Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catish's Collaborative Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Catish's Collaborative Sketchbook

Hello,

Well I didn't think I would be back here ever again. I've had a sketchbook here before, a couple of years back, under a different username. Eventually I stopped using this site because it wasn't helping me anymore. I found out that the direction I was going in was much more personal and really had little to do with hardcore anatomy practice and space marines/wood elfs.

But recently I've been browsing again, just giving advice and help instead of posting stuff.

Anyway, the reason I feel that I want to come back is that it's always useful to get some outsider advice anyway, but the bigger reason is that my approach to drawing has changed and I'm thinking that to continue drawing in my way, I need your ideas. So it kind of is like concept art in a way... (words are written down and pictures are created and improvised upon).

I'm not calling myself an illustrator, but it's similar. I have this broad style that I want to express with others' ideas.

So maybe this will be fun and a new kind of sketchbook. If you'd be so kind as to leave some tidbits - a breif outline, character synopsis, concept, mood etc. and I will post interpretations.

I'm looking for both critiques of drawing skill, but also perhaps the execution of the concept. but sometimes what I draw is just personal to me, so... it's difficult to critique an expression.

Here's some of my recent stuff...

Cheers! here's to making love.

Last edited by Catish; February 25th, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very TimBurton esq
    Seriously if havent seen his stuff and taken a good look at it I think you would enjoy it
    But remember it's important to do realistic stuff too
    If you have done that already I suggest posting it because otherwise you'll be bitched to hi heaven for it until you do

Great stuff, post more

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great 4 me)
    SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
    Very TimBurton esq
    Seriously if havent seen his stuff and taken a good look at it I think you would enjoy it
    But remember it's important to do realistic stuff too
    If you have done that already I suggest posting it because otherwise you'll be bitched to hi heaven for it until you do

Great stuff, post more
    i looked up tim burton's drawings, but i don't see the resemblence that much.

i haven't been able to get to life drawing class for a while now. i'm hoping to start again at a new place soon though.

i would like more to focus on the collaborative/concept aspect of the sketchbook.

thanks for the comment. :-)

my collaborative

join to me to make beautiful drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meant more your line work is similare I guess
    colabs are great too! do you have a personal SB too or you just focusing on this

SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
    I meant more your line work is similare I guess
    colabs are great too! do you have a personal SB too or you just focusing on this
    there are similarities. i'd probably say more in theme and mood though..

nope, i don't have a personal SB.. is that just a private sketchbook? i don't have one anyway. :-) this is my only one on DA. the help i need is not to really make my figures more detailed, but to expand on my composition and expressive ideas.

my collaborative

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep your right.
    I just wasn't sure what you were going for because you were doing figure drawings but they were so stylized.
    Well at least I ment well right?

SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medusoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell, no wood elves, no spacemarines? cīmon, you donīt fit in here ;D
    No, for sure, youīre doing fine, seems like youīve found your style, keep at it but donīt forget to try some things out.
    I mean, how about some fat guys?kids, babies, environments. your work looks good, but something different....
    sorry, i know this was your second post, so you didnīt even had the opportunity to show other stuff up.
    just my coins byebye

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipp Scherer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a nice style that you have there, but HeerleerzeichenS is right though on the subject variety.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting style. I'm finding it a little difficult to see quite what you're going for - obviously you're playing around with the anatomy but it's unclear whether you're aiming for elegantly slender figures or grotesquely malnourished looking ones - currently I'm seeing a mix of both (mostly the former). Stylised is absolutely fine as long as it remains consistent.

For a suggestion on where to go from here... hm... well I'm seeing a lot of figures but not really many 'characters' in your work - I'm just assuming that's what you want as it's the human figure side of concept art. Try approaching the drawing board with a random figure in mind: a warrior, a scientist, a witch - and go all out with designing their face, costume, try to capture their personality and render it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing I thought when I saw the ballerina piece, is "This could be a character for a cartoon / animation movie!" It made me think of the ballet-scenes in the movie Despiccable Me.

So, why not draw a few scenes or storyboards where your character(s) are performing what would seem natural to them? Hope it helps you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    The first thing I thought when I saw the ballerina piece, is "This could be a character for a cartoon / animation movie!" It made me think of the ballet-scenes in the movie Despiccable Me.

So, why not draw a few scenes or storyboards where your character(s) are performing what would seem natural to them? Hope it helps you!

hey mila. thanks for the compliment. i do like the look of despicable me.

you know, for ages my approach has been to just let the characters do what they want on the paper. :-) that's what i usually do. got any other suggestions?

cheers,

my collaborative

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "you know, for ages my approach has been to just let the characters do what they want on the paper. :-) that's what i usually do. got any other suggestions?"

im a big fan of fashion type illustration, heres a link to some really excellent stuff.

http://www.art-dept.com/illustration/index.html

some of it is anatomically correct while other artists try different things. What it all has in common is it makes the people look graceful; some of your heavy lineweights round the faces, and bendy bones in the legs look awkward.
    this one is a particular offender

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296001732

So maybe work on that, otherwise, nice start!

Edit heres some sexy figure drawing from one of the best in the busienss, james jean. some serious skill and practice gone into being able to do this..

http://processrecess.com/figuredrawing/01-03-06.html
    http://processrecess.com/figuredrawing/01-10-06.html

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun style, I like what you have here so far.
    rather than the usual "hey, do some anatomy. lol".
    I think you should do some more traditional life drawing and perspective studies to strengthen your foundation. Sorry- but that's just how I roll!!
    Anyhoo- Glen Keane has some great cartoon / anatomy hybred drawings kicking around.

I think it will help a tonn- especially with your faces, you have a habit of squishy-face.
    eg. In this image your body is heavily stylized but still conforms to perspective and anatomy. The face doesn't/

Hope this helps!

Attached Images Attached Images  

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    Fun style, I like what you have here so far.

I think you should do some more traditional life drawing and perspective studies to strengthen your foundation. Sorry- but that's just how I roll!!
    Anyhoo- Glen Keane has some great cartoon / anatomy hybred drawings kicking around.

I think it will help a tonn- especially with your faces, you have a habit of squishy-face.
    eg. In this image your body is heavily stylized but still conforms to perspective and anatomy. The face doesn't/

Hope this helps!

good point. i have noticed this on the faces. i should make it consistent with my figure's body as well.

cheers.

also, i think i mentioned that my current life drawing class got cancled. so i'm looking for a new one.

if you have any other non-anatomical ideas for me, that would be good. as i'm aiming this to be a collaborative sketchbook where people here give me ideas so i can do more drawings. i want to improve on my expression of other artist's concepts as well as anatomy etc.

cheers,

Last edited by Catish; January 26th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
    my collaborative

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "you know, for ages my approach has been to just let the characters do what they want on the paper. :-) that's what i usually do. got any other suggestions?"

im a big fan of fashion type illustration, heres a link to some really excellent stuff.

http://www.art-dept.com/illustration/index.html

some of it is anatomically correct while other artists try different things. What it all has in common is it makes the people look graceful; some of your heavy lineweights round the faces, and bendy bones in the legs look awkward.
    this one is a particular offender

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296001732

So maybe work on that, otherwise, nice start!

Edit heres some sexy figure drawing from one of the best in the busienss, james jean. some serious skill and practice gone into being able to do this..

http://processrecess.com/figuredrawing/01-03-06.html
    http://processrecess.com/figuredrawing/01-10-06.html

yes, i have been thinking of getting a 0.3 mechanical pencil for thinner outlines. i also plan to do larger drawings which will help make the contours thinner in comparisson.

i'm always making mistakes with anatomy (usually mistakes to do with the symmetry of the figure). it's difficult when you're playing around with a custom structure, and not trying to make it look too detailed, or too simplistic. the balance is tricky to understand sometimes.

great drawings above. i am looking forward to going back to life drawing.

my collaborative

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "it's difficult when you're playing around with a custom structure, and not trying to make it look too detailed, or too simplistic"

Im not sure what a custom structure is, but i definitely agree its hard to know when to stop detailing something to stop it losing its liveliness.

"When drawing or making pictures, there is always a struggle with control. Accidents, chance, and intuition are vital agents against stagnation.
    The trick is to have enough control to make it look like you messed up on purpose."
    J Jean

one tip id offer as a bit of a beginner life drawer myself is just get on with it and not care about the finished result as much as the act.
    it totally chills you out and you can feel your hand learning a little at a time. might help..

btw re not using refererence, i really like the girl in this pic, but that horse has the face of a cow
    i wouldntve liked to see Richard III's face if youd turned up with that for him to ride he'd go bananas
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295974062

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 26th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Catish View Post
    @Missile:

cheers for the comment.

i'm trying to emphasize the elegance and the mobility of my subjects. they tend to look thin, but this is just indicative of the structure and is meant to be a consistant trait of all the figures. what is important is their supple joints and clearly defined anatomy.

it's funny.. people often say, "well where's the characters?", but when i look at each figure i notice that while it's not hugely different, it is unique. so i am going for subtle differences rather than huge ones. i'm always concious of the identity of my characters though... but maybe it's more about a universal humanity. lots of eastern art focuses on representing universal 'human-ness', rather than literay invention.

the clothes look the same but they're symbolic of the mood, behaviour and situation of that particular person.

anyway, this is meant as a collaborative sketchbook. so for people who come to comment, i'm looking for their ideas to help me grow. i see my style as a framework. so if you have any ideas (not stuff like 'scientist', 'warrior' etc. that's too basic and generic) feelings or situations then i would like to illustrate them and put them up here. that's how i want to progress and grow on CA, rather than the usual "hey, do some anatomy. lol".
    Hmm... well, in defence of the standard 'anatomy lol' comments.. it does help to take a look at the human body and get a good grip, so to speak, on how all the parts go together - even if it's just refreshing memory, even if your intention is to turn it into something very stylised. I know it's offputting to hear people suggest something so basic, but it really doesn't hurt to consider it! The alternative is to take a good look at your figures and think about how you can really push your style and develop it - if you're aiming for elegance, consider what people define as 'elegant' and nail it.

I completely understand what you mean about characters and their identities. I'm exactly the same. Unfortunately within the world of concept art, you need clear, visible distinction from one character to the next. You begin to see a character quite differently if you're working up close, creating them, for a long time versus someone just viewing them for the first time. If your work is stylished you have to push it extra hard in certain ways - the face, the clothes, pose and expression.

Just suggestions from an outside perspective, mate. You can ignore it. Nobody is going to force you to alter your style into something you don't want, but nothing stops you from trying something out.

As you were looking for ideas - two conflicting suggestions combined in one or a separate pair, I'd be interested to see how you depict 'pride' and 'disgust'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there mate,

Thanks a lot for visiting my sb mate. i really appreciate it.

when i was looking through your sb i was saying to myself "oh my my i love these stuff!" man, you got a style of your own and thats what matters. You anatomical knowledge seems really cool and its good to see how you integrate that to your style. but i still suggest you do do more in depth studies since it'll help you immensely. of course that knowledge will help you to stylise your pieces more and more. I find these pieces funny as well so its really appealing to me. here try this book mate. i guess it suits your needs; "Anatomy for artists by Elliot Goldfinger" im also going to start studying this book since it covers the muscular system in depth. for improving pencils i recommend "Pencil Drawing Techniques by David Lewis". actually,i recently started to refer it and i love it.

Hope this helps mate. ill drop by later and check out more funny pieces of your work and ill try to be helpful as much as possible while im here. Just keep up the good work and dont ever give up!

Last edited by devastacio; January 27th, 2011 at 02:03 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmm.. read through your statement.. mmm for the moment maybe just draw for a while.. I see lots of curved lines, you could try some straight lines mixed into your figures. Have fun.. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man this is cool way of practicing. keep doing more everyday if you can. trust me itll pay off handsomely.

guys, i need more ideas - concepts.. feelings, to work from.
    here's an idea. try to come up with some short story. keep it simple. if you cant come up with a new one try to use an existing one. some story that fancies you, and try to draw it out piece by piece using your imagination. if you could, try to do a simple paint as well. I think itll be a really cool way to test out and push your skills. just a suggestion.

well ill see ya around mate. keep up the good work.

My Sketchbook

Check out my friends?
    Lt.Plissken | Ramalooke | ThomasM | shiNIN | kiwigarbage | Kungfoowiz | Bethany K. | Sivonja | equilerex

What man is a man, who does not make the world, better. -Kingdom of Heaven

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by devastacio View Post
    Man this is cool way of practicing. keep doing more everyday if you can. trust me itll pay off handsomely.

here's an idea. try to come up with some short story. keep it simple. if you cant come up with a new one try to use an existing one. some story that fancies you, and try to draw it out piece by piece using your imagination. if you could, try to do a simple paint as well. I think itll be a really cool way to test out and push your skills. just a suggestion.

well ill see ya around mate. keep up the good work.

i need an idea for the story. lol. if you give it to me, i'll try to do some pictures.

my collaborative

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you back at CA, here's a small story you could work on. It's a little sad but the subject matter is fun.

http://www.sffworld.com/authors/g/gr...ion/four1.html

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some interesting poses going on here. The characters are simple yet intriguing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments. There is an impressionist artist I'd like you to look at for a challenge... John Atkinson Grimshaw. Your style would work well with supernatural forms I think; can you draw a fairy like his painting of Midsummer night?

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i adore your style and characters!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hididiliho

so I know you mentioned that you do not like the " do more lifedrawings practice realistic stuff"-speech BUUUUT: the thing is even if you try to achieve a unique stile its fundamental to know real anatomy it will help you alot to develop your stile further ...and than again as Space Marines are friggin awesome ...I mean c`mon 10 guys in front of a mile high chapel defending it against a horde of thousands of abominations .... EPIC ...all I say ;-P

so long
    Seb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment in my SB. I like you're cartoony style you've got goin here, seems very original in my opinion, but where are the guys? A world with only women would be catasrtophic without men bein there to shut their ideas down

Keep postin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bloody hell that is disturbing :0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should premise this critique by saying that in my own time I make work that is distorted and ignores a lot of rules of anatomy and I do not work in the game industry or film industry where strict adherence to those rules is needed. For the most part, you won't find much distorted stuff in my sketchbook, because I use my sketchbook as a place for mostly studies both online and IRL.

In the commercial illustration field, comic books, animation and low brow art, I find a lot of the kind work you are producing here is incredibly popular and I would not try to convince you to produce anything in another style, because it has the potential for success.

That being said...

It feels like you are distorting stuff that doesn't need to be distorted some times. Distortion should come about because you are trying to highlight something about movement, pose or character- alot of this stuff looks really contorted, which I don't think you are going for.

Your faces read like they are being pulled and stretched as a result of movement like dance or running or something, but the bodies are static and just standing there.

As for the male figure, I would suggest moving the pectoral muscles up further on the chest so that they don't look like small female breasts. There is nothing wrong with androgyny but if you really want your male figures to look like males and not just females with penises- you are going to have to play with cliche male stuff, like broad shoulders, bigger hands and feet, prominent jaw etc.

Request: do some portraits in your style based off photos.

ps. sorry for the big chunk of text

33. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voohoo voohoo good ...

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4