View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teen Challenge 104: Ninja

Topic
    This weeks topic is ninjas! Use your imagination, everything goes as long as it's ninja.
    How does your ninja look like? Is he a master assassin, capable of slaying his prey in their beds? Or is he like Toshiru Wang? Or is he a rabbit?

Focus
    This weeks focus is anatomy and pose. Whatever your rabbit is, it needs an awesome ninja pose! And that requires anatomy, be it man-ninjas or beast-ninjas! Hyaaaa!

Deadline
    We're back to one week challenges now, so the deadline is Sunday 23rd of January, 23:59 GMT

You've got (almost) a week from now, so what are you waiting for?!

Last edited by Aksel; January 18th, 2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat topic, i'll probably be able to squeeze some work on this in .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww I had a good idea for this but I'll never get enough time to do it... maybe some day haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry Amy. Hate to break it to ya, but you're doing this. Even if you have to turn in a simple sketch. You can do this. I know you can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyctalgia View Post
    Sorry Amy. Hate to break it to ya, but you're doing this. Even if you have to turn in a simple sketch. You can do this. I know you can.
    He's got a point you know. Even if you don't manage to pull out a finished product, post some sketches in this thread. Look at last round, dile and ludic posted a awesome starts even though neither finished. It's best to put down your ideas on paper when it's fresh anyhow.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well when you put it like that I guess I have no choice . I'll see what I can do haha (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay here we go, started this a couple of hours ago. I don't think I'll finish but still it's fun (: Please excuse my awful effort at clothes because I'm rubbish :L

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was so prepared to do this challenge, but then I got swamped with schoolwork
    Anyway, here's a sketch. I doubt I'll be able to paint the image I have in mind before the deadline, but maybe I'll have enough time to just render him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started something but its not very good. Going to keep with it though. Its a Ninja Mexican Freetailed bat battling off with a Ninja Mediterranean House Gecko. Think im going to make geckos legs shorter like a real gecko.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Three very different ideas from me. I'm going to have to do a bit more sketching before I settle on anything and I'll see what I can do about crits tomorrow.

Name:  n1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  n1b.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  n3.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  n2.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  46.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so I am working on a little something for this... images later though. For now some crits.

AnyRainbow: Cute idea. I would fix the relative sizes of the cat and mouse. The cat would be larger compared to a mouse, and it would be a good idea to change its size anyways as right now it is the visually taking up as much space as the mouse (having two elements take up the same area in a picture causes them to fight for the eye's attention--subordinating one will create a more interesting image). Hope you finish it!

tempest-haze: Looks pretty good. I notice two things right away though. 1) he is not Asian, and does not really strike me as a ninja. Try pushing the concept more to fit the topic. 2) The legs do not attach to the body properly. Especially with the far leg, if you were to imagine a pelvis there it is really strangely placed. It is connected too high now causing the torso to look short.

wingal: I would try to change the composition a little. Try using values to push a focal point. For example, I had trouble seeing the gecko until I read your post. This is because all the values are very similar throughout the painting and the gecko is placed against the wing which is the same colour and value.

Pixie Trick: My favourite is the kid on the right in the second concept. He has nice gesture and stylization, plus it reads really well. I would love to see you explore that sketch with the same atmosphere you managed to achieve in the first painting.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit Andrew (: I thought there was something off about the composition so I've taken your advice and made the cat a lot larger. I Know I won't get this finished tomorrow though, I'm out partying tonight :L and I've got loads of work to do tomorrow, blegh. I'll finish it anyway though even if I miss the deadline (:

Pixie Trick I love the image of the little child best (: It's really cute and the style is unusual.

Hehe I'm still getting excited about this tablet. I've had it over a week now and I only just figured out the other end of the pen is an eraser... I was so happy haha... how sad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AmyRainbow: Looking much better! And partying instead of art? Pfft...LAME! Haha, just kidding, hope you have fun.

Alrighty here is my start. Most of it I did last night, and did a bit today. Yay for inconsistent lighting! Man, I have so much more to do on this one...will be tight for the deadline.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @tempest-haze- That looks somewhat Elder Scrolls IV inspired. Is it?

I might try to enter something, but I don't know if I'll have time...

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Andrew Sonea: Thank you and yes, I'll have to work out some anatomical/costume issues when I do the final lines. But don't you think that's a bit stereotypical for all ninjas to be Asian? A ninja is simply someone who has mastered ninjutsu, and while its origins are Japanese, anyone of any ethnicity can learn it.

I like your entry so far, by the way!

Zombie_chinchilla: haha no, I've never actually played Elder Scrolls, but the costume design was briefly inspired by WoW rogues, believe it or not

20. The Following User Says Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tempest haze: Double check his hair-line, its a bit wonky right now. Completely inconsequential detail, but it picked at me. I like that you're trying to avoid stereotypes, but the style of clothing, weaponry and pose bring to mind a western knight/fighter type trying to be sneaky more than ninja.

Amy Rainbow: Cute scene- I like it. Right now the mouse's head is getting all mixed up with the side of the cat's head and the background: making the ears either lighter or darker than the bg will help as well as shifting the head either more or less in front of the cat.

Andrew Sonea: Okay, so three legs and three arms? Hehe... alrightie. Great action filled scene which could be improved with a bit harder lighting on our ninja. That'll bump up the contrast on him and make him stand out more.

Gah... running out of time. Unless a miracle happens and I suddenly get another 2 or 3 hours in a day, this is basicly final. Off to take notes... blehhhhhgh.

Name:  ninjas.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  98.4 KB

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    12 hours left people. Keep em coming!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.