Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Trying to narrow down an atheist research paper

I'm wanting to write a research paper that illustrates my belief that theism is
    not a force for good in the world, but rather the opposite. I don't want to be
    too broad or philosophical though, of course, but rather would narrow down to something I can do in a ten-page paper quite easily. Any suggestions of narrowed-down issues would be helpful.

And if you know who Christopher Hitchens is, I'm of the same anti-theist mindset
    as he, if that gives you any idea of what I'm looking for. I'm only asking on here
    because I am having trouble making up my mind about what to do, and I am wanting to learn more about this stuff as well through this paper, so I'm not
    really sure what all the issues may be; I'm hoping you all could give me ideas
    for this reason. Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    How about writing something on the post 9/11 rise of the New Atheism (Hitchens, Dawkins, Daniel Dennet, Sam Harris, etc.).

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    (And, in case you're not already familiar with PZ, http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    So you want to hold the position that theism is bad but you don't know the reasons why? You can't really start with a conclusion and then find support, it has to be the other way around. So what you should do is research the effects of theism on societies around the world.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    I always pray for an answer to my problems...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    What Caw said. Find a subject you're interested in (which is the benefit or harm theism contributes to society), then research to find specific historic examples and what famous philosophers have had to say on the matter, then you form your own opinion.

What you'll end up finding in this case is that theists have done both great evils and great goods. As would be predicted, theists would generally argue that the good is greater and atheists would generally argue that the evil is greater (though truth be told it's irrelevant). If I were you I would probably choose a different focus.

Also, if this is a research paper, then your opinion needs to be put aside for the time being. I would recommend choosing a subject like the one Elwell mentioned. Small time frame, easy to research, and still relates to your initial interest.
    Last edited by Ian Barker; January 27th, 2011 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks
    Just compile all the threads you post into one big, ol' honkin' paper.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to That fat kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm wanting to write a research paper that illustrates my belief that theism is
    not a force for good in the world, but rather the opposite. I don't want to be
    too broad or philosophical though
    This whole premise and endeavor is philosophical in nature so I'm confused. What is "good" or "evil" is not scientific, but purely philosophical and a personal morality.

You'll be missing a major player if you ignored Ayn Rand, Nietzsche and Joseph Stalin.

Last edited by Izi; January 27th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks

ps: Ayn Rand is a poopie head.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    [QUOTE=ps: Ayn Rand is a poopie head.[/QUOTE]

Dude how can you say that? Without Ayn Rand there would be no Rush lyrics.

Thanks
    I'm going to make the most provocative comment I have ever made on the internet. I do not care for Rush. There, it's out and there's no going back.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    she never killed or violently injured anyone. So why exactly would you say that, what would motivate you? The same freedom of speech that she exercised with eloquence and thoughtfulness?
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Kev's Thesis-O-Matic: The moral value of the scientific method is more/less moral than moral values that arise from societal norms which have no scientific basis.

Oh, you said 10 pages.

Thesis-O-Matic defective.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    If everyone was atheist im sure we would find plenty of new reasons to kill one another.. my science is true and yours is false..

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Weren't you going to write a paper about art? If you're asking a forum for help then you have not researched the topic enough, or have enough to say on the matter yourself to write a 10 page paper.
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ningishzidda View Post
    What is "good" or "evil" is not scientific, but purely philosophical and a personal morality.
    Sam Harris makes a pretty compelling counter argument on the importance of science in regards to right and wrong, & good and evil, in his book "the moral landscape", and in this TED talk:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/sam_harris_...t_s_right.html

-Edit- oops, CaW got in before me
    Last edited by gjpetch; January 27th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks
    I'm not really knowledgeable in the particular subject area you are looking to research, but I do have a more general suggestion: don't try to prove it to be a force of good. Good is such a vague term to begin with, and you only have ten pages to work with. It seems like you will just waste time by not only trying to show that your idea or person was responsible for this change, but that this change was good.

Instead, why not try to showcase the impact that something made in its field? That can more easily be shown by a shift in tone, or an increase in number of papers written, as compared to before. Impact is much more quantifiable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaW_ View Post
    You can't really start with a conclusion and then find support, it has to be the other way around.
    Didn't the Mythbusters tear this one apart this one in season 1? First episode, even?
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Here: http://www.iep.utm.edu/

You can't argue against or for theism without being philosophical.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    she never killed or violently injured anyone. So why exactly would you say that, what would motivate you? The same freedom of speech that she exercised with eloquence and thoughtfulness?
    "poopie head" is not really one of the names I have in mind when i think of murderers.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Here: http://www.iep.utm.edu/

You can't argue against or for theism without being philosophical.
    ehh you could find a way. Probably by attributing religion to a biochemical defense mechanism within the brain [which is actually proven], and then showing how that process is detrimental to mental health. You know, how it makes people fly planes into buildings effectively killing themselves, the last thing the brain should want us to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    This whole premise and endeavor is philosophical in nature so I'm confused. What is "good" or "evil" is not scientific, but purely philosophical and a personal morality.
    That's not entirely true, I think. Morals are conflict resolution, and although there are many ways to resolve conflict I think that for any given social species and societal organization there are sets of morals that are more optimal than others. You could use science to model whether this is true and what those sets might be.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Referring to the OP: Get any book (on dead wood!) about the topic and start there. Then get the next, then the next and so on. You have to read a lot if you want to research something and write about it. And as you research, you'll find the topic that interests you, or you can narrow it down at least, and research more specific as you go.

Same for every topic. We did an interaction-design project in uni, and i wanted to do something about the topic dreaming. So, in the first 2,3 Weeks we read everything about our topics we could get our hands on.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaW_ View Post
    I'm going to make the most provocative comment I have ever made on the internet. I do not care for Rush. There, it's out and there's no going back.
    But... But... But... THAT tone!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Check the Durant's The Lessons of History for an opinion contrary to your own.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    How can you even make such a claim without getting philosophical?

Thanks
    As long as you argue honestly any claims you make will be considered. I suggest you look on youtube for "Sam Harris" and "Richard Dawkins".

Or you could just ridicule it like my man Larry
    Last edited by Jason Ross; January 27th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    I don't think I have to be philosophical to show the detrimental effects of religion on the
    world; I mean saying that religion leads to suicide bombings, genital mutilation, etc. all in
    the name of a god isn't really philosophical, it's fact. And it is obviously detrimental to the
    world when you have an event like 9/11 that was driven by religious belief.

Thanks for the links and suggestions so far guys.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremygordon89 View Post
    I mean saying that religion leads to suicide bombings, genital mutilation, etc. all in
    the name of a god isn't really philosophical, it's fact.
    To explain why circumcision is bad, you're going to have to get into morality. Morality is a branch of philosophy. But if all you choose is physical reasons why theism is detrimental, you're going to have a narrow argument. There are more to real world consequences than physical harm. Sure it's easy and doesn't take much explaining to get across that blowing oneself and others up is bad. But religious fundamentalism rarely leads to physical harm in the States. You're going to have to get a little philosophical to explain why this stuff is bad:

The reason is because I could probably take down your essay simply by saying "Theism doesn't inevitably lead to suicide bombing." Which is true, there are plenty of religious people, some fundamentally so, that don't bomb things. Westboro Baptist for example. So you should explain why theism is bad even when the worst of a religion is annoying assholes who protest funerals.

Plus some people, even if they're apathetic to religion, can't see why protesting or teaching kids about the Bible is wrong. In the US we have the right to peaceful assembly as well as freedom of religion. Therefore you have no recourse but a moral argument.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Religion is a subset of ideology. Ideology is the true opiate of the masses and the cause of untold suffering and death. If you add up all the deaths caused by nationalism, religion, and communism in the 20th century... you will have a very strong understanding of how dangerous ideas can be.

Very few minds can divorce themselves from the lure of ideology altogether.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast