Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #167 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Muscle Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #167 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Muscle Study"

Spartan Camp #167 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Muscle Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 23nd of January.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Free Choice Muscle Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

A pure anatomy challenge! Pick a muscle, muscle group or if you want- a couple of muscles, and study this. Listing and learning the name(s) can help you remember them. Find out what they attach to, and how they function (extensor, flexor, etc). You could choose some major muscles to begin with.
    You will need good reference for this. You can use any anatomy book (Bridgman, Loomis, Hogarth, ..) or any other reference (make sure the source is sound!)
    Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #166

YUZworks
    Vertical
    Angel Intheuk
    J@n!t
    Wingal
    Iarchist
    aprat
    zy.

Last edited by Anthis; January 23rd, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like this optional
    So... how the drawing should look like? One or two muscle or the whole musculature of a body part or what?
    Why do we need a reference? what if we are so totally awesome to know it by heart? references are problematic, they are incompatible with each other, well I trust Bridgman if nobody else, his stuff is merely stylized/exaggerated but that just helps and it's cool

I'm seriously in this week, I try to stop avoid drawing bodies. I'm sillier than ever, don't take me too seriously.

Let's make this a great round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One, or a couple. Make sure you do a study where muscle(s) are the main focus. A study is for learning purposes, hence reference is advised. Working on mine!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool i got a star by my name ! Question about the muscles does it have to be human body?

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just to clarify- sunday is the 23rd, not the 22nd. Is our deadline Saturday or Sunday (Sunday Sunday Sunday :-P).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello

Hey how is it going everyone! I been wanting to do this for a while and finally im going to try and do this. Since this is my first one i wanted to do just gesture drawings. I think next time i will do the chanlenge with the gestures. Here they are!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work Joe! You're really good at seeing the simple forms of the skeleton. Have you ever tried using pixelovely's gesture drawing tool as an alternative to posemaniacs? it uses real people with less crazy angles. http://pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html and PoseSpace photographs in rotation if that's a feature you like to use http://www.posespace.com/posetool/Default.aspx

Okay here's my start.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey

Vertical
    Hey great job on the gestures so far and the comment you gave me. Also, thanks alot for those links. That is really going to help me out alot im real thankful for that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem Joe!
    Went to a figure drawing session today and here's what i drew.

sketchbook blog tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [..]

Went into hip area a bit, especially gluteus maximus/medius. And some spare gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zy. - fixed! deadline is always on sunday.

Joe777k7
    - Welcome and nice gestures. Very strong balance on the first bunch, did you use any specific reference? The ones where you have also drawn the spine seem to be strongest. You don't always have to draw them though, it can be enough to 'keep it in mind'. 35-38 have a very effective approach, those poses are very fluent and organic. Nice work!

Vertical -
    ; Careful with the proportions in the first post! Keep in mind the figure 'as a whole' while drawing individual areas. Absolutely love the figure drawing work. Very effective drawings. I'm seeing charcoal in some of the later studies, but are your first figure drawing sketches done in pencil? Interesting to look at those techniques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again just made it! I almost decided to have a week off as I've been having one of those 'wow, I really can't draw' weeks, but I told myself that I can only improve if I keep going. So here I am again.

All horse gestures again. 30 second each. I wanted to focus on the deltoid for my muscle but I ended up fitting in a few others around it anyway.

Joe777k7- seems you have a great handle on proportion, my favourite thing is how your lines seem to convey real weight, I think its mainly how the legs are really well placed. May have to study your studies to see how ya do it =D
    Vertical - I like the texture your line shading gives, I think the proportions are a bit skewed sometimes, are you drawing at an angle or maybe you need to use more construction lines? Your anatomy is very realistic though and the life figures seem mostly a lot better proportionally than the first page of sketching
    Anthis- I like how tightly you went into the details, yet keeping it soft, it gives a nice 3D effect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joe777k7: Nice energy in your later gestures. The mannequin-style gestures that you started with could use some of this energy.

Vertical: Looks like you had fun at figure drawing You might want to take a look at the way the calf, knee, and thigh tie in together. Sometimes your calves look pinched at the top, as though you started them too far below the knee.

Anthis: Glute studies show a good understanding and are aesthetically pleasing.

Larchist: I can’t get enough horsie drawings You don’t seem to make any consistent anatomical mistakes, either.

My gestures this week focused on laying them down faster. These are 30-60 seconds.

It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

My sketchbook (it'll get good near the end)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Anthis-Great shading! I've always found it hard to make it look like there's skin over my anatomy. It was all charcoal, I just held it looser while doing the quicker poses I guess. The third pic has some marker in it.

Larchist- Excellent work! Great job breaking out of laziness. I like how you broke up the horses into simple shapes. The anatomy study is really cool, I like how you went for a theme instead of just drawing.

J@nt- nice job! Maybe instead of shortening your time limit, leave it at 1 and take an extra thirty seconds just to think about the lines you'll put down. A little thought in each line goes a long way, I think. Seems like you're using only curved lines, maybe think about straight against curve. Straight against straight can look dead and curve against curve can look too soft. Don't know if you intended this, but in the first image on the top right the figures look like they're interacting, which is awesome.

Okay, here are my last gestures with a style study of Egon Schiele, an artist an ex-instructor who goes to my figure drawing sessions told me about, and thigh-calf-knee stuff like J@ant suggested.

sketchbook blog tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back with more sketches!! Sorry, I'll post comments after I get back from college! and the muscle study too.. Been working on some hands for awhile now.. Drawing with a pen sure isn't easy :/

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Round 2

comments comments!

Joe777k7 : Heyy, a new member! That’s a great start I liked #37 the best for its fluidity and few lines..

Vertical : Wow o.O those are some great gesture drawings, liked the one on the blue paper the best.. and your drawings are neat! Ink pen? They seem to have a lot of life in them

Anthis
    : aah, not much to comment on your work, you’re already very good at this.. thats some super accurate gesture drawing! How about experimenting with different media/subjects and getting out of your comfort zone? just an idea

Larchist
    : lovely horse studies! Very animated gesture drawings The muscle study looks great as well, nicely rendered..

J@nit : Warming up before drawing could be really helpful in reducing the many lines laid down for a drawing I thought the last few drawings seem to have captured the gesture better with very few lines..

---

Aand I've completed a Spartan Camp round for the first time!

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    late... don't have internet at home, and was too lazy to venture out last night. I chose a shoulder study, shoulders:neck:head are my current focus so this was a great challenge for me. Everything else from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm. Yes I do draw on tea-soaked paper (that's 2000 years old!)

Joe777k7- I really like the work you did with the figure pointing the gun. I thought this was a great study idea.
    Vertical- Love the hatched lines and dark shadows. Sets the anatomy well.
    Anthis- Thanks for the hip study. I learn a lot from looking at other people's studies, so I really do appreicate this! Beautiful soft shadows and lines.
    Larchist- Glad you could make it! Yeah, I was haivng one of those weeks too. But your pictures don't show any such trouble Also, beautiful study!
    J@n!t- Quick maybe, but well put together, deffinitally. Nice studies.
    Sharon J- Nice job with the hands, one of the hardest parts of the body to get a feel for!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey

Thanks alot everyone for the comments! I think everyone did a great job and i got alot of ideas from your posts and learned alot. thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round, lots of muscle studies too! A new round is up. I'll get back on some of the comments here!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.