSULT!"

You want to talk about a sad statement of our culture...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Schmid's work goes for good money and it can only do that if he is well enough known, at least among some significant group of moneyed appreciators.

There is a great deal of culture that happens outside of the pneumatic tubes that only traverse between the "major culture centers" of the world. Simply by force of media presence most media consumers are utterly controlled as to what they think is the cultural consensus. This is a self-perpetuating control, because most people simply cannot conduct independent thought and, in fear of their own security as a member of a clued-in set, they repeat the dogma they receive. Thankfully, the internet is very quickly and surgically undermining all this control.

Don't assume because the quality of Schmid's work is currently underappreciated and "underpublicized" (sic) by those for whom quality is synonymous with novelty or politics, that he will not find his proper level. The value of the works of Fechin, Rockwell, and Bougereau, just to name three, have come a long way in a very short time.

For those who do believe that the cultural mandarins are actually depriving the world of joy by their censorship, simply make it a point to expose people to artists like Schmid who you think are deserving of attention. Politics is, after all, only about infecting the person next to you with your meme of choice in order to control reality.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heard of him in passing. Would I be able to instantly recognize his name beforehand?

No.

Why?

I'm studying illustrators, painters come later. My area of preference right now are illustrators.

Read the word that answers your ENTIRE argument.

PREFERENCE.

Like most artists happen to have.

In art history, is richard schmid a blip on the radar? Most likely, no.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've got one of his books "everything i know about painting". It's a great book and is full of good info. Im not so sure about him being the greatest painter ever, that's a highly arbitrary and debatable statement; But i will say i really like the book by him that i've got.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArtZealot- True. The point isn't the statement (though I put it there for effect), the point is the contrast between society (as a whole) getting a huge boner for Picasso, or Warhol, but not even knowing who Schmid, Lipking, Collins, etc, are. Not even realizing that this work exists.

Omen- Good point, except the part about him being a blip on the radar. lol. His influence is massive, not only through is own work, but in the way he's pushed education.

Kev- good point. It disappoints me that it takes a long time for these things to sort out. Almost like athletes. Everyone is rushing around trying to find the "NEXT HOTTEST ATHLETE" that we forget that we might have the greatest of all time taking the field right in front of us.. except those players get at least SOME credit in the general scheme of things.

Two Listen- you inferred an insult, so your response was to insult? lol Please look up "hypocrite" in the dictionary. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    who?....pass me the ketchup....becuase i'm about to get artistic on these fry's.....my bad! wait i thought were are the greatist painters....of our times.......individually, can i get paid now.

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; January 27th, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: wait is it our or are!!!!shit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are so many paintings out there it's frightening....from unkown artists wich one is the best that guy's our that girls....who was born today. that would make them the better artists!

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; January 27th, 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: elwell is the greatist of book covers.....hi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not gonna lie, had no idea who he was until this very thread. I am an uneducated fool.

You can't know about something until you're told about something. Don't go into orbit just because someone hasn't heard of your favesies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I have his book and plus, he lives right here in the state I live at .

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Omen- Good point, except the part about him being a blip on the radar. lol. His influence is massive, not only through is own work, but in the way he's pushed education.
    Small fish, BIG pond.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.