Sketchbook: Halp it's a sketchbook - C&C?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Halp it's a sketchbook - C&C?

Hey. So i decided to start a new thread for more serious pictures and painting of such, my other one was full of bad doodles that didn't have anything to do with anything other than something to do when i was bored. The main reason i wanted to start this new one though was because i had a sort of 'realizing' today. I started an oil painting, a copy of Leonardo Da Vinci ofcourse as he's my god pretty much XD and he's just so amazing. Then i looked on here and found many great artists and just wanted to get better. And viola, new thread for better arts.

I haven't been on here in a long time, mostly because i couldn't do to much art due to school, but I'm going to try to get more 'learning' pieces done now on the weekends and whatever other time i have.

My history with art = started drawing when i was a kid, never stopped. Drew pegasi and pikachu's back then and then moved on to more subjects, dragons, other animals, and every once in a while, a human! Got better over time and started working in more mediums, watercolors, pencil, colored pencil, pastels occasionally, and one of my favorites, acrilics. Then, winter of last year, i started my first oil painting, and let me tell you, it was AMAZING!!! I'm still working on that painting but i got a still life (not a very good one) finished and a quick sketch. I love oils soo much. And as i may have written above, i started a new oil painting today (just sketched it out though) since my other one wasn't completely dry. I've been going to the same art teacher (apart from school) for as long as i remember now. She's a great teacher and has taught me so much.

And to stop ranting, This thread is going to be trying to learn more rather than posting random doodles, i'll be posting studies, paintings, and such and an occasional stupid doodle just for fun.

If you want to see my other arts (doodles and fail pictures and other stupidness you can check that out = here

C&C very much welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by drobyazko; June 14th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll start with some paintings and pictures i've done with refs from last year, all made from around summer to winter.

Here you have a commission of two dogs. A borzoi portrait i made for mom. Several speed pictures of animals, all timed but i won't bore you with the time for each picture, but they were all made with black and white charcoal on cardboard (I really love working on cardboard for some reason, it just works). My quick sketch of a horse with oils on cardboard (oils and cardboard didn't go as well together as i thought they would XD but hey, i'm at the experimental stage with oils so i'm allowed to do stuff like that XD). And a stag with colored pencils on colored paper. All of these were made with reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A friend asked me to make a few pictures for her for her show (and she gave me an awesome giant sketchbook to make them in! =D ). I've made five pictures, three portraits and two garden/rose pictures. Of the five, this one is my favorite. It's of the person who plays a character named William in her play she wrote (yes knowing the name is neccessary XD). This makes me really happy. Bad photo though..it looks better in real life.

Charcoal on paper. It took less than an hour. Used ref from a photo i took of the person, but changed a few things to make him have a slightly bigger smile rather than a blank smile.

Last edited by drobyazko; February 3rd, 2011 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started painting this today. It's a copy of leonardo da vinci's lady with ermine i think it's called? Well in the original she's holding an ermine, but i'm doing just the portrait that you see here. (this is the painting i was talking about in the first post, i sketched this out that day).

I have an art class every sunday with an awesome teacher and that's where i'm painting this along with many other paintings.
    So, this is it after an the first actual painting session. As you see i got the background and hair and neck mostly done except for the other layer of her bead necklace. Will work on the actual face next week unless i'm going to work on my other portrait (the first ever painting i started with oils, haven't finished it yet). There's the ref pic at the side, it's small but that's okay. Oils on watercolor paper i believe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photoshop is blocked on my computer (very annoying) so sadly i'm going to have to write the description first and then all the pics will come after that. Okay. Ready?

I'll start of with a little doodle i made today (just now actually) of my little brother while babysitting him. Doesn't look too much like him...but that's okay, he was moving around a lot.

Next is a little thing i made last night before going to bed. Pencil and white charcoal on cardboard. Really wanted to draw a feather...it's pretty small.

Then, two statue heads. One that i made last year and never got to finishing (the one with the beard that's not done) and the other i started last week and am planning on finishing some time... Using photos dad made of the statues at museums as reference.

Then my first oil still life...not that good but i'm getting better. I'm starting a new still life next sunday, the still life looks AWESOME! really, i can't wait.

And now my first ever oil painting (the first one i started, not the first i finished obviously). Finished it today. I love this painting overall. It's a copy of Jane Allnutt by Thomas Lawrence. I'm sort of obsessed with this painting =P For sure there will be more of it later on.

And sort of an update on the Leonardo copy. Started getting the face done. So just need the nose and mouth part and i suppose it'll be about done. I'm going to be doing this one at home now when i have time so i can work on the still life at my teachers now.

That's all for today. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made this yesterday night with pastels. Around 4 hours, more or less, probably more. On 18 x 24 watercolor paper. Mom and i say that this is an ancestor of ours. Just finished up some details on his sleeve just now. The photo killed it a bit...might maker another one like this later.(actually)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick speedpaint i made yesterday since i don't have anything else to put up and didn't do anything else really. Made in photoshop, very quickly, only a few hours. Took a picture of myself for reference, but it doesn't look like me XD of course. So until i have something to show..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick cherub i made during art class since i had nothing else to do. There were two of these cherub angel things so i picked up one and drew it. Around 30 mins i'm guessing. Had to restart about three times cause it wasn't working. All pencil on plain paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't done anything good in a while and had an urge to paint something (some sort of animal) in oils today. It took me FOREVER to find something that I wanted to paint (never thought i was so picky) and ended up deciding on this, an akita that lives in my neighborhood. Her name is Elli if you want to know. =P
    I really enjoyed painting this, it's not finished though obviously. A new style, i don't think I ever painted this way--an underpainting before doing the details. But anyways, it took about an hour, the camera killed it of course, not the right lighting at all...
    This canvas actually had a painting on it, I've been trying to paint something on top of it for ages now, so happy i finally did XD.
    Hope you like it! C&C 100% welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's Elli again! 8D She's such an awesome dog. Here are some more quick late night paintings I've made of her. The first is a bad pastel picture of her...don't really like it. I'm guessing it took about an hour at bout midnight.
    And the second is another oil WIP. Also not finished and I'll add finishing touches when it dries completely in a few weeks. It's Elli with a friend's mom hugging her.

The photos aren't that good...somewhat blurry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are two more things i'm working on. The first is a painting i've been promising my mom for about two years now...did this today. I sitll need to add details to it so i'll do that when it dries. Oil on a plaing super demensions canvas.
    And the second is another portrait i'm doing with my art teacher...It's bad..Don't judge me..Actually, nevermind, tear it apart! Oils on watercolor paper i think. (Oh and don't bother looking at the face eyes/etc placement, i know that that's off and will fix when i paint it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this. Oils on canvas, don't know how long it took (all i know is that I finished after midnight and that it took me about an hour and a half to figure out what my subject would be before i started painting). Anyways, this is a mask my granparents baught me when they went on thier cruise about the Mediterannean.
    I for some reason made the mask itself shaped more like my face XD It's not the shape of the actual mask
    It's a half still-life...because i took a photo of the mask hanging on the wall so it wouldn't accidentally fall down and wake everyone up (it's really heavy). I should have made the painting itself a bit darker, it's too light compared to the ref photo..but that's allright...The camera of course also killed it...

Last edited by drobyazko; March 31st, 2011 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally finished this today. It's been drying for a bit and i had only the mouth/chin/nose are to finish...it looked better before XD Oils on canvas, a copy of Leonardo Da Vinci's Lady with Ermine. I'm making a series of portraits, ther'll be about 10, more or less, but probably more. I'm going to be using this series to get better so critique would be awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huge update. First a painting i made for my mom for her birthday in a few days and the details of the hummingbird. Next some paintings of Elli which i believe i put up before but now they're finished although it's probably hard to tell the difference between then and now, i didn't change too much. And lastly some quick small pictures made from leftover paint after i finished the hummingbird--had a lot of extra green/black/blue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animals on carboard are great! Love the horse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vshen: thanks

Copy of a self-portrait by Courbet. I wanted something where i could add lots of green to the face and experiment with that since i have never really done that except for a failed pic of Medusa....Anyways, it was really fun to make (as well as scary once painted in the eyes). I know there's a problem with his left hand and nose, and i also used the wrong kind of blue...meh. I shall make another copy sometime in the future and fix those things. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made this today, acrilics on the back of a giant triscuit box. (they work better on this stuff than oils). Reference used. Only used 2 colors and white (and yellow but just for the eyes). That's all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry to do this to your eyes, but Clopin's been bothering me all week now and wouldn't leave me alone until i drew him...and then the scanner killed the colors and he kept bothering me to fix them and this is as good as i could get them. It's made with highlighter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made this during art class since i had nothing else to do. Fake apple and pears i found around the room and just positioned and drew with pencil/colored pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same as above but with more stuff and the same amount of time and not as good as the other one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick colored pencil (and white charcoal) piece I did yesterday night. Used a calendar picture for ref. I went right in with the colors which is why some parts are off (like the nose which my dad pointed out)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished this today, a mother's gift for mom since i had nothing else...heheh.. Acrylics. I didn't really like this at first but now it's okay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be able to draw/paint more now that AP's are over. So happy.
    The first here is a sketch i did in art today. We have nothing to do now so we're sketching each other XD
    And then i have a painting i made last night. About 2ish hours, more or less? I don't know...It's a copy of Girl with a Pearl Earing, also added a close-up. Actually my third copy i made of this painting..and i still fail...I'm going to overpaint it again on this canvas when it dries and fix it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while. The past month was quite busy with finals and other things so there wasn't much time to do anything, not even random sketches! This I started after ap art was finished and there was nothing else to do during class. I shall try to finish it soon, hopefully tomorrow....I like it so far. Using colored pencil on black paper and a ref I found on google.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished dog portrait.
    Two portraits of people i made in art class once again since there was nothing much to do.
    And a tree study also made when nothing to do during class. Teacher took us out around campus to draw. Pen, possibly sharpie, don't remmeber.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No new traditional stuff yet, though I should have two things by the end of the week. Since my new refixed computer I've been experimenting in gimp since I don't have photoshop anymore. So here are a few things I've made that I like.
    The first I finished yesterday. It's my friend's kitty Chance. Gimp didn't have pen pressure sensetivity at first so smudge tool was overused a lot..but i got it to work so this may be the last pic using it.
    I lied, there is a traditional piece. Made this with acrylics on th back of a piece of giant triscuit box. Not that good I guess...
    I made a lot of ships on gimp but this is the only one I have saved...sadly it's probably the 2nd worst of the ones i made (will put up the better ones later)
    I also made my first ever animation yesterday. i don't know if it'll work here...but i'll try. Only 6 frames..sorta fast..and the tails blah, but i still like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two lions watching over their kingdom. An oil painting i made yesterday, about 5-6 hours i suppose, using only three colors not including white. It's sort of small so I couldn't go into it and add details as much. It was supposed to be a quicky but that didn't work out XD Using two of my own photos of lions from two different zoos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been playing pirates with my lil bro for the past two days, he calls me 'Captain Pirate' XD It's awesome. So here is a b/w charcoal on cardboard of him being a pirates apprentice since he is not yet an official pirate. (the smudge on the bandana was an earlier pic i decided to erase but wouldn't complete do so..)

This was made just to get rid of extra paint from the lion painting in the previous post. A bunch of meerkats with extra oil paints.

Last edited by drobyazko; June 29th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a WIP of my brother (again). I've been planning to do this painting for a while, a portrait of my bro in Thomas Lawrence's Jane Allnutt style, and when my mom commissioned or rather requested that I paint his portrait I knew it was time. Oils on square canvas. This is what it looks like right now, I'm going to work on it some more tomorrow hopefully.

I finally finished this one. Been working on it for a loooong long time now. Acrylics. My teacher says it looks like it's made in the Spanish style. XD Alright.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the past two weeks I've been taking a college class so lots of paintings to update on here. They are all made with oils, some on canvas, some on paper.
    First I'll start with the still lives. Our first one was black and white, i really like this one.

Then a color one which I don't really like but don't not like..it's in the middle somewhere. Then one where we had to incorporate things from three pictures into the painting and make it look 'modern/contemporary/picasso'like. So making me do something like that ends up looking like poop...And manequins in the dark. Turned out okayish i guess..

Then we had a model come in and we had a figure painting day. This one i like a lot.

Then we had an experimenting day where I made some borzois (awesome dogs). The colors are off in the photo. It was fun, and the director of the programm really really liked it so i gave it to her. And after that is a quick print-like painting based on the russian fairytale/story of 'red sails'. Done with a pallet knife so it's a bit messy.

Then a day of self portrating. It turned out alright I guess. The colors again are a bit off. It looked better in real life and close up...
    And then after that, I once more had extra time and made a copy of the girl with a pearl earring (again), but this time, from memory! dun dun duuuuuuuuun XD I was doing alright until i got to the face..I could not remember exactly the expression on her face, though i guess it's good that it didn't turn out better than the paintings where i looked at the picture...

And lastly I have an unknown collaboration painting. The instructor made us switch halfway through making our paintings (i'm quite glad i didn't do so well at the first half) and after we switched we had to add/take away parts from the painting and this was my finished piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.