Colour/Lighting advice?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Colour/Lighting advice?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colour/Lighting advice?

I've started working out what the colour scheme for this piece is going to be (Colour mapping?)
    I want it to be warm and look like the lamp is the only light source, but I'm not sure if what I have works.

I feel as though the light on the cat should look bold/chiaroscuro but i'm not sure if I'm right or how to execute that. I also wouldn't be suprised if I'm made a few lighting errors because i'm a scrub at this :<

Any help on this would be amazing

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the cats head needs a shdow side away from the light. The books would castr a shadow on the cat so you might want to reconsider their placement.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now, it looks like there's ambient light in addition to the lamp because the scene is so bright. If the lamp were truly the only light source, the cat's back should be extremely dark with only a stark outline where the light illuminates its fur. What might help is to create another layer, make it all black, and use an airbrush erase and gently erase from the lamp outwards. This wouldn't be used in the final painting, just to help you give a sense of darks, shadows, and lights.

Overall the painting should be much darker and higher contrast to achieve the look of the lamp being the only light source.

I hope that helps, I do like your composition, the lamp has a nice relation to the cat's head. Would love to see further progress!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to landylachs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took advice from both of you!

I shuffled the lamp over to the side a bit, so I *think* I won't have to deal with shadow from the books. I didn't spend much time patching up the damage from moving it though, so try to ignore it for now
    And then I tried Landylachs' idea of erasing away a layer of black (I hope I did it right! xD)

Howzit looking now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the lamp is the only lightsource then the cat needs to be more rimlit. What is the part of the body on the book? If it is a limb it is too fat, if it is the lower part of the body it looks really uncomfortable and there are some proportion issues.

So is this image that of a cat looking into a mirror and seeing Bast in the reflection?

Name:  sulphurPaintover.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  56.0 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Iridyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I never really thought of that, but I know what you mean and I agree so I'll try and follow your advice I think I wanted the body mass thing to be his bum/lower body, but I couldn't find a decent reference photo so no wonder it looks odd xD

And yes it is, the books are going to be books about Egypt and sacred animals to make that a bit clearer. I want it to be symbolic of how history can change the way you look at things, including everyday objects/creatures like this housecat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Iridyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow these are great photos, thanks alot for the effort! I think after looking at those I think I'll approach the 'paws at the front' route - it looks convincing and will be the easiest to implement (I don't have alot of time to work on this )

Thanks a million for all your great help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks much better! And I second what Iridyse said about rimlighting - that's what I was trying to describe in my first post, but didn't know the term.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to landylachs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More detail + attempt at rim lighting on the 'real' cat (is it too subtle?)

Used ImagineFX textures for the wood on the mirror and table (not sure about the mirror texture, maybe looks too line-y?) Never really used textures before so I'm concerned as to when it becomes 'cheating'.

Also made the cat sitting with its paws in front to look more natural/make it easier. Only issue is that it left alot of space that I decided to fill with loose paper (which would have egyptian cat research on). Does it work?

Any comments welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The white on the reflection cat's chest is way too bright. I'd tone it down to keep the focus on the face, and also maybe add some shadowing to the face/necklace so that it looks more three dimensional. The book on top needs some light on it too and I'd brighten a little of the wooden surface close to the cat's neck so that the whole area (mirror frame and wooden table?)doesn't feel like a single value. Maybe the texts could be come sort of spells invoking Bastet?
    Looking really nice overall though

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Iridyse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started doing a few of those things you suggested, Iridyse

I need you guys to help me with something else too
    I need to wrap front around the curvature of the book pages (aswell as the stacked book bindings) but I can't seem to figure out how the heck to do it
    Any ideas there?

I've put in some placeholder font for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may have gotten a bit out of control on this but here is an assortment of doodles. I draw as I think so I included my thought process doodles.
    1. is a blocky form drawing of the cat. When painting your initial forms, I find it helpful to think of the object as a simple wooden shape with slabs of tone, as you get more into detailing and things you can work on the more refined tonal changes and detailing. The chest area of your cat is completely unrefined- you basically made a cone, cats so have shoulders and stuff. It's less apparent on really fluffy cats, but this is a short haired one so you should refine that area.
    This is a really tricky image to tackle because your trying to decipher the light from behind. This led me to drawing 2.
    2. I realized your inital perspective was off. the cat in the mirror is looking over the shoulder of the cat, not at him. His head is also too low in the frame compared to the perspective

3. Having said all that, I think it's a bit late to make any major changes to the image so I went about your initial question of lighting. With a single light source like a lamp I would simplify the color scheme. Yellow-orange lighty bits, Purply- blue dark bits. I added a simple overlay layer (as seen in image 3) I included the layer, and the result.

Sorry so long- I tend to ramble. Your last question- the text, If your using a newer version of photoshop you can just use the warp tool to wrap your text. Edit-> transform -> warp.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.