Sketchbook: Foletto in action!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Foletto in action!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Foletto in action!

Hello everyone, this might be my very first post on Conceptart if I well remember, which is not a reliable idea. The truth is that I've been visiting the website and forums over a year, lurking around and learning with comments. But tonight I decided to come out of the backstage to show you guys what I got so far, and maybe now I can get some help that is actually aimed to myself. I'd like to be sorry for two things already:
    1- If the idea of me lurking around and not contributing is kinda offensive, I'm sorry, I just was a bit unsecure, I still am, to tell the truth.
    2- My poor skills at English language, sometimes what I write just doesn't flow as a text. That probably applies to my drawing skills too.
    Plus, if there is any problem with the size of my images, let me know, I actually don't have a scanner so it's either me posting digital work or pictures taken with a regular digital camera.
    Enough talk, I'll try to post my whole work from last year, sorry if they were done in regular notebooks. I actually drew it during classes. And the last one, of a face, is something I'm still working on.

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by gustavofoletto; April 26th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I decided to don't give up so quickly. These are observation studies I have done this last year. The apple was actually an excercise I've found here in ConceptArt, which I think is very useful.
    And the guy I drew is a friend of mine that doesn't move a single muscle when he's watching other people playing videogames. It looked like a good oportunity for an observation drawing to me.
    I appreciate some feedback. Also, I'll try to start posting more recent stuff here. Sorry if my apple is too big.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color study from life

Just in case it doesn't look like it, it's a surgical tape I had around. Anyway, I tried to apply color theory, but I'm not sure it came up well, and I really don't know what to think about the highlights. I've been doing some study of muscles of hands and feet, but I don't have a scanner so that'll have to wait for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That tape looks great!

Can tell you are really trying to improve, keep up the pace and don't be afraid to do stuff from imagination either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start so far. I recommend studying from anatomy books (Andrew Loomis specifically), should help you improve in how your draw your figures. Keep it going!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys for the support so far! I'm trying to practice for longer periods everyday, little by little. I did this study from a picture, I drew only the bird itself, but tried to match the value of the water in the background anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again. So, I don't know how does that work, but I decided to post some work in progress here today. I actually only sketched the skull, but I liked it and decided to keep it going. Now I don't know exactly how to keep working on it. I feel like make a full sketch in another paper and then use a lightbox to keep the work.
    About the quality of the pictures, I really don't know what this is about. It kinda screws up with the darkest parts of the drawing and I really can't tell why. I don't own a scanner so anyone who has been through the same thing and can help me with that, let me know.
    I've been on the beach, so I haven't been practicing a lot, but I've been reading Loomis as it was recommended here. So I'll start practicing his theories as soon as I can!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man, Welcome to ca.org ! Well, first of all, i can see that you're lacking of observational skills ! You're drawing a lot from mind, but not much from observation ! hmm, just forget the values now, or at least do values studies a lot less ! For now, i think your main goal would be to improve your observational skills first, with only line, so take a sketchbook, and just sketch everything you see in front of you ( without values, just line for now ! ) And you'll notice quick improvment ! Remember, the more you're specific, and studying only a few things, the more you're improving realy fastly ! If you wanna learn everything at once, you'll end up learning nothing ! So, keep up the good work, and hope to see you improving !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Busan, South Korea (currently) Albuquerque, NM (hometown)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To go along with what kikindaface said, I'd check out Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - though it gets a bit technical sometimes, it helps with the basics of observational drawing a lot. And good obvservational drawing helps you learn how to draw well from imagination. =D

I think the tape turned out very well. =D

"Make them laugh. They'll have difficulty shooting you."

My Sketchbook

See more of my artwork at my website, Valliant Creations and my Deviant Art gallery (devart is updated more often than my homepage).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't post in a while. I've been studying in this university and I don't have a lot of spare time lately. Well, I scanned some of my studies in Design, more specifically, they're all still life.
    I wanna ask you guys how to get a better scan, if it only depends on the scanner or if there is something I can do to scan drawings made with regular pencils a little better.
    These are large PNG files, if I should make them lighter, please let me know.
    Thanks.. and hello again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff! Work more, post more.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zenarion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the support!
    I had a few human figure classes and now I've been weekly practicing with nude models during an art course in my university.
    Unfortunately I don't have any camera or scanner right now, so I'll just post a couple of portraits I did of my classmates while they were posing for other people.
    I've been intending to study Vilppu's videos and stuff like that.
    What I feel is that the most important is to keep practicing, which is why I've been working a lot with my sketchbooks, I even have been practicing on my commute whenever I get a seat.

Last edited by gustavofoletto; October 15th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, the semester is ending and I couldn't procrastinating more, so I'll update stuff I'm doing.
    I finished my first sketchbook and currently I'm working in two sketchbook at the same time.
    The big one is to draw in the figure drawing classes and draw my ideas and study other things. Regular stuff.
    The small one is to draw during the bus rides. Of course the result is not as clean as a drawing you can make standing still without all the shaking, but it's good enough to observational practice, I think, I'm actually almost finishing this one.
    I plan to at the end of the year take pictures of every drawing and painting I did this year and combine it in a mosaic or something like this, let's see how that goes later. Because when I gather everything I drew this year...
    Man, it's a lot of stuff, really. I hope I can keep this pace up during my vacation.
    Hey, I have a camera again, so now I can post the stuff I do more often. Next observation class we're going to draw in the city, just draw people walking by and stuff, it will be awesome, I'll try to post the results if I get any feedback at this one.
    And to show I'm taking business back, here's one of the bus drawings I was talking about, I decided to try pens this time. Used a 0.8 one and a 0.05 one.
    Cheers c:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gustavofoletto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I brought some unusual stuff.
    I had a rough wednesday but it was really productive.
    I didn't sleep working on some stuff due friday and had a photo shooting session at morning, but right before it I was invited to a figure drawing session which I didn't stayed for too long, but was really productive. And on my way home I drew the scenario while I was waiting the bus, there was this obelisk and this building surrounded by trees and I couldn't miss it. the contrast and composition of these works is not as good as I'd like, but it's a register afterall.
    I'd like to call everyone's attention to the figure drawing one, since it's the first time I post it here (Btw, anyone can explain me if this is nsfw and if I have to warn about it somewhere?). I did it in 10 minutes and I'd like to know if you guys think it's well spent time. I don't know if I'm working correctly with the time I have. Maybe I could have worked better in 10 minutes, I just am unorganized and couldn't work on this as much as I should.
    I'd really appreciate some feedback at this point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did this last night, challenged myself to do something in 1 hour and this is as far as I got. I didn't use reference, although I've been practicing figure drawings weekly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm so this is a really good start to sketchbook, looks like you've got the patience and the right idea of what to do.
    I noticed you have good over all ideas but you need to work on detail and rendering. which is something only time and practice can develop, so my advice is to just give it more time, keep doing what you're doing because you're doing really good.

this sketch and this sketch are really good.

with this piece , like i said.. you've got a lot of things going good for you, now i think you need to just observe artists you like and see what you can do to make your pieces more to your own liking.

awesome start, keep at it. also i like the pig butcher!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Shahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, sir! That was a great feedback!
    Here's my latest study, it's not completely finished because I limited myself 2 hours this time. I was in a really bad mood so I took a few breaks, I wasn't feeling like a problem solver this time who would get everything neatly done. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, so I went as far as I could. Anyway, I had lots of troubles with hips, arms and shoulders, then the jaw looked puffy, but I guess I fixed that, then I started drawing the eyes and that's where I stopped.
    Anyway, this isn't good enough for 2 hours, so I have to learn how to work fast again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a cute picture of my last study.
    Some parts are longer than they should be and the lenses a bit crooked, but at the time it all felt right, as usual.
    And the ant? No freaking idea, I didn't even notice it when I took the picture lol Just noticed it when I went to resize it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a couple of pieces I'm working on. Still trying to find the best composition and style. I also wanna try it with watercolors, wanna see if I have better control with traditional. I'm still not sure where this is going, but I have decided to start a portfolio and learn from my work along the way.
    Name:  SC_51.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  SC_47.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  103.1 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.