Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    In general, keep it up
    About your cousin's portrait... As Missile said. It's not bad, it shows character - but of course it's flat, you mainly used lines... Showing form isn't very easy but it's vital. If you use pencil or pen, it's best if you use hatching and properly at that. It's easy to do the wrong way. Parallel lines flatten the face, it has few flat surface, the nose, the eyes, the cheeks, the chin, everything has curves. I can't talk about it much more, I barely touched hatching...
    The nose is a tricky part, you can't draw a nose from the front with lines well, it has few edges. Especially the sides need care, it has nothing near to edges, you should be subtle there.
    And the eyes... They don't have such sharp outer eyes. They are turned away from us when we look at someone from the front. They often do look sharp because of the eyelashes but beginners often think they are sharp by themselves and it show in their drawings.

Oh, you are 26? I wish I started drawing when I was 26 But it's not like I plan to die in the near future so it's okay... Never think about such things ("I'm too old, others are, like, awesome when they are as old as me"), it's not healthy You will improve and your skills will be yours even if you are 30 or 40 and you probably will have many, many years to draw and improve. I know I will, drawing is too important to me even if I don't put enough effort into it yet.

Good luck

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks ShiNIN!

Bird skull studies. I'm least happy with the bald eagle frontal view.

Bald Eagle skull ref here

Great horned owl skull ref here
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    An acrylic painting I've been working with on and off for a few years. It's not that I've lost interest in it. I just often get the feeling like I don't know what I'm doing. XD
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    A character idea done without a reference...quite obviously XD Although it is suppose to be more comic-y but still.

Ahwell, sometimes ideas just don't wait for you to find the perfect ref.
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    ...I'm gonna go back to my people studies now -_-
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    hey man, thanks for stopping by sketchbook!
    - I am really liking those skull studies! Keep it up, and don't slack ! Oh by the way... Listen to shiNIN, he has some really good tips in that reply.. Peace!
    >>>Sketchbook<<<
    "First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ogihara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for stepping by my sketchbook! I've looked through yours and you seem to be on the right track. I like the colors in your first post. I would advice you to study more anatomy and poses, maybe attend a croquis course? I certainly know that I've learned tons by doing so.
    SKETCHBOOK below. C&C appreciated! UPDATED 21/04 2011
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=1#post3103356

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CornMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    my ears twitched when you said 'i dont know what im doing' with the acrylic, be confident in the fact that none of us do when we havent practiced something a lot until it almost becomes habit,and even then perhaps not.

If theres a partciular thing you think you CAN draw or feel like you know where to go step by step such as people for example,consider this "how did i start to draw people?" landscapes,people,vehicles,scenes,places,monsters work the same as trying new mediums attack it with all your experimental force and pay attention to what happens. If you're having fun,you're doing it right :3

go get em,tiger.

Will
    Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FootstepsBeckon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The shading of the shark's mouth is messy, but putting it abstractly, it gives the mouth a lot of power and "energy", if you know what I mean. I am not really good at shading myself, but I can tell you that you shouldn't rush the hatching process. Try to put the lines in harmony with the form (e.g. hatching straight lines on curved surface creates a flat look, which is un-harmonious with the curved form).

Edit:

In the end, there really is no right way to approach hatching. You can go all crazy with your hatching and use your values to still bring out the form. But your lines still have to convey form in some way (curved, flat, etc).
    Last edited by Vay; April 25th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments on my SB, fellow Fruit-Brethren!

You've got a pretty sweet inclination for comic stylings. You could try getting more value into your work rather than focusing entirely on contour. Keep working!
    MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

16. The Following User Says Thank You to karmiclychee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thx for posting on my sketchbook!
    those bird skull studies are awesome! keep going and you shall be totally friggn awesome :XD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!
    You have a good start here. Just keep studying! Practice makes perfect!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sketchibo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Ogihara: Thanks! I do plan to do more skulls soon, some reptile one for sure and some kinda mammals

@Cornman: no problem, thanks for swinging by this way. Once I feel like i've brushed up on the basics I will probably go back to colours. What is a croquis course? I currently don't have the means or location for life drawing classes but once I do I am definitely taking them up. Currently I'm just doing gesture drawings from things like posemaniacs and pixelovely.

@FootstepsBeckon: thanks. That's actually really great advice.

@Vay: Yeah I kind of rushed that one. But I will definitely try your advice on my next pen piece

@KarmicLychee: yeah fruit! *fistbump* And thanks so much. I'm actually really aiming for a comic book style. I suppose I probably should limit myself and what not, I'm sure I will eventually try a more painterly style but I'm happy with where things are headed at the moment. One of the reasons I'm doing my own studies is to do my own comic some day actually.

@Tronrobot and Sketchibo: thanks!
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Wooden Mango great work to start off with. On the first page I like your painting style. Your color choices set a dark and mellow mood. Work with this style and build upon it. I dont know how experienced you are with digital media but I feel like you still need to work on your paintings. They seem flat in a lot of the areas. I believe you do not have a great sense of volume and form. I myself am still struggling in this area. If you work in these areas I know that it will greatly helping out when you work on your paintings. I really love your line quality in the eagle skull study! I would like to see more sketches like these! Keep it up! and like the rest of them say, keep practicing!
    List of Books & Tools That Have Helped Me! (Art Resource Links)

Daily Rituals Sheet
    (For building good habits)

My Sketchbook

YogJoshi.com (portfolio)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    good start! whatever you do don't stop drawing and painting and dont give up as frustrating as it can get...and trust me it will get frustrating many times but thats when we grab it and punch it and get better!
    My Sketchbook

ARTSTATION https://www.artstation.com/dannykundzinsh

WEBSITE http://www.dannykundzinshart.com

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast