Thanks

Teacher told me to do fanart?

Hello, I'm not sure where this topic is best suited to, but the lounge gets lots of traffic and I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about this.

I was explaining my project ideas with my teacher, saying how I'd quite like to design and then build some monsters, maybe some toy designs too, when they said I should think about doing sculpts of famous movie monsters and characters, because clients will see I can do them justice and add my own take to iconic characters.

I sort of see where my teacher is coming from, but is that not cheating? I'v never been one for fanart of any kind, though it would mean I could make a lot more models, since I wouldn't have to design them first (and the designs would be better) But is this not iffy legality wise? I would not be selling anything, but I dont know the rules.

I guess, I just need to know if it would A, actually be worth diddly to prospective clients, and B, be legal. Have any of you guys gotten jobs or into trouble because of fanart? I'd really like some info.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunseaker For This Useful Post:

jsn

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    When I first applied for jobs I had one or two pieces of fan art to showI could get a likeness or style. That doesn't show your ability to create though, just to copy.My advice is to do your own designs and throw in one or two fan pieces.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    This is not "fanart." This is portfolio development. If you want to work for Marvel, and you draw up some Spider-Man pages, that's not fanart. If you want to work for Lucasfilm, and you do tie fighter redesigns, that's not fanart. If you want to do fantasy book covers, and you do some Lord of the Rings paintings, that's not fanart. If you want to work in advertising, so you develop a campaign for Coca-Cola, that's not fanart. As a matter of fact "fanart" as a concept is pretty much totally irrelevant outside of Deviantart.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's only fan art if it sucks. If it's up to scratch, then it's a portfolio piece that shows you can do licensing work, stay on model, and generally be useful as a production artist.

Elwell beat me to it there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    This is not "fanart." This is portfolio development. If you want to work for Marvel, and you draw up some Spider-Man pages, that's not fanart. If you want to work for Lucasfilm, and you do tie fighter redesigns, that's not fanart. If you want to do fantasy book covers, and you do some Lord of the Rings paintings, that's not fanart. If you want to work in advertising, so you develop a campaign for Coca-Cola, that's not fanart. As a matter of fact "fanart" as a concept is pretty much totally irrelevant outside of Deviantart.
    Yeah, I agree with that, I was just using their terminology. I was thinking more on the lines of having a painting of darth vader or a tie fighter, not a redesign, which would be more creative than a copy.

Thanks
    Oh, well thats great then! My teacher actually used the term Fanart, which set me on edge throughout about the whole conversation and made me doubt it. Thanks for the quick replies and help, I think I'll do some of both, both movie and my own designs. Now I'm excited!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    A few years ago when I applied to the Games Workshop academy thing they had going on (I don't know if they still have it) they said in the guidelines that they wanted to see how you could tackle their I.P., instead of just submitting your own crazy ideas. For applying for a job, I guess a little of both is the good way to go. On Jon Schindehette's blog, whenever he talks about sending portfolios to him, he always mentions that he wants to see stuff that's relevant to the products he's working on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

jsn