Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: NSFW (nudity)-Sketches by a mango

Thanks
    @ Rain Walker: Haha, you're right. Just sometimes I get a little discouraged you know? Especially when I read people's bios and they've been at in since 12. Or even yet, I see 16 year old's who have some pretty awesome stuff. But you're right, I am 26 and have plenty of time to improve. And my friend pointed out that as an adult I have the benefit of being more self aware and critical of my work rather than "just doing it one way because that's the way I like to do it"

@Nickybeats: thanks so much! I really appreciate that.

@ Neszumi Works: Thanks so much for the resources. I saw you post the shapes tutorial on another thread and had been considering trying it out. Also that anatomy one is great!
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So the first one is a a portrait of my cousin. I was pretty pleased with at the time but now it seems pretty flat too me. Also? that was the worst paper choice for pencil XD

The second is some 3D forms studies.. and some kissing robots.
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    I like the bold colours combined with surreal elements in the earliest work you've put up. As for the more recent stuff - the picture of your cousin is good, I recommend doing some more portraits if you get the chance. In regards to it being 'flat'.. this is tricky to critique without knowing what your cousin looks like but try paying attention to the shape of the face and slightly exaggerating the shadows - generally beneath the cheekbones, to the sides of the forehead, around the eyes, under the nose (and in thise case, parts of the hair too).

Hope you don't mind but here's a paintover to try to show you what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/px0K4.jpg

Keep updating!
    Last edited by Gavage; April 17th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    Been awhile but here is some more shape drawing exercises, figure studies and still lifes
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    In general, keep it up
    About your cousin's portrait... As Missile said. It's not bad, it shows character - but of course it's flat, you mainly used lines... Showing form isn't very easy but it's vital. If you use pencil or pen, it's best if you use hatching and properly at that. It's easy to do the wrong way. Parallel lines flatten the face, it has few flat surface, the nose, the eyes, the cheeks, the chin, everything has curves. I can't talk about it much more, I barely touched hatching...
    The nose is a tricky part, you can't draw a nose from the front with lines well, it has few edges. Especially the sides need care, it has nothing near to edges, you should be subtle there.
    And the eyes... They don't have such sharp outer eyes. They are turned away from us when we look at someone from the front. They often do look sharp because of the eyelashes but beginners often think they are sharp by themselves and it show in their drawings.

Oh, you are 26? I wish I started drawing when I was 26 But it's not like I plan to die in the near future so it's okay... Never think about such things ("I'm too old, others are, like, awesome when they are as old as me"), it's not healthy You will improve and your skills will be yours even if you are 30 or 40 and you probably will have many, many years to draw and improve. I know I will, drawing is too important to me even if I don't put enough effort into it yet.

Good luck

Thanks
    Thanks ShiNIN!

Bird skull studies. I'm least happy with the bald eagle frontal view.

Bald Eagle skull ref here

Great horned owl skull ref here
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    An acrylic painting I've been working with on and off for a few years. It's not that I've lost interest in it. I just often get the feeling like I don't know what I'm doing. XD
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    A character idea done without a reference...quite obviously XD Although it is suppose to be more comic-y but still.

Ahwell, sometimes ideas just don't wait for you to find the perfect ref.
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    ...I'm gonna go back to my people studies now -_-
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    hey man, thanks for stopping by sketchbook!
    - I am really liking those skull studies! Keep it up, and don't slack ! Oh by the way... Listen to shiNIN, he has some really good tips in that reply.. Peace!
    >>>Sketchbook<<<
    "First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.”

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ogihara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for stepping by my sketchbook! I've looked through yours and you seem to be on the right track. I like the colors in your first post. I would advice you to study more anatomy and poses, maybe attend a croquis course? I certainly know that I've learned tons by doing so.
    SKETCHBOOK below. C&C appreciated! UPDATED 21/04 2011
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=1#post3103356

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CornMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    my ears twitched when you said 'i dont know what im doing' with the acrylic, be confident in the fact that none of us do when we havent practiced something a lot until it almost becomes habit,and even then perhaps not.

If theres a partciular thing you think you CAN draw or feel like you know where to go step by step such as people for example,consider this "how did i start to draw people?" landscapes,people,vehicles,scenes,places,monsters work the same as trying new mediums attack it with all your experimental force and pay attention to what happens. If you're having fun,you're doing it right :3

go get em,tiger.

Will
    Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FootstepsBeckon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The shading of the shark's mouth is messy, but putting it abstractly, it gives the mouth a lot of power and "energy", if you know what I mean. I am not really good at shading myself, but I can tell you that you shouldn't rush the hatching process. Try to put the lines in harmony with the form (e.g. hatching straight lines on curved surface creates a flat look, which is un-harmonious with the curved form).

Edit:

In the end, there really is no right way to approach hatching. You can go all crazy with your hatching and use your values to still bring out the form. But your lines still have to convey form in some way (curved, flat, etc).
    Last edited by Vay; April 25th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast