Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Steam Plush Gang - Finished - Updated 02/27/11

Hey all,

I'm not really looking for any specific type of crit or comment, I just wanted to share my current WIP.

It's a set of three Steam Punk inspired plush toys, a bear, a rabbit and a doll. I plan on finishing the rendering on the rabbit and then starting in on the bear and doing the doll last.

It's going pretty well so far but I don't think I'm pushing the values enough yet.

(just a thumb on this first post)
    Last edited by Truepinkas; February 27th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The bear and doll are just placeholders at this point.

The other composition I'm thinking about is the doll in the center and then the rabbit on the left, and the bear on the right turned inward. Not sure yet.
    "...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

Thanks
    Everything seem to be looking great, i think the nose is a little crooked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deepinonespersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love the colors you chose and the idea! The border is lovely too.

If you don't mind a little crit: The fur around the eyes is a bit weak though, as though you weren't sure what direction to draw it in. Generally with both plush and real animals the fur only has a pile in one direction, so either it would go over the hat or over the top of the eye but is unlikely to do both to that degree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormslegacy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Deepinonespersona: You are absolutely correct, I will fix that nose for the next post.

Stormslegacy: Thank you for the comment about the pile on his face, I hadn't really given it much thought but what you say makes sense. I'm also glad you like my boarder, that was like my 5th or 6th attempt. It isn't completely finished either, but it conveys the idea well enough for now.

I'm working on this little by little as time allows. I have a two week old who likes to be held a lot, but when he's sleeping, Daddy is painting hahaha.

Thanks
    Alright, I think the rabbit is done now. I'm pretty pleased with his overall look and the job I did on the textures.

Once the other two are finishes I'll do the cast shadows on the plain they are sitting on and the shadows they are casting on each other.

I will likely begin work on the bear next.

This project makes me smile.

Thanks
    So I've got my basic (and sloppy) costume design down for the bear. I wanted to make him a bit flamboyant, hence the pink shirt.

What I'm not sure about is the mustache and goatee. I kind of like them, and they make him a bit arch-villiany which is always fun, but my concern is that, well bears already have facial hair, and I'm not sure if it looks cool, or just silly. I'm leaning toward keeping it.

Thanks
    I'd say go for it. The facial hair thing is no problem and works with the theme. My opinion.

Are you lassoing things and coloring them in to get those solid shapes, or using illustrator or something? I like how you're building your shapes here.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Hey Quigleyer,

I lassoed for the rough, I had about 6 variations in my sketchbook that I just wanted to do some quick and dirty looks at in photoshop.

When I start work on the 'real' version I'll make the shapes with work paths (so they are cleaner and perfectly re-selectable) and then select and fill them in with a solid base color for each element. Then I'll add a/some layers on top of it and use the clipping mask layer feature (I clipping mask). It seems to be getting me the look I want for this piece.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Truepinkas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's going very well given my limited painting time presently.

I'm pretty pleased with the 'woolly' fur texture so far. Still a lot of work to do on him though. Not to mention the doll that I haven't even started yet...

Thanks
    The bear made me smile, you did very well at making him flamboyant! As for now I cant think of any crits other than the glasses looking rather wonky (sloping to the left slightly), but yeah, I can't wait to see it finished.
    Keep it up.
    "How'd you like them apples?"

->Sketchbook <-

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dsacc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I still have some work to do on the bear here, but he's coming along nicely, and is mostly complete. I should finish him today or tomorrow and begin work on the doll by Monday.

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    The bear is now complete and looking pretty snazzy. I might have his hat cover the boarder where they intersect instead of how it is presently. I'm also considering large gear(s) behind the rabbit to help bridge the compositional gap between the chars heads to help the viewers eyes make that jump easier.

Now I need to work on the doll, and once she's finished work a bit on integrating them all together a bit more with cast shadows. The reason I didn't integrate them from the beginning is that in addition to the group shot I plan on having prints of each character individually.

Overall I am pretty pleased with where this is presently, but feel free to point out areas I could make improvements.
    Last edited by Truepinkas; February 7th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Very nice teddy-bear, Truepinkas Good work,

only thing, which upset me, is the red light from the left side. Why is it on the hat, face and right arm, and not on his shirt, right foot???

yeah... really nice work, keep on working want to see it finished

20. The Following User Says Thank You to S_Gangl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Given the direction of light and the orientation of the two more finished stuff animals I'd say the one on the left (the awesome bear-thing) should probably be more in shadow cast from the bunny blocking the light source. That might bother only me, and I understand the concern with that as far as presentation purposes go, but that's all I can see right now.
    "She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast