Sketchbook: Berlin Life Drawing Studies
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Berlin Life Drawing Studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Berlin Life Drawing Studies

Hey! New to the drawing scene and I ve gotten really into the figure drawing thing. Been going to practice with a live model 2-3 times a week and then working through some bargue exercises at home. The live studies are from 10-15 min poses and sometimes a 50min pose. Hope you enjoy and obv critiques are very welcome.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295525858

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295525881

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295525773

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295525818

I ve got loads more but I don t wanna completely overload this with scribbles .

Enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by cquinn; January 21st, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Got another bargue more or less finished

Hey! Just got this bargue hand drawing more or less done. STILL not perfect at all by any degree but my best one so far. Theres still some touchups to be done so i m not taking it down and declaring it done yet but just wanted to put it up here. Thanks for checking this out.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295616169

Its charcoal. Most people seem to do them in graphite and some recommend that method. However they where originally done in charcoal and meant to be done in charcoal. I chose charcoal cause its superior to graphite in my humble opinion so I wanna get better at getting a refined look with it. Critiques are welcome and i think i ll analyse it and post my thoughts later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting a interesting project

I found a rad picture of michelangelo s pieta on the internets yesterday and I ve come up with a project to do with it. I was thinking charcoal and white chalk on some kind of blueish midtoned paper. What do you guys think? I ve never done anything like this before so its def a bit ambitious but guess that s how you learn right?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295689624

This is the photo.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1295689656

My first study of the photo. Just trying to get a feel for the form. I m going to get some chalk today and have a go with that and see what i need to do with it.

Thanks for checking this out and leave critiques please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a Study of the above subject with the intended materials for the final work in order to get a feel for the pastel and how this was going to look in the end. What you guys think?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296039409

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

YO!

Got some new work from last nights life drawing in berlin! If anyone here is in berlin you should come check it out. Its cheap and just str8 up 2 hr s of drawing live models!

I was playing around with some ideas using some shaded areas and then using sharp dark lines to accent and give movement to the drawing. What you guys think??!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296561778

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296561808

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello and welcome to conceptart.
    Itīs cool you started drawing and like your figure drawing class. If youīre just starting out, you might want to get a small sketchbook and a pen you can carry arround to do some studys from life. Itīs lots of fun and will help you to improve a lot. Have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made a bargue study as well. Its from the 3rd part of the book but i didnt copy exactly how they recommend. I do it about 2.5times the size in the book just for a interesting challenge and to mix it up a bit.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296567004

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296567035

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Katanasoul View Post
    Hello and welcome to conceptart.
    Itīs cool you started drawing and like your figure drawing class. If youīre just starting out, you might want to get a small sketchbook and a pen you can carry arround to do some studys from life. Itīs lots of fun and will help you to improve a lot. Have fun!
    Ya I just got one and have been hammering out some sketch s as I go about doing things. Great for making use of that in between things time while talking the train and whatever.

Thanks for the comment and best regards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last figure study looks good. There is something wrong with leg size being small, but it looks live.

If you don't mind, i have some considerations about head study in posts #3, #4.
    In my opinion, main thing with studying this photo is to catch correctly the head tilt and based on it to place face features very correctly in relation to each other.
    If we put vertical lines on photo we see for example that edge of lip is in the middle of the eye and edge of nose overlaps a little the eye edge.
    Besides, probably it is better to follow the rule 'the drawing has main light and main shadow and is not overall gray'. Here you can accentuate the shadow under nose and chin and lights on nose, under eye.

Thank you for nice studies and keep on posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Graworks View Post
    Last figure study looks good. There is something wrong with leg size being small, but it looks live.

If you don't mind, i have some considerations about head study in posts #3, #4.
    In my opinion, main thing with studying this photo is to catch correctly the head tilt and based on it to place face features very correctly in relation to each other.
    If we put vertical lines on photo we see for example that edge of lip is in the middle of the eye and edge of nose overlaps a little the eye edge.
    Besides, probably it is better to follow the rule 'the drawing has main light and main shadow and is not overall gray'. Here you can accentuate the shadow under nose and chin and lights on nose, under eye.

Thank you for nice studies and keep on posting!

Thank you for your input! I agree with the comments about mary s face. My girlfriend and I have caught that the one eye is quite out of place. This was a quick preliminary study to get a feel for the photo before getting into it more but then I got into it and it turned out to be a bit more so careful measuring and whatnot didnt happen unfortunately. I can also agree that the tones you mentioned arent as drastic as they should be. I believe the shadow under the nose was intentionally left a little lighter so it doesnt look like she has a mustache. In order to bring out the highlights under her eye though I would have to use some white chalk or something. The paper has a pretty strong midtone as it is and I was using vine charcoal on paper that doest really have enough tooth so getting things really dark doesnt really happen. I will keep these suggestions in mind for future work though.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More charcoal madness

Went out again for some life drawing last night. I was in a bit of a foul mood from a frustrating day so the drawings where a bit more emotionally charged then they usually are. I got more into applying that charcoal as aggressively as I could rather then being careful about what I was doing. The result is kinda interesting imo. First 2 are nudes from the same pose. 2nd is a clothed pose. She came out with this absurd outfit on and a hair dryer. I ended up taking a more conceptional route with this one rather then drawing her exactly how I saw her. I was going for kind of a badass rocker chick who s about to do something mean with her hair dryer.

Hope you enjoy and critiques are always welcome.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296645392

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296645416

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1296645438

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life drawing marathon is done for the week!

I did it! 3 str8 evenings of going to the life drawing group! 6 hrs of life drawing is pretty intense for a lazy ass like me. I can t imagine what going to school is like as thats basically all you do. Here s the results from the last evening. All are about 10 min poses and I was working on things like negative space, constructions lines and the one that looks like a monkey is a semi blind contour study. I think the results are pretty interesting and I ll def be doing these sorts of studies on more of a regular basis. Thanks for checking this out!

Name:  2011-02-03_drawings_2875.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  173.7 KB

Name:  2011-02-03_drawings_2876.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  2011-02-03_drawings_2877.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  2011-02-03_drawings_2878.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  97.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing session with some interesting developments

HI! Had a epic drawing session on monday as I had a little realization of a key idea. Its mostly how much you can represent a form buy drawing only part of it. Kind of a less is more idea. I m getting more and more compelled by the tonal aspects of the figure as I ve been making a study of a white sphere here at home trying to understand how to model something and get a smooth graduation of tone.
    Name:  2011-02-08_drawings_2881.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  2011-02-08_drawings_2882.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  91.1 KB
    I started doing a blocky kind of figure out of an idea from a picture in the book by Hale called Drawing lessons from the great masters. Epic book and you must check it out if you havent yet.

Name:  2011-02-08_drawings_2886.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  2011-02-08_drawings_2883.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  72.1 KB
    It around here that I got the idea of representing the form of the body by toning half of it and kinda leaving the rest for the eye to fill in.

Name:  2011-02-08_drawings_2884.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  60.0 KB
    Terminator is getting impatient .
    Name:  2011-02-08_drawings_2885.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  57.6 KB

Not my best session as far as getting proportions down or whatever but I think I made some interesting and important developments.

Thanks for checking this out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This weeks long poses.

At the drawing group mon and wed are short poses and tues is 2 longer poses of 50 min. One NOOD and one with clothing. The girl is a pretty awesome model. Spanish dancer!

Name:  2011-02-09_drawings_2880.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  115.1 KB

I m struggling with the longer nood poses. 50 min seems like kind of a awkward amount of time. its long enough that you can get kinda into it but not long enough that you can really get deep into it. I was playing with my photoshop elements and when i juice up the blacks and the contrast it gets more compelling so I think I need to go darker with the dark tones and it ll bring out the highlights more. I also did it kinda small and did nt use the whole paper. Bad move when using charcoal imo as it likes to work big.

Name:  2011-02-09_drawings_2879.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  97.6 KB

I liked this one. Almost seems like a story book illustration. That was completely unintentional though. Just sorta turned out that way.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sphere study

My latest project for myself has been a sphere study in order to understand tone to a greater degree. I bought a styrofoam white ball and set it up as a little still life and made this drawing of it with vine charcoal. I made it without a background in order to simplify and isolate it. I concentrated on getting smooth and true tonal changes to make it as 3d as possible. It s tedious but exciting and enlightening at the same time. I ve started to notice tones and tonal changes in things that I literally didnt see before.

Name:  2011-02-14_drawings_2889.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  125.1 KB

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 1 of the 3 day marathon is done this week. Got 3 interesting drawings from this session. I was really concentrating on visualizing her in basic shapes such as cones, eggs, spheres and cubes in order to get an effect of a more believable mass. The lighting also sucks at the group as they keep all the lights on in the room with no spotlight or concentrated lighting of any sort so for those poses where the light is very flat on the model using those visualizations helps for throwing my own lighting ideas on the model.

Name:  2011-02-15_drawings_2892.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  302.7 KB
    I took the shapes idea to a more extreme with this one. I find the shapes also help with figuring out the perspective problems when drawing.

Name:  2011-02-15_drawings_2891.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  2011-02-15_drawings_2890.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  178.4 KB

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More life drawing

Used a slightly different technique for these drawings. I m having a hard time with proportion and composing the drawing on my paper. Going to practice doing sight sizing with a new bargue drawing I have ready to go and also practice with some more shapes.

Another thought I was having is for my practice at home I m going to use graphite pencils. I noticed that I m getting very comfortable using the vine charcoal and drawings using graphite I find have a incredibly delicate feel to them. The tones are lighter, the medium is less forgiving as you can t push it around so much and it takes longer to but it down on the paper. I normally don t like graphite a whole lot as I ve never put in a lot of work to try to make something beautiful with it so I m going to muscle through it and try to learn something on the way.

Name:  2011-02-17_drawings_2897.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  2011-02-17_drawings_2898.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  2011-02-17_drawings_2899.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  2011-02-17_drawings_2900.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  128.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

monday night drawings

Heres the drawings from monday nights short pose session. Been working harder at getting a better outline and plan so that i can fix the issues with proportion that I seem to have. I really take my time trying to think get things better rather then rushing and getting as much on the page as possible but more taking my time and getting the right things on the page. Its slow going and most times I don t get much of a realized image but its going to be better this way long term for my work imo. Also went to the altes museum and checked out some roman figures and drew one.

Enjoy!

Name:  2011-02-23_drawings_2901.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  2011-02-23_drawings_2902.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  2011-02-23_drawings_2903.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  2011-02-23_drawings_2904.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  102.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! If I had anyone who was following this thread I havent stopped posting my works and thoughts. I just moved it to a blog as its easier and better for friends/family and I only have so much time for posting up shiz on the internets. Everyone is more then welcome to come check it out.

http://cquinnarts.wordpress.com/

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Du hast prima studien, deiner skezzebuch gefaelt mir.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.