Sketchbook: NSFW (nudity)-Sketches by a mango
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NSFW (nudity)-Sketches by a mango

hey all,

I've dropped some occasional notes on the critique forum and am now ready to show off some stuff. In the first couple post I'm going to be dumping some of my old stuff. But after this point forward I have vowed to get more serious with art! I will practice and study the basics in order to improve my foundation.

Anyway, here it goes.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by wooden mango; April 13th, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another batch.

Last edited by wooden mango; April 13th, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ref here. But I wasn't really trying to copy it completely, just get some inspiration.

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ref from here

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some figure drawing pictures. All done with pencil and ballpoint pen.

The last one is actually a drawing of a statue I found in some stock. I messed up the right side of her face XD but I kinda like it otherwise. Ref found here.

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heeey, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook.

It's good that you are getting serious about your work, so congrats on that.

You got some good imaginative stuff, I think it would help though working from life, or doing some life drawing and gestures to get used to doing people. I know it's sometimes hard to get to life drawing sessions, so this website is pretty useful for practice, http://pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html Theres another one too, and I lost it (which blows cause I was gonna use it too >:/ )

Anyway, keep rocking this sir.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's great, it's a big step to decide getting more serious on this. Last year I was in the same point, just thinking on practice and, carry on, whatever people said to me (I'm sorry, that phrase was kinda shitty, english is not my main lenguage). I recommend to you, practice on what I'm mainly practice, that is; Anatomy. First of all, I explore some on shapes, and figure (before get into bones, muscles, etc) and then, that I can undersand some things, I added some anatomy, basic bones and muscles. But I didn't stop practicing shapes and all that, just add some studies without leaving the other ones before, hope you can understand me. Lot of shapes and figure practices, and just the basics, without colors and all that.

BTW: Good sense of color on the "tattooed" girl, it's very nice!

Hope that help you, see you around

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Egg0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your last drawing looks like a big improvement. Keep at it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kmoeini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    While there are still some anatomy issues to be worked out, I really like your dog sketch!

Keep up those studies to strengthen your obvious talent.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for your encouragement and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

@Pleon: I have started using Pixelovely this week, actually I am going to upload some studies from it tonight. The other one that you're thinking of, is it by any chance http://www.posemaniacs.com/ ?

@Egg0: I understand what you mean. Begin with basic shape and form before getting to caught up with things like anatomy. And thankyou for the compliment on the tattooed girl, I used to throw too much colour down and now I try to use it more selectively.

@Kmoeini: Thanks! It's amazing how quick one can improve when they really focus and practice.

@Star Eater: Thank you! Not that this is an ecuse for bad anatomy but it was actually my first drawing of a dog, ever. SO I was pretty pleased with the end result. I was sort of scared when I started as to how it might turn out. That being said I will try again sometime soon and improve the anatomy.

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And as promised some more studies. I work full time so at first I wasn't sure when I would have time to practice but a half hour every other day at least really makes a difference and is quite manageable.

Last edited by wooden mango; April 7th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
    My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and for fun, a half finished peacock

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! great start to your sb!
    I can see some improvement in the peacokc drawing. The crosshatching worked really nicely on the feathers.
    I agree with what Pleon said, working from life is very helpful, still lifes are a great way to practice.
    Keep it up!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Voodoo Mama. I think this weekend I will try some still lifes.

And now some more stuff. The first is an old piece of work that I kind of gave up on followed by some gesture drawings and then a figure study/playing with markers

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work's really coming along nicely I can see a big difference between the last figure drawing pic and the first one you've posted

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ColourInProgress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And just a fun little doodle I did on my lunch break.

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and another doodle I did in pencil and brought home to do with dip pen and green ink. He could probably use some more scales...

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stopping by! As everyones saying you're definitely making great progress so far, keep on studying, Can't wait to see where you go from here!

(Insert witty remark here)

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Thanks for the advice on my Sketchbook. Like others have said u can see the way u are improving. keep up the good fight

Love, peace, Respect.....

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=217567

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're working hard! Lookin' good Keep the studies up, more more more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you've taken the anatomy advices into consideration, it really shows certain improvement, awesome. And that dinosaur is so goddamn adorable!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! It really does help when things getting a little daunting and I'm like "it's too late! I'm too old! Wasting my time!" well..not exactly like that, but you get what I'm saying.

@Pleon: thanks for checking up. and I'm glad you think the Dino is adorable. He's all fat and squiiishy.

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got a little discouraged with this one. Will probably try it again. I'm not sure I like pencil, I might go back to pen. Also, I totally need a bigger sketchbook for figure studies, 8X11 just isn't cutting it. Ref here

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too old and too late? unless ur 90 .. it isnt too late.. and im glade u started.. u need a year anad half to be good.. and 3 years to be a pro artist... so if u have 3 years left to live.. ur ok

thanks for stopping by my SB . .

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi there, youve got a good start going on in here! i like to see lots of anatomy, and studies when people start their sketchbooks! it means that your taking it seriously, and your not too content with your art at the moment, that is a bold statement! it means you want to progress, and in this corner of the internet is a really great place to do that. so my hats off to you! good luck, and keep working hard!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

33. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good improvement from first to last here, I like. Something that would help, I think, is to concentrate a little more on making solid 3D forms in your roughs. There are some exercises here that would help, even though some of it is directed to beginning animators.

You might also benefit a bit from this site, especially if you're starting to concentrate on anatomy.

Keep at it!

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Rain Walker: Haha, you're right. Just sometimes I get a little discouraged you know? Especially when I read people's bios and they've been at in since 12. Or even yet, I see 16 year old's who have some pretty awesome stuff. But you're right, I am 26 and have plenty of time to improve. And my friend pointed out that as an adult I have the benefit of being more self aware and critical of my work rather than "just doing it one way because that's the way I like to do it"

@Nickybeats: thanks so much! I really appreciate that.

@ Neszumi Works: Thanks so much for the resources. I saw you post the shapes tutorial on another thread and had been considering trying it out. Also that anatomy one is great!

My sketchbook

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So the first one is a a portrait of my cousin. I was pretty pleased with at the time but now it seems pretty flat too me. Also? that was the worst paper choice for pencil XD

The second is some 3D forms studies.. and some kissing robots.

My sketchbook

DA

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the bold colours combined with surreal elements in the earliest work you've put up. As for the more recent stuff - the picture of your cousin is good, I recommend doing some more portraits if you get the chance. In regards to it being 'flat'.. this is tricky to critique without knowing what your cousin looks like but try paying attention to the shape of the face and slightly exaggerating the shadows - generally beneath the cheekbones, to the sides of the forehead, around the eyes, under the nose (and in thise case, parts of the hair too).

Hope you don't mind but here's a paintover to try to show you what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/px0K4.jpg

Keep updating!

Last edited by Gavage; April 17th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been awhile but here is some more shape drawing exercises, figure studies and still lifes

My sketchbook

DA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2