Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts

Help, possible art rip off.

Does anyone know who made this image? Its being flaunted by someone, but something doesnt add up, especially the drop shadow sig twice on one image sheet.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Who's flaunting it though? Maybe they were comparing character designs? Is it the same artist?

Thanks
    Its for a contest for an alterative hero skin on a game I play called Heroes of newerth, I cant link the thread as you'd need an account to see it.

The idea is to describe your alt skin and use art as reference, others are posting art as so, but are not claiming it as their own, this guy however is, it may be his, but I'd like to be sure cause no one likes someone else laying claim to their work, right?

Edit* the guy in question is the one who placed the sig on the work, the style looks really familiar, I think i've seen it on this site, cant be sure though

Thanks
    How about you tell him you like his work and would like to see more of it. If he can't show anything, that's suspicious, if his work is of lower quality or completely different style, then that's suspicious. If what he shows looks similar enough then you can assume it's his.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kweckduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Personally I think that the "skill" with which the hair on the right image was photoshopped onto the image does not match the skill that drew the picture on the left, but I'm not unmistakable.

Kweckduck proposes some good points. Try him/her...
    -><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Eh.... so now everyone is art thief until proven innocent? Did he steal the picture from you? No. Did he steal it from your friend? No. Did he steal it from anyone that has a very distinctive style and that you recognize? No. What then made you think then that this is not his art? Your instinct? Or your spider-sense? Besides the picture is so uninteresting and cliche that it's not worth the effort.
    Last edited by Vari; January 21st, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    First of Vari it's steal not stole, second it doesn't matter what he stole, it could be an iconic drop of shit for all we care but the mere concept of taking something that's not yours and claiming it to be so is what we as a community of creatives should be angry about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It is all in our self interest to be vigilant about art theft.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I fixed the typos, thanks. I'll never learn that damn language and its verbs. French is so much easier.

My point is that the OP has no other prove or sign at all that the work is stolen. We must be angry about it, but not before we know that it's stolen. That's like saying - "the guy next door has a new car, but something doesn't add up... I better call the police, just to be sure. At the same time I'll alert everybody in the neighborhood, so they know that he is a thief." It doesn't work that way.

Thanks
    I am not like the police at all. It's appropriate to post here when suspecting art theft. It has been done here many times before often with good cause. Your point is taken and I deem that it has no value, as the lounge is a wasteland and he is interrupting nothing.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Then allow me to add my own crap to that wasteland. My point has as much value as your point, whether you deem it valuable or not.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    it may be his, but I'd like to be sure cause no one likes someone else laying claim to their work, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    I think i've seen it on this site, cant be sure though
    As far as I can tell he's not claiming art theft definitely took place, just that the piece looks familiar, possibly originally posted on this very site. Seems to me he wants to see if anyone recognises it also to either confirm or deny his suspicions. This is being entered in a contest after all.

Has he posted a link to this guy's profile? No. So there's no risk of people flaming this person for something they may not have actually done if it turns out that this is an original piece of work. If it turns out that this picture was stolen then hopefully the relevant people can be informed and this individual won't potentially be profitting from someone else's work.

Art theft is a problem, as can be demonstrated in several recent threads, especially with sites like this which offer artists a place to showcase their work to a public of thousands of people. There's nothing wrong with demonstrating a little vigilance

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stricken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As Stricken pointed out, I never claimed that I knew he/she has stolen this piece of work and all my evidence amounted to some instincts lol

I've sent a message asking if he has anymore work I could see, awating reply.

Like I said, It may be his, but I cant be sure I'm just being vigilant

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vari View Post
    My point is that the OP has no other prove or sign at all that the work is stolen. We must be angry about it, but not before we know that it's stolen.
    Which was why, I think, the OP was asking people here. You know, just to be sure?

Thanks
    try tineye?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Select View Post
    try tineye?
    I already did, no results found.
    -><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    Please, unless you find some sort of evidence, do not go around accusing people purely based on instinct.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.