Am I on the right track?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am I on the right track?

Still working on this. I'm hoping I'm almost done.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too bad of a start. Interesting setting, interesting character, and interesting approach to color. As far as it goes, I think you could use a little less purple in the image - I understand its the color of the light source/magic, but right now its making the character look purple-skinned (which she very well could be). For instance, its even illuminating portions of her back/hip that would be regular fleshtones. Treat it more like you treated the creature under her boot and illuminate the edges. Or, if she really is purple-skinned, then maybe a different choice in the color of magic should be chosen, as she's blending in too much with the cave beside/behind her, and things like her gloves are just adding too much purple as well. Or, if you're dead set on the color for the magic as well as the purple skin, you may have to drop the saturation of colors in her skin and boost the saturation of the magic to help separate the sections. As of right now, everything is just generally getting lost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I was actually going to do that today Too much Fricken purple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some confusing elements going on here for me. Some portions are rendered very well. So much better than others portions, in fact, that it almost looks as though it were a team project. The woman's arms and hands, for instance, are quite well drawn; the hands of the creatures do not show the same level of spacial and anatomical comprehension. I'd suggest working on these. Try to find some reference; your own hands in a mirror would work for lack of anything else.

Also, I'm not sure what it is that she is surrounded by. It needs some clarification. I'd need to know what it is before I can make any suggestions as to how it can be clarified. It's far too bulky and structured for a cape, too bottom heavy for wings, and the way the structure rests on its points makes it look sort of like a chair, but a chair makes no sense in this context so I'm just not sure.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've done the same styled creature feet for a long time. I guess it's about time to branch out lol.

They are wings. They originally looked like this but nobody but me liked them like that so I changed them and now I don't like them. -sigh-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first question that comes to mind is why she's posing like a stripper in such an odd location. The second is how we can see her left leg in full profile (right up to the hip) while her pelvis is at 3/4. Looks painful.

Not sure what's really going on in terms of storytelling in the piece. Far as I can tell, she got halfway down a cramped passageway with her pets/minions, and just randomly picked a spot to play with magic. There doesn't seem anything special about the location, which adds to the feeling of randomness. It would be nice if there were more clues in the pic as to what the heck is going on.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really don't have a great answer for that. There's no great story behind it; she's just lighting up a dark cave. :/

As for the hips, I am very aware of that as well and wish I had changed it earlier on. I really just wanted the shoe to show. At this point, however, I've spent too much time on it and am tired of it. Ready to start something else. I just want it to be decent and done. I am not at the level of exceptional by any means.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.