View Poll Results: Which new voyage would you like to take?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • ismo

11 20.75%
  • Vertigo5

9 16.98%
  • agitpop

35 66.04%
  • JanJager

18 33.96%
  • android411

2 3.77%
  • cegan

0 0%
  • SIME

11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 685 Posts

E.O.W. Round 155 - Alt. History: Late Discovery of the Americas POLL(Winner: agitpop)

E.O.W. Round 155 - Alternate History Week: Late Discovery of the Americas

E.O.W. Round 155 - Alt. History: Late Discovery of the Americas POLL(Winner: agitpop)

Round 155:

Topic suggested by noche:
    Late Discovery of the Americas

Briefing:

Christopher Columbus never set foot on America. It was never discovered! 350 years pass from the year it should have been discovered. It is the year 1842, and a new voyage is finally successful... but what does this new world reveal?

Illustrate a fictional take of the New World at it's moment of discovery. Mayans, Native Americans, Aztecs and Incas were prolific cultures in science, astronomy, math, etc. Envison what their world could have evolved into. Vast architecture/cities, wild inventions, complex society, ancient alien visitation? Be bold and go wild since there's no need to be historically accurate in your representation!

This can be any part of America, not just North America alone. Also keep in mind that it doesnt need to be a coastal setting - they can be arriving into the heart of the continent. Backround stories are optional this week, but a captain or explorer's diary would provide an interesting outlook on your envisionment.

See Alternate History
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_history_(fiction)

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.

Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

ismo (not entirely finished but allowed for the poll)

Vertigo5

My first entry is a depiction of a gentleman explorer and his faithful mule as they first gaze upon the Navajo Nation, who have used the protection of the mesas as their capitol. Moored to one of the mesas is the great dirigible warship of the Navajo chief, Vulture.

agitpop

JanJager

cegan

android411

SIME

---

Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i loved this topic, great idea noche and vulgar! thanks. i am shocked there aren't more entries!

ismo- beautiful image, esp the sunset and the lights as well as the sense of vastness of the city! only critique is that the blue sky seems too bright and saturated and distracts from the cityscape etc. VOTE!

vertigo5- very nice. good composition and mood. excellent job on the sky. the airship is a great idea, but this one looks too familiar (western) imo. it would be interesting to push the idea of a completely alien design by the native americans???

janjager- great image, great concept. this is so creative and you have it figured out to the last detail including the mechanism and the passengers. love all the details and the vertiginous viewpoint. VOTE!

cegan- glad you reposted the update. it is much improved in the rendering. nice dark mood and sense of sulphuric industrial atmosphere. i think that a little more attention to the scale and perspective would improve it. good job.

android411 this is fun to look at, and loved seeing it evolve too. composition is very good. it is a very sci fi vision, but hard to connect it back t the native american thing for me. maybe some complementary colors would add some visual interest? strong image!

sime wow, love yours, would love to see it larger, too. rendering is tasty!!! love the design of the pyramid, the palette, the waterfall and the viewpoint. the pyramid's perspective seems to suggest the horizon is at the top edge of the page but the landscape suggests it is higher. this adds to the vertigo, so it seems to work for you in a way. VOTE!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to agitpop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Voted SIME and agitpop. I like SIMEs as a pure construction illustration, like this is what aztec architecture has become, and I like how Agitpop sort of captures the feeling of "300 years have passed and something's happened along the way." Great job from everybody.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Really torn on who to vote for, all very good entries.

I voted for Agitprop in the end because I really like the atmosphere and composition. I really like Vertigo5's tho, this one has a nice sense of story to it. JanJagers mechanical ideas are also very cool!

Good work people!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi guys I never actually finished mine so I was surprised to see it here in the finals thread, I still haven't finished it as I have been too busy lately but i thought I would post it as it is (in a higher res as requested), in the hope you guys could give some crits so I could maybe finish it and add it to my portfolio.

I voted for jan jager as I felt his choice of shot required a little more effort in terms of perspective and constructive drawing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think it looks really cool SIME. I like the warm sunlight tones and the overall design and rendering are very good. Crit wise, I would say the building blends in a bit with the background at the moment, you could maybe try bring this out a little more and perhaps haze out some of the far background and areas above it to bring the most contrast around the edge of the building to help bring focus onto it.

Something bothers me slightly about the perspective too, possibly the angle of the waterfall on the far right.

Hope that helps man!

Thanks
    Lightpunk :- cheers for that, I completely agree about the mist and will defo try and add some to really push that focal area, as for the waterfall it lines up exactly with my third vanishing point so it is drawn at the correct angle but clashes with the backwards angle of the rock above it. I agree it looks wrong but was unsure what to do about it, I think i might just have to cheat it so it looks right but it wont follow the correct perspective.... ohh well.

Thanks
    Sorry guys for not finishing up my piece. Unexpected work came along and I totally forgot this. Didn't even realise I made to the poll. Thanks for all the votes.

So many amazing entries in this round. Congratulations to everyone.

Vertigo5: Love the athmosphere in this one. The sky is especially very beautiful. The city lights could have used some brightening and the image seems slightly flat, but those aside it's a very cool piece.

Agitprop: Great stuff. Designwise this is a very strong entry. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the main furnace which creates the strongest focal point in the upper right corner. Personally I feel it's a bit too far in the corner. Makes the image somewhat heavy for the eye. Still a very tight entry.

JanJager: Mighty nice perspective, solid design and good composition, the winning entry in my eyes. Could have benefited from slightly more dramatic lighting.

Cegan: This has potential. The rendering is pretty good and you have nice mood going on here. There's still too many technical flaws, starting with perspective, that hamper the image. Also the image kinda lacks main focal point. Try to do more thumbnail studies and sketches to overcome these issues in the beginning.

android411: Nice futuristic take on the subject. Needs more hints of the American cultures though.

SIME: Beautiful athmosphere and perspective. Could have used some more storytelling. Great entry still.
    Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ismo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi SIME, actually yeah you have nailed it there, the vertical lines are all converging to a bottom perspective point, but the angle of the rocks next to the waterfall look more like they are vanishing above us. I think if you adjust these that will fix it.

Thanks
    Thanks for the crit ismo. I'll definitely do thumbnail studies and try and set up perspective correctly first, instead of impatiently jumping into rendering. I'm learning the hard way that no matter how much rendering I do, a weak composition will never become a strong image. haha.

Thanks
    ismo, thanks for the critique. i agree about the composition. it just kinda evolved and i was too lazy to figure out a fix in time.
    sime, it gets better every version you post. glad to see the larger version with all the details and textures more apparent. gorgeous. also think the foreground foilage is a nice refinement as well. feel like i want to set down and explore!