Sketchbook: mirem's sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: mirem's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mirem's sketchbook

Hello everyone! I'm a fifteen year old sophomore trying to improve my art, and I've finally decided to get serious. The first step is probably to get back to the basics, and then I really want to dig myself out of the hole I've dug with all the anime I've been drawing the past few years.

Any sort of advice would be amazing. I have no clue where to start, where to go, so anything you tell me is invaluable. I also have this problem of completely missing obvious pieces of information, so if I ask stupid things, I apologize. u__u Give me your harshest critiques! I crave critiques like an Polly craves crackers.

I guess I'll start with a pigeon, because that's one thing I want to improve on. I cannot draw animals to save my life.

Name:  000.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  85.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent a while drawing random things in my kitchen/room. Not sure how I should draw them.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  328.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a good pigeon!

Don't think your anime art has gone to waste, since many of the things you learned about drawing those characters can be transferred over to drawing people. I'd pick up some anatomy books, since figure studies are always a great place to start.

I also recommend picking up a book or two on perspective. One really good one that helped me was David Chelsea's Perspective for Comic Book Artists.

You definitely have talent. I look forward to seeing more stuff.

Please check out my Deviantart page: http://lucidstillness.deviantart.com/

Also, please check out my sketchbook thread!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=202280

And while you're at it, why not check out my finished gallery thread too! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=202283

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! :] I'm already quite impressed with your motivation to break out of such a constricting art genre, and to start from square one and work your way to awesomeness. And honestly your pidgeon is fantastic for someone who claims to not be able to draw animals!

I suppose some advice to start would be to start studying some drawing anatomy books on either animals or people or both, and start sketching regularly. Sketch anything, including doing some studies from life. You could use anything from your room really, and just put it in a position with a good light source so you can start practicing and studying the way light and shadows form something :]

And books, you can never have enough books!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, another great book is Life Drawing by Robert Barret. If you can get a hold of it, it should power up your human anatomy like crazy, with all kinds of helpful measurements for different bodies and studies on how to shade human forms effectively.

Please check out my Deviantart page: http://lucidstillness.deviantart.com/

Also, please check out my sketchbook thread!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=202280

And while you're at it, why not check out my finished gallery thread too! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=202283

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If all your stuff is this good now I can't wait for your progress.
    Just be sure not to let natural talent go to your head cause allot of times Young age+Amazing talent=exploded head lol i'm so imature... sigh
    but great posts And welcome to CA dudet!!!

FEEL FREE TO BASH OR LIKE MY SKETCHBOOK (either or is great 4 me)
    SKETCHBOOK
    My "Weekly" Comic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm very impressed by your still life studies (I suck at those).

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ultarant
    Thanks! Although, birds are probably the only animal I can draw. Cats on the other hand are a whole other story... As for books, I went through the artist reading list and found Bridgman, Loomis, and Vilppu online. Found some Hogarth too. And yep, definitely need some work on perspective.

@Myszt
    Thank you! Been drawing a bunch of things, but I hate shading in glossy objects. I get confused to whether it's a shadow or a reflection sometimes. D:

@Medusoid
    Haha, thanks! I'll try not to let it get to my head. All I have to look at some other amazing sketchbooks on here, and I am humbled. u__u

@trexmaster
    Thanks! Let's both work hard!
    ---
    Okay, so today I drew a few more things in my room...and attempted a self portrait for the first time in years. Which ended horribly. More room to improve!

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  225.2 KB

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  197.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Saw your thread on taking art classes over in the Art Discussion forum. Good to see that you have now made a start on things.

Well, you're 15?!!!! good age to start! I wouldn't start worrying about getting discouraged, like you mentioned in art discussion. You have many many years available to you yet. Just don't give up.

Keep doing what you are doing. Draw what you see, from life (I need to do more of this myself). By the time your 20 years old, your drawings will rock!!!

Also, I think there's nothing wrong with manga/anime, but what I do believe is that you should learn anatomy properly first. Many people mention to study Bridgman and Loomis. Also life drawing classes if possible.

All the best, Good Luck and Happy Drawing!!!! GO >>>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your still lives. Your crosshatching style is the kind that I just cannot seem to resist. Very clean and pretty - especially on the tangerine, good job on that.

That's a very good first attempt for self-portrait - now remember the stuff you learned from anime like 'one eye space between the eyes' and whatever else to help get the proportions right. You should check out the books others have mentioned too.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that finals are over, I have more time to draw!
    Looked at some Loomis. Hope I'm doing these studies right. D:

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  273.4 KB

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  307.8 KB

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  108.9 KB

Sketchbook!
    Feedback would be wonderful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mirem, yes they do look about right

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.